FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
By Marco
I need to save half my life, but quite like these cars. Can anyone recommend it or know of any issues that could put me off?
By simac
Well, i've never driven one but I think they are the dogs danglies especially in VXR trim !!

Thing is, they have stopped making it because the Holden it's based on has been stopped :cry:

But I have seen pictures of a new one (below) The new one will be AWD and have an almost MPV style seating arrangement which can be folding flat etc.

If you after a used one, could be hard to find. My local VX dealer never have them in.

The new one looks fantastic IMO

By simac
Here is the blurb which Holden released with the photos:

The SSX is an all-wheel-drive crossover sports hatch prototype that heralds the next-generation of Holdens.
Fully drivable, the SSX is a luxury four-seater sports lifestyle machine which combines high output V8 performance and AWD handling character with cargo carrying convenience. Its flat-floored, multi-purpose load area is accessible through a large rear hatch and can be extended by folding the back seats flush with the floor and dropping the fold-down end gate.
Peter Hanenberger, Holden Chairman and Managing Director, believes vehicles like SSX will complement the off-road AWD capability of cars like the upcoming Cross8 as Holden enters a new era of manufacturing flexibility based around families of niche vehicles.
"SSX is our vision of the future. It is the cream of Australian design and engineering expertise channelled into a car of world class standard. It heralds a family of low ride height, inspirational all-wheel-drive niche performance vehicles that could become reality in less than two years."
Michael Simcoe, Holden's Executive in Charge, Design, says the widetrack SSX can be described as the ultimate expression of Holden performance, but it is also a clear expression of how functional a range of niche vehicles can be.
"We're asking questions with this showcar. We want people to tell us if a flexible performance vehicle like this is something they'd like to see in a few years. We're saying that where we are with the Commodore SS right now isn't necessarily the only way to go. We intend to expand the range with more and more inspirational niche models with a variety of powertrains, drive systems and innovative body styles," he continued.
"Like the Cross8 all-wheel-drive with off road capability that's due for release next year, the low ride height SSX is based on our versatile V-car platform - and both vehicles point to a new era of production flexibility at Holden," Mr Simcoe said
The sleek SSX (SS + Crossover) is the product of the company's biggest ever concept car project. The young Holden design team members credited with bringing this exploratory vehicle vividly to life are senior exterior designer Max Wolff, interior designer Warrack Leach and colour and trim designer Kirsty Lindsay.
Set apart by more than its brilliant 'Kryptonite' green finish and slick, black-on black interior, the SSX announces its high output V8 performance potential with a wide track stance, wheel arch extensions over 19-inch magnesium alloys, front fender vents, Venturi-style aerodynamic underpans - punctuated at the rear by twin central exhausts - and dual aircraft-style fuel filler doors.
Styling cues are VY Commodore with a more aggressive edge - in front a bold, deeper facia with twin projector headlamps, foglamps and exclusive grille. At the rear, the hatch is cleverly integrated and edged with a slim black spoiler. Specific blackout tail lamps set SSX even further apart.
In the passenger compartment, there's more 'wow' factor in the form of black leather sports seats in 2+2 configuration, bisected by an elongated centre console in brushed Titan silver. Elsewhere (on the sports instrument cluster, leather-wrapped steering wheel, transmission shifter, for example), more silver accents complement matt black, soft-feel trim finishes. In effective contrast, the high-mounted multi-function display screen, instrument and climate control clusters and auxiliary switches are red-illuminated.
The rear load compartment comes in for equally stylish treatment, its matt black floor bisected by stainless steel wear strips, and side storage compartments finished in Titan silver. With either or both of the rear seats folded, the steel-highlighted floor finish continues and an integrated rear storage bin remains accessible.
The Holden SSX design concept is powered by a high output, 5.7 litre Generation III V8 engine. It forms part of the extensive Holden display at the Sydney International Motor Show and can be viewed from October 18 - 27 inclusive.
By Freddie

Hey there is something completely wrong with that car - they put the steering wheel in the wrong side ROFTL - how stupid can you be ???

:roll::wink::P
By Stephen

Hey there is something completely wrong with that car - they put the steering wheel in the wrong side ROFTL - how stupid can you be ???

:roll::wink::P

Only freaks have left hand drive! :wink:
By simac
Hand bags at dawn :lol:

Anyway, as Marco asked - is the Monaro any good ? I personally think it's a very nice motor and very unique, my only gripe is that they didn't keep the Holden badge on it.

Also, I do around 20k miles a year and wouldn't fancy feeding a thirsty 5.7 V8 :lol:
By darwin dali
It's retarded that's what's wrong with Brits and descendants who stick with old traditions. Same here in the US: they still use Fahrenheit, inches, ounces, gallons, etc. - totally moronic! Totally userUNfriendly! And the students at school get all confused when introduced to metric units and don't manage to master either at the end. At least they drive on the right side...
It just doesn't make sense to render your right hand (most people are right-handed) useless and make the less coordinated left hand manipulate the shift stick or the radio, etc.
By Stephen
I do actually agree with you, it's flaming annoying to have consumption measured in MPG (miles per gallon), yet when us Brits fill up we measure fuel in litres...

In my opinion, it would be to the benefit of all to drive on the same side of the road. That'd mean i could buy some of your cool american cars without paying for costly conversions!
By darwin dali
Sounds good to me;-)

BTW: the only non-metric unit I prefer over its metric equivalent is miles. You do about 60 miles per hour on average, an hour has 60 minutes, so it is very easy to estimate how long your drive will be. E.g., 90 miles equals 90 minutes. Try this with kilometers!
By bud
DD id rather have control of the moving vehicle with my prodominant arm, right arm! gear shifting isnt as important as car control.
Having read that article just goes to show the right lane drivers are just rebelling against the proper way! the lil man napolean spreading it like a disease through europe! damn the french are w**kers!! :roll: and the yanks debritishtising themselves! funny they kept the language guess learning french was too hard for them slave owners!

Up side of japan is i imported my car from there, big business with grey imports from japan to aus and uk, with the jap import craze alot of yanks wish they were left side users ;)

metric is pretty damn simple to understand! i dont get poeple that have trouble coming to terms with it.

On the monaro they are built about 20 mins drive from me, theyre nothing special, i know people that make them i wouldnt drive one :P haha
Last edited by bud on 27 May 06, 08:33, edited 1 time in total.
By simac
Drove behind a nice grey one on the way home last night, sounded loooverrrrly ! well, a bit beefier than my vectra LMAO

See our F1 related articles too!