FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
I have often thought about this myself. Parabolica is a brilliant corner and it would be sad to see it go, but I was wondering what other people think about the idea on the (rather inept) diagram I did on paint below. Assume, by the, that all of the necessary safety precautions have been taken. The red line shows where the current track could join the old one and where Ascari could be relocated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I would like to see banked corners return. Even if it's a slight banking like the old Peraltada at Hermanos Rodriguez (before they put that baseball stadium on the inside of the corner) or the banking at Indianapolis that would really put F1 back in touch with it's true roots.
It would be nice to have some intresting aspects of a track return to F1. some of the new tilk tracks that have been turning out are same old same old. Each track should offer something challenging for the driver and not just make it just another f1 race.

Hokenhiem - the long straights out into the forest (removed)
Monoco - need I say more
Spa - La Source, Eau Rouge
gilles villeneurve & Suzuka the best hairpins

magny cours used to be a good track till they ruined it =(

I could go on.
I would like to see banked corners return. Even if it's a slight banking like the old Peraltada at Hermanos Rodriguez (before they put that baseball stadium on the inside of the corner) or the banking at Indianapolis that would really put F1 back in touch with it's true roots.

+1
I have often thought about this myself. Parabolica is a brilliant corner and it would be sad to see it go, but I was wondering what other people think about the idea on the (rather inept) diagram I did on paint below. Assume, by the, that all of the necessary safety precautions have been taken. The red line shows where the current track could join the old one and where Ascari could be relocated.

What you've drawn there is pretty much what I drive on rFactor :D

I think it would be quite challenging for the drivers, as well as the teams, but I can't see it passing FIA safety standards without some work. Still, this looks brilliant:

I'd love to see cars whizzing around that :)
By f1maniac95
I think that would be a brilliant idea having banking at Monza again but |I very much doubt that it will pass all of the FIA's safety tests.
Would the very low (to the ground cars) be able to run on the bankings??
If the current gradient was a problem, could they construct new banking nearby which fits safety standards and the cars' designs?
If the current gradient was a problem, could they construct new banking nearby which fits safety standards and the cars' designs?

Make the cars adapt, not the track :D

They'd just have to come up with a balance. It'd make Monza more difficult, since you couldn't just opt for the low-downforce, low-height option - they'd have to come up with a good compromise so that they could be fast on all the straights without losing time on the banking. And the gradient shouldn't be too bad - it's not like a modern F1 car could slip off. If they could drive on it in the '60s, then they could definitely provide enough speed and downforce to keep glued to the track these days.

Of course, if there's a crash... :/

But this is what it should be like:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=f4M3O9S8mtM
As much as I like the idea of a return to the banking it just would not pass the FIA safety crew. It is too steep and if a crash happens it would be made 5 times worse because of the gradient.
Bring back old Hockenheim!

:yes:

See our F1 related articles too!