FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Could be an interesting race on Sunday as Renault have given Fisichella their new engine which is more powerful than the one Alonso is currently using. Under the new rules, Alonso must stay with his current engine (or face penalties) however Fisi's retirement from Bahrnain makes him eligible to use the new engine. He said "I have a fresh engine and a bit more power from the new spec so that gives me a fantastic change for this race. I believe we have the package to win in Imola".

The engine was due to be introduced in round 5 at the Nurburgring however Renault pushed the engine development program as hard as they could when they learnt that Fisi could have his engine in the fourth round if it was ready. However, Renault have said that the engine's early debut may make them conserve some of the engine's theoretical performance to ensure that it stays entirely reliable.

I think it will be interesting to see if they do conserve some of the engine's power (not sure how we can tell just by watching though!) or whether Fisichella drives the engine to the max. I hope that he doesn't have one of his "off" days and I hope he's allowed to really push the engine because I'd like to see how the engine compares to both Alonso's 'old' engine and also how it compares to the other teams :)
By R00DIT
I think he'll need more of a boost in power to win races, still love his in-car commentary from Bahrain:

'Dis f***ing car' gLOL!!! :D
By Stephen
But this is a make or break weekend for Fisi, if he fails to outqualify and outrace Alonso he will be dropped, perhaps even mid season if my F1 contacts are to believed. :shock:

He's made a hash of 2006 so far, only redeeming himself with one race win.
By darwin dali
Allegedly (according to Flabio) Renault hasn't pushed the cars all season long. They haven't used the top 600 rpm claiming if they did, they would have been another second faster per lap. No reason to believe that they suddenly would push Fisi's car, especially since it's already more powerful - issues with reliability could interfere as well.
I think GF is a hot candidate for pole (anybody who's tipping out there). For the race, MS/Ferrari will definitely have a word or two to say about the outcome - it's their home race after all. They announced many improvements/problem fixes and labelled Imola as the starting point for their 2006 championship campaign.
By simac
oh dear, didn't seem to do him any good having a few extra horses - I wonder how Alonso will perform with the new engine ?
By Stephen
oh dear, didn't seem to do him any good having a few extra horses - I wonder how Alonso will perform with the new engine ?

Yes, I completely forgot he was even in the race until you mentioned it! ;)

See our F1 related articles too!