FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
Streisand effect anyone? I had seen the episode of Top Gear and it hadn't registered with me. Now that there is a court case I am reminded of it and the glaring difference between what the "average driver" could get out of it and what someone giving it the beans can expect out of it. I also had completely forgotten the part with the brakes breaking.

Top Gear - 1
Tesla Motors - 0
I have pondered this for a while and still keep returning too the idea that the Tesla has a 'cruising range' of 200 miles. So atleast to me that implies a non-aggressive/track demeanor and just cat footing down the highway in cruise mode. Yet I'm not sure if an EV is the same in that aspect as a combustion engine is??
Theses stupid lawsuit are a waste of everybodys time and money.

Nobody in there right mind would base there purchase on advice from JC.

Customers should sue Tesla when there car only does 199 miles, the factory says 211.

This might be the same lawyer Ferrari uses, or that guy in Brazil that wanted to press charges against Massa
I conclude Tesla are circling the drain.

After seven full calendar years in business, Tesla Motors have yet to turn a profit. Last year they more than lost $150 million USD. Presuming they show 10% profit per car, at that pace they'd have to sell an additional 15,000 units annually to break even. Except Tesla Motors have not sold 1500 units in its entire history. How are they supposed to sell 15,000 per year?

This Top Gear episode aired more than two years ago. Why bother defending problems in a two model-year old product except to conceal your inability to mend it?

I think Tesla are desperate for any source of income so they can hold out to the release of their 2012 "S" model. Perhaps they believe they can intimidate Top Gear's solicitors to settle quickly and they will show a handsome profit from the affair. But the success of the "S" model depends largely on a government tax credit which, in turn, will depend on the re-election of President Obama.

Top Gear once had a 3-series Bimmer marking a Prius around their test track with the Toyota on full boil. JC harangued the fact the BMW got the better fuel economy, but Toyota did not see fit to sue.
I conclude Tesla are circling the drain.

After seven full calendar years in business, Tesla Motors have yet to turn a profit. Last year they more than lost $150 million USD. Presuming they show 10% profit per car, at that pace they'd have to sell an additional 15,000 units annually to break even. Except Tesla Motors have not sold 1500 units in its entire history. How are they supposed to sell 15,000 per year?

This Top Gear episode aired more than two years ago. Why bother defending problems in a two model-year old product except to conceal your inability to mend it?

I think Tesla are desperate for any source of income so they can hold out to the release of their 2012 "S" model. Perhaps they believe they can intimidate Top Gear's solicitors to settle quickly and they will show a handsome profit from the affair. But the success of the "S" model depends largely on a government tax credit which, in turn, will depend on the re-election of President Obama.

Top Gear once had a 3-series Bimmer marking a Prius around their test track with the Toyota on full boil. JC harangued the fact the BMW got the better fuel economy, but Toyota did not see fit to sue.

I remember that stint, but didn't the Bimmer just sit and tailgate the Prius the whole test? Wouldn't that draft have given the car and additional 20% fuel economy? :D

The point that Toyota got and Tesla doesn't is that Toyota IS selling hundreds of thousands of units, and no one that drives the Prius is looking for performance, while the suckers that plunk down cash for the Tesla are buying it because of the performance claim.
I think Tesla were overambitious with their plans and at £88,000 it's too expensive for many people's tastes, especially when you can get an actual Elise for much less money! Like any battery powered vehicle, the harder you push the car, the more power is used; nobody drives a sportscar like a Prius. I agree with the people above, it's a desperate attempt to keep the company alive!
I think Tesla were overambitious with their plans and at £88,000 it's too expensive for many people's tastes, especially when you can get an actual Elise for much less money! Like any battery powered vehicle, the harder you push the car, the more power is used; nobody drives a sportscar like a Prius. I agree with the people above, it's a desperate attempt to keep the company alive!

:yes:

Eco/Green and performance imho do not go hand in hand. We all hopefully know/realize that a racing engine produces less harmfull emissions than most road going gasoline combusion engines.
nobody drives a sportscar like a Prius.

And nobody buys a Prius to drive it like a sportscar!

People buy Prius' to ease their conscience because they also own a 8 litre V10 gas guzzler ;)
No one with two functioning brain cells buys a Lotus saddled with the extra burden of 450 kilos of batteries. Being seen driving a Tesla says, "I care about the ecology and global warming. I'm bloody stupid but at least I care."
nobody drives a sportscar like a Prius.

And nobody buys a Prius to drive it like a sportscar!

People buy Prius' to ease their conscience because they also own a 8 litre V10 gas guzzler ;)

Sell the V10 and Burn the Prius and get this
Porche 918

98mpg!

As for the Tesla its utterly pointless unless you want a EV track car and own a trailer (or live next to a track) and why not save a load of money and buy an Lotus Exgie or Elise.
With gas prices in the direction they are going I'd love to have a VW polo now LOL.

Gas prices are cheap in the US compared to the Europe, it's currently just over $3 per gallon here in Kansas as opposed to £1.33 per litre in the UK right now, there's 3.7 litres to a gallon!

See our F1 related articles too!