FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By ronnet
I read in formula1.com FIA rules & regulations:

"In the first two 15-minute sessions, cars may run any fuel load and drivers knocked out after those sessions may refuel ahead of the race. However, the top-ten drivers must begin the final 20-minute session with the fuel load on which they plan to start the race. The amount of fuel they use in that 20 minutes, as calculated by the FIA, may then be replaced prior to the race".

Does enyone know: How does the FIA calculate the amount of fuel to be replaced? The cars are not simply weighted before and after the third session to get the amount of fuel used!
By darwin dali
Every driver gets a certain amount of fuel per lap driven during the final quali session - around 2.5 to 2.7 kg or so (it varies by race track, some are high fuel consumption, some are less). Number of laps credited depends on speed driven - if a lap is completed too slowly (not within 110% of the fastest lap of that driver I think), no fuel credit is given. Not entirely sure about the figures in this statement, but the procedure is as indicated.
By Stephen
Yeah, that's my understanding dali - until they modify that section of qualifying anyway! :shock:

Oh and hi ronnet! :)
By ronnet
Thanks Dali and Stephen!

Before asking I searched the entire net but did not find any explanation! Your reply is enough for me but I have to convince others too! Can this information be read somewhere in detail?

Thank you much!

See our F1 related articles too!