FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

From your dishwasher to F1 memorabilia, advertise here! For regulars only.
By Master Asia
So far I've read Lewis Hamilton's book "My Story" which I highly recomend if you haven't done so already. Anyone know any good novels about Shumacher or Senna? Please link it, thanks!

Also, where can I watch the whole entire race of the 2008 Brazalian GP? I missed the second half of the race where Lewis makes the godly finish! Either in the Internet or any replay available?
By Rivelution
McLaren Fan knows quite a bit, I remember asking him about which Senna biography I should get. He know's a lot, if you ever want to know something about F1, ask him.
By McLaren Fan
McLaren Fan knows quite a bit, I remember asking him about which Senna biography I should get. He know's a lot, if you ever want to know something about F1, ask him.

Thank you. I'm flattered. :blush:

I don't know a lot about Schumacher books, but I know a little bit about Senna books and biographies. There is one which seems to sell well that was "written" by Tom Rubython. He basically plagiarised the whole book, for I think he was the editor of the official Formula One magazine, so nabbed articles etc. that other people had written and passed them off as his own. And you can tell, for most chapters feel as though they written by different people. As a lot of the book has been in articles, most of the material was already known, and some of it ended up being repeated from chapter to chapter. Rubython actually succeeds to make Senna look an inferior driver than what he was by running down Prost so much. There is a chapter with a grisly account of Senna's injuries and death, which was really uncalled for. I didn't see it coming,and, after reading it, I felt physically sick and had to put the book down. The only good thing about the book is that is fairly comprehensive, albeit almost to the point of being tedious.

The Death of Ayrton Senna by Richard Williams is a decent book. It doesn't have a lot of the information that "Rubython's" book does, but his analysis of Senna's character is much, much better. You see the good, the bad and the ugly of how Senna operated. Another author, Chris Hilton has a couple of books out on Senna. Many of them are old and the material is spread all across them. He does, however, have a relatively recent book out called Ayrton Senna: The Whole Story, which brings the majority of it together. His writing style is also slightly less of an insomnia cure than Rubython's book, too. Incidentally, I think he has a book out on Schumacher, but I've not read it, so can't really say what it's like, but most of Hilton's stuff is pretty decent.

Overall, then, I'd say as a good general book to get you started on Senna that has all the key facts etc., I'd recommend Hilton's The Whole Story.
By 7UpJordan
I;m currently reading David Coulthard's autobiography. I've read "The Life of Senna" which was a good read and also "Eddie Jordan - An Independent Man" which I enjoyed.
By zurich_allan
Rather surprisingly, the best F1 related (and of course CART related) book I've read (and I've read quite a few) was Alex Zanardi's biography. A really good read that is quite moving at times, especially when reading about the aftermath of his horrific accident. Gives a great insight into the issues he had at Williams in 1999 too, some things that I'd never heard mentioned before. Not a huge name in F1 terms of course, but I gained a huge respect for the man after reading his story.

Secondly (and unashamedly biased being Scottish), David Coulthard's 'It is what it is' was a very enjoyable read, with a lot of material covering both his time testing for williams whilst Damon and Senna were there, the events surrounding his being granted the race seat, His relationship with Mika and a whole lot more. It's not too heavy going either.

I got one of JYS's biographies a couple of years ago and nearly fell asleep half way through...

Going against the grain here also, but I quite enjoyed Rubython's Senna book, though you do have to read it with a pinch of salt at times...
By Master Asia
So many books to read, I'll start with the Autobriographies since i enjoy reading those more. Kinda feels like I'm expereincing something in their point of view and has some kind of feeling where your talking to the person lol...

See our F1 related articles too!