FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
This should bring a tear to your eye.

Rowan Atkinson injured in McLaren F1 supercar crash

The actor Rowan Atkinson is recovering in hospital following a crash in his high-powered McLaren F1 supercar, it has been reported.

By James Orr

7:34AM BST 05 Aug 2011

The Blackadder and Mr Bean star is believed to have lost control of the £650,000 vehicle which spun off the road and hit a tree before catching fire.

The 56-year-old walked away from the wreckage and was looked after by another motorist until emergency services arrived at the scene.

An ambulance took him to Peterborough District Hospital, Cambridgeshire, where he is suffering from a minor shoulder injury, it was claimed.

A spokeswoman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “Crews brought the fire under control by 8.13pm. They made the vehicle safe and used one hose reel to put out the fire.

“There was one casualty but he was not trapped.”

A spokesman for PBJ & JBJ Management, which represents Atkinson, confirmed that the star had been involved in an accident but said he would not be commenting at this stage.

Mr Atkinson is well known for his love of fast cars and recently recorded the fastest lap time in Top Gear’s Star in a Reasonably Priced Car.

He told presenter Jeremy Clarkson he was keen on racing and was currently driving a 1964 Ford Falkan.

But his racing expertise did little to quell his nerves before taking on the challenge, he admitted.

In a clip of the show, uploaded on to YouTube by the BBC on July 22, Atkinson said people would “assume that in the reasonably priced car I will be very good when there's absolutely no guarantee of that whatsoever”.

But the Blackadder actor notched up the fastest ever time on the show, completing the circuit in 1 minute 42.2 seconds.

The crash happened yesterday on the A605 in Haddon at 7.30pm and no other vehicle was involved.

The McLaren F1 is one of the fastest production cars in the world and has a top speed of 230mph. Mr Atkinson is expected to be released from hospital later today.

A Cambridgeshire Police spokeswoman said yesterday: “There has been a single vehicle road traffic collision near Haddon.”

Perhaps his record hot lap on Top Gear had gone to his head:

[youtube]JOg_smPzq5A[/youtube]
I thought he did this once already?

Obviously he has some difficulty with McLaren F1s so should maybe stick to the Mr Bean-mobile. :hehe:

Sure was the 2nd time he's binned it.Fractured shoulder blade was his injury.
Car looks far worse from behind,he walked away but the car did catch fire.Most of the rear end is missing.
Rowan...yes, that was somewhat reckless :hehe:

Massive motorsport fan though, he's always at Silverstone and Goodwood... and he's a comic genius on top of that. :clap:

Comedic genious alright, I'm laughing at that hideous car color!

Massive motorsport fan though, he's always at Silverstone and Goodwood... and he's a comic genius on top of that. :clap:

Look who's talking (signature Porsche) - he who lives in a glass house and all that :wink:

Look who's talking (signature Porsche) - he who lives in a glass house and all that :wink:

You're just upset because it happens to be the exact deep plum color you choose for your toenails. :yes:

You're just upset because it happens to be the exact deep plum color you choose for your toenails. :yes:

Close.

See our F1 related articles too!