FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.

Boxter S or Evo X?

Boxter S
36%
Evo X
64%
By acosmichippo
Help solve a debate I'm having. All things considered (speed, handling, practicality, reliability, price, etc), what would you rather have?
By madbrad
Before I go and research the two cars on an abjective level, I pick Porsche because it's Porsche. I'm using criteria you didn't list. Actually, I'm not going to do that research. I think you knew that.
By myownalias
Personally I would go for the Evo X because I have previously driven an Evo 5 and it was fantastic fun with it's four wheel drive system. I believe that the Boxter S is a rear wheel drive so will offer lots of thrills but I don't expect it to have as much trick gadgets to keep you on the road like the Evo. I have never driven a Porsche so I can only extrapolate on driving the Boxster!
By f1ea
Porsche. BUT if you're already looking into a Porsche, why not go all the way for a 911??

Obviously, it costs more, but you could probably find an older model in great condition, and it will be better than anything else you compare it to.

No offence, but to me, the Mitsubishi is a toy car. A great toy to have! but still a toy. That said, the Boxter is a toy Porsche :hehe:
By acosmichippo
This is more of a theoretical debate. I'm not actually choosing between these two cars.

Friend of mine said he wanted a Boxter S, and I told him "pfft. Just get an Evo X and save $20,000". Not to mention it's 100x better in wet and snow. Has two full rows of seats and a decent boot.
Last edited by acosmichippo on 25 Apr 11, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
By scotty
Evo every day of the week. Handling is an unknown but it's better in every single other department, for me.
By madbrad
Evo every day of the week. Handling is an unknown but it's better in every single other department, for me.

It's not better at being a Porsche!
By scotty

It's not better at being a Porsche!

Ah, but it's better at not being a Boxster. :P
By Stealthgate007
And you know what I would say for being the proud new owner of a Porsche right?

The Evo X... Hells Yeah!!!!!! :rofl:

but for real Boxter all the way.. I have two friends one had an Evo.. The other has a 2000 Boxster with 120K miles. I'd still take that car over an Evo.. There is no substitute..
By audis4gasm
It really depends on who you are though, if you are older than 30, I'd go for a Porsche. It also probably gets better gas mileage. But if you're 20, this is still a nice car... the ladies like it a lot, and would love to go for a ride in it as opposed to a ride in an electronics manufacturer.
However, if you go skiing and love blasting through a dirt forest road for fun, the Evo X all the way. I am the latter and would always buy the evo, it's a bit more practical if you're single as well, and I think it's a bit better than saying "I just couldn't afford a 911", but most people aren't into cars and think that a porsche is a porsche.
By Gaz
The Boxter is a nice enough car but looks wise i think its ugly.

And its a convertable which is also pap.

The Evo is going to be more practical and more fun, and its better looking imo.

but price range wise i'd consider a Mazda Rx8 its as fast a the Boxter S better looking, has 4 seats and isn't a convertible and you can get a practicably Brand new Rx8 R3.

and its a proper sports coupe not a saloon car
By The_Stig_Money
I voted Evo, but if it was a 911 i think those are "faster" cars
Two completely different vehicles with a diametrically opposed heritage. I will leave the subjective "beauty" aspect aside since we're all going to have our different opinions, and so will just focus on the raisons de vivre of both vehicles.

The Evo started out as a sensible mid priced family car and it was tuned to the hilt by Mitsubishi for the purpose of capitalizing on a market segment. Fair enough, but in my opinion it is a soulless piece of manufactured machinery, one for which I would have loads more respect for if it had been created or born from a street tuner culture instead of a company wanting to cash in on kids with more money than car craft tuning talent.

The Boxter on the other hand started out as a clean slate design to pay homage to the Spyder of old. It is one of the most balanced performance vehicles ever built, that alone gives it a notable mention in automotive history. The Boxter (and the Cayman variant) is purposely kept underpowered by Porsche because otherwise the mid and lower echelon 911s would be red faced out on the track.

See our F1 related articles too!