FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Questions and answers about going to a race weekend
By Frosty
Not sure but you can get paddock club tickets for around £4700.
By Bulletproof
Not sure when they go on sale, but we went to last years inaugural race and it was ace. It was my first GP as well.

We paid about 60 quid for a three day pass (walkabout) and although amazing value and you really felt the atmosphere etc track visibility was restricted and they had hardly any big screens where you could see the track and screen at the same time which really annoyed me.

However on race day we went onto the "big wheel" balcony ( private space for about 60quid) and had a great view of the track with a screen right in front of us, and it wasn't packed out either. Plus we had drinks on hand all day. It was better than a stand seat IMO and there was a posh party afterwards.

Also book your hotel tickets way in advance as they get very very pricey at GP weekend up 300% in places. If your looking for budget, Lavender road is a good place with the MRT station close by you can get to the track pretty quickly. And their transport in general is blooming amazing in Singapore as is the organisation. I was well impressed how they organised so many people in a city centre track.
By Shamrock321
Sounds like you had a good time bulletproof, unless a lotto win comes my way soon I wont be doing Singapore this year but hopfully next!

I booked my grandstand tickets for the nurburging last week and was stunned when they arrived 3 days later! Ive been to Hockenheim, Monza and Spa over the last 3 years and the tickets didnt come until 3-4 weeks before the race, is this normal with the Nurburgring?
By Huggs
Hey bulltproof,

thanks for the heads up. sounds like you had a great time.

I am determined to head to singapore this year, especially as race day falls on my birthday. Tickets are on sale soon but boy are they pricey!!!!! Were you dead serious when you say crowds gather from 6am? I just can't do that. I too have a dislike for crowds.

What do you think...

Buy tickets in singapore?
go for general tickets or spend a few HUNDRED more on stand seats?
Save my money and go for the "big wheel" balcony???

Huggs.
By Bulletproof
Hey bulltproof,

thanks for the heads up. sounds like you had a great time.

I am determined to head to Singapore this year, especially as race day falls on my birthday. Tickets are on sale soon but boy are they pricey!!!!! Were you dead serious when you say crowds gather from 6am? I just can't do that. I too have a dislike for crowds.

What do you think...

Buy tickets in Singapore?
go for general tickets or spend a few HUNDRED more on stand seats?
Save my money and go for the "big wheel" balcony???

Huggs.

Where did I say crowds gather from 6am???? Anyway they don't. :)

Obviously the race, qualifying starts from abbot 7ish (pm) so although people are coming and going all day (to watch support races etc) the busiest time is from 5ish onwards. But Singapore is simply an amzingingly clean and organised place, with public transport simply excellent so the crowds all flow very well.

As I said we had walkabout tickets for £60 for the whole weekend, so a real budget option. But I do remember they had plenty of tickets for sale at the circuit on the day so I'm sure you could buy tickets once you arrived but not sure on price and would not guarantee availability.

I thought our spot on the Singapore flyer balcony (big wheel) for race day was spot on (although obviously you need the walkabout tickets first as the flyer is within the circuit), we had a good view of the track (although it was on a straight) there was a big screen in front of us, and the people had provided speakers so we could here the commentary. There was a stand right in front/below of us an IMO i though our view was just as good if not better than those in the stand. It might be worth e-mailing the Singapore flyer management and see if they are offering the same thing again this year.

We flew Singapore airlines on the A380 (Amazing) because we were spending three months in Asia and it was the best deal for us. But I know that AIR ASIA have started "easy jet" style flights to Singapore or Kuala Lumpor for some real low prices so I would try them if it's budget you are after.

I'd recommend 2 hotels, depending on budget

Robertson Quay +spot on hotel right in the heart of Singapore, excellent value out of F1 season (although rooms are relatively small) so I assume if you book early it would be relatively good value at race weekend (guessing £100 a night for twin/double)

Fragrence hotel,

These are a chain of clean but no frills hotels, fragrence Lavender is probably the best bet for GP weekend will be cheaper than the Robertson Quay.

Good luck mate any other questions just post a reply :)
By Huggs
Thanks a lot Bulletproof,

That was really helpful. I read another post on a differrent site which desdirbed the whole 6am thing. Sorry mate.

As a result of the way you have described your experince, I have made up my mind and intend to go. I know I should try to live and let enjoy my own experience but for such an expensive sport I would rather spend as much time getting it right. I have never been to an f1 race (ashamed to say) and chose singapore especially as any race dissapointments can be cushioned by a holiday.

I will let you know how i get on

Cheers.
By SingaporeSling
I happen to live in Singapore at the moment, and went to GP last year with visiting Friends who've been before in Spa, Hockenheim, Budapest and Silverstone, and everybody enjoyed the race here for various reasons. Number one the easiness of getting in

From the local news I've been following that:

First set of tickets (the expensive lot) on sale starting from 9 April. Anything between 500-1500 S$ , better seats but a bit on the pricey side.

Second the cheaper lot on sale on 20 April. This includes walk around tickets and the Bay grandstand where you can get 3-day tickets from 250-300 S$, which equals around 120-140 pounds. Which I think is pretty ok for F1 nowadays for a numbered seat and TV screen, especially if you on the lower part of the GS TVs are close enough to enjoy unblocked view. I personally go for these ones, cause I have to live on a budget. If no financial limitations I'd go for GS at 1 or 2 turn, but the 1200 Sing is a bit too much, as I can get tickets for myself, missus and 2 friends at the Bay and :drink: the rest.

Early bird prices until 50% of each category is sold.

Hotels just next to the course cost you an arm and both legs, but if you willing to go for no thrills room and a shower a bit further away 100S$ night is not impossible. But that's really no thrills and other customers are usually booking for hourly rates :wink: But even those places are safe and clean in Singapore. if you need company to share your bed that probably adds another 200S$. In current economical situation even the better hotels are likely to be a bit more reasonable compared to last year.

Good thing is that everything is close, public transport works well and taxis are not expensive.

About crowds;
last year on Saturday there was a little chaos going on when people were getting in and out of the Bay, which is the biggest GS. On Sunday it was already working better, and I'd assume that this year it is better planned from the beginning. Actually getting in and out to the area in general was pretty smooth, Spa's been always much worse.
By Jabberwocky
Hey, has anyone entered into the corner naming contest?

Yes, entered it twice, sssh don't tell anyone
By SingaporeSling
Hey, has anyone entered into the corner naming contest?

Yes, entered it twice, sssh don't tell anyone

Did you win? Results are out already btw and all winners were locals. My nick is one of the winning names.

See our F1 related articles too!