FORUMula1.com

F1 and Motorsport Forums

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
User avatar
By vegas
#8971
Im sure they were overwhelmed by the unbearable heat standing within 10' of that fire. They didn't have layers of nomex on and a helmet like the driver. It was incidents like this that led to track marshals wearing more heat resistant clothing and helmets. To be honest I would have driven on by along with the others. Its hard to explain why.
User avatar
By madbrad
#8975
Old accident footage always looks so alien now. Not even a local yellow until They were shamed into it, not full course yellow, no SC, no red flag, It's not like these days. I haven't even got into the total lack of medical covearge in those days. The drivers wanted to hold on to the gladiator mentality as long as possible.
User avatar
By 130R
#8983
vegas wrote:To be honest I would have driven on by along with the others. Its hard to explain why.
I like to think that maybe the other drivers who drove past saw Purley and thought he was the driver of the burning car....
User avatar
By madbrad
#9012
Then who's car was that parked on the other side of the track with Purley's number on it?
User avatar
By 130R
#9015
madbrad wrote:Then who's car was that parked on the other side of the track with Purley's number on it?
I was giving them the benefit of the doubt!
User avatar
By johnbull
#9053
I haven't seen the clip but I'm sure it's Roger Williamson you're talking about.

Yes, what a shame. I had met Roger and his mum and Dad, and his girlfriend who used to travel on the red bus with them everywhere, at Monaco.

What's more, a friend of mine from Leicester - where Roger lived, was one of his close buddies in club saloons where Roger raced a 1000 Anglia and Don raced a 1000 Mini, then Formula Ford, and later Formula 3.

I met Roger at Monaco F3 the year before Tom Wheatcroft gave him the f1 drive.

There is an excellent book called I think "The Lost Heroes" which covers the life of Roger, Tony Brise, and Tom Pryce, all young British hopefulls that died far too young.

    McLaren Racing opened its new state-of-the-art Rac[…]

    Madring was a pretty dull race. I wouldn't mi[…]

    Not sure yet, but it looks that way - Kimi is on[…]

    Max Verstappen 33 Support

    No chance with this year's Red Bull car (and […]

    Swap-in out addons, use only what you really need!