FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
By Stephen
I feel that this car deserves its own thread, it doesn't really fit into the existing 'Ugly Car Thread' as this clearly falls under the 'what were they thinking' thread (which no doubt someone will one day create!).

So here it is - the first car to fall from the ugly tree, be beaten with the ugly stick to within an inch of it's life, only to then attract herpes of the face:
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/06/ne ... ction.html

Beauty is subjective and IMO, at times it isn't really "ugly" that we wrestle with but the lack of beauty, the missed opportunity for something that could have been... the knowledge that with a minor change here and a slightly different angle there you'd be able to transform the aesthetics of something. Perhaps that's the premise a good plastic surgeon would function under.

To me part of the reason this car "not attractive" notice I didn't say ugly :) is the fact that it doesn't need to exists, there's no valid reason for it to have been made, and the Mini itself is a perfect vehicle for a few different demographics.

All that said, if you change the C pillar, that car would be fundamentally transformed into something cute.
By myownalias
Guess it follows the recent line of BMW designed vehicles; let's face it the latest generation of BMW's are hardly lookers.
By myownalias
The vast majority of BMWs have never been lookers.

But they've outdone themselves with the latest generation of BMW's; I personally quite liked the old shape BMW's!
By The_Stig_Money
Nobody over 5 feet tall would fit in that car,

Let's take a mini and chop 4 inches of the roof
By myownalias
Nobody over 5 feet tall would fit in that car

I'm 6ft 1in tall and I could fit in the original mini (before BMW bought Rover/MG); but couldn't drive it because I couldn't move my foot from the accelerator to the brake and vice versa. :hehe:

So most people should be able to drive the new Mini Coupe; the question is would anyone want to?
By acosmichippo
I'm 6'3" and was quite comfortable in my friend's ~2004 Mini. Granted, I wasn't in the driver's seat, but it had much more room than i expected.
By myownalias
I'm 6'3" and was quite comfortable in my friend's ~2004 Mini. Granted, I wasn't in the driver's seat, but it had much more room than i expected.

I can fit in the passenger seat and even in the back (although I had to fall in/out the back seats) but drivers position isn't so comfortable; you lose 3 - 4 inches of leg room because of the pedals!

See our F1 related articles too!