FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For computing and gaming discussion (incl. batracer)
By myownalias
The first laptop running Google's Chrome operating system has gone on sale in the United States.

The Samsung machine replaces installed software with browser-based apps which store files online.

Google claims that the technology enables a new way of computing, removing the need for features such as anti-virus software or optical drives.

However, many applications available for Windows, Mac and Linux do not yet exist for Chrome.

The Chromebook is available in WiFi only and WiFi and 3G models for $429 (£266) and $499 (£310) respectively.

It is expected to sell for between £349 and £399 when launched in the UK in August.

A second Chromebook, made by Acer is due to start shipping soon.

Sundar Pichai, senior vice president for Chrome, said at the launch last month: "Most people spend all their time on the web, and for the first time we have distilled the entire computing experience to be about nothing but the web.

"End-to-end, I think your computing experience will be far simpler, safer and faster."

Some early reviews of Google's Chrome OS have criticised the system for its poor usability when offline.

Ruper Goodwins from ZDNet said: "For all the things that are on the web browser, this works really well - better than anything else. But for all the stuff you do on the desktop, it doesn't do very well at all.

"The idea that this doesn't matter - that you're always connected and always online - isn't quite true yet. The idea is very good but it's a little premature."

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13785546
I've been working with wireless data for nearly 20 years. The first time, I was first asked to connect an 8 lbs bag phone to a com port so a lawyer could use it as a modem to access transcripts back at the office when he was in a courtroom. This was in 1992. At that time I knew everything on the cellular portion but had no idea was a com port was. I've worked setting up states and counties to be able to provide wireless access to police officers on the field to criminal databases and motor vehicle records since the late 90's. When a cellular wireless PC card could get you 19 kbps and people loved it! Today you can pump through 1.5 or 2 mbps sustained, and even see over 10 mbps real world throughput with some cellular broadband technologies.

The point is, that although devices like this Chromebook, are ahead of their time in concept, it is really the direction we are heading in. Does anyone remember the Apple Newton and compare that concept to an iPad? In a few years the idea of the Motorola Atrix smartphone, that you dock into your Android laptop will be the norm. I've really enjoyed seeing the technology go from a nascent niche to an globally adopted don't leave home without it kind of product.

The term wireless internet access itself will cease to exist eventually because it will all be wireless.
you are right, it is just right now (in the UK) anyway I feel that there are too many cellular black spots for a cloud device to work.

If I lived/worked and never left the middle of London then I am sure I would feel differently.
this is the best chrome device around. It helps me do the shopping as well

WB when is it expected that there will be world wide wireless connectivity?
this is the best chrome device around. It helps me do the shopping as well

WB when is it expected that there will be world wide wireless connectivity?

Ahhh cylons... the only baddies with worse aim than stormtroopers. :hehe:

Oh and to answer your question it actually exists today with satellite, but it's all a matter of how much you're willing to pay for that connectivity while in the middle of the Amazon or the Serengeti.
I suppose but the use of SGT's and Sat Phones are a little out of the reach of a normal user.

However the Suitcase based ground terminals are not very convenient to carry around.
I suppose but the use of SGT's and Sat Phones are a little out of the reach of a normal user.

However the Suitcase based ground terminals are not very convenient to carry around.

I know but I've worked with a customer that set up a cellular network in a suitcase! Wild stuff for remote long term projects... in time everything comes into its own... like I said, remember the Apple Newton?

Price and Battery life are always the two biggest hurdles to overcome.
I wouldn't use something like the Chromebook because it simply doesn't suit my needs as I need lots of physically connected storage and a much faster throughput than the Internet provides at this time. That coupled to the unreliability of cell networks and even wireless (wi-fi) networking/internet connectivity. We already rely too much on the Internet on our current machines and when the Internet goes down; it's crippling but at least we have the option to work offline, the Chromebook doesn't have that ability for the most part because all your files are stored online.
I wouldn't use something like the Chromebook because it simply doesn't suit my needs as I need lots of physically connected storage and a much faster throughput than the Internet provides at this time. That coupled to the unreliability of cell networks and even wireless (wi-fi) networking/internet connectivity. We already rely too much on the Internet on our current machines and when the Internet goes down; it's crippling but at least we have the option to work offline, the Chromebook doesn't have that ability for the most part because all your files are stored online.

:yes:
And I wouldn't use it either! But I'm speaking merely from the standpoint of history, this device is not ready for prime time today like the Newton wasn't ready for prime time 20 years ago yet the idea is what's having apple selling a gazillion iPads today.

Like the idea of the Motorola Atrix and its Laptop dock. It's not a new ideas but we're starting to see the technology and capability to see functional devices like this and it's easy to project that in 20 years, that's how we'll be buying our next communication device that also happens to be our computing device.
It is almost like going back 30 years and having dumb terminals.

and playing text based MUD games.
It is almost like going back 30 years and having dumb terminals.

and playing text based MUD games.

lol yep... If anyone remembers them the Lone Wolf Series of books can be downloaded.

See our F1 related articles too!