FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.

Are brake lights good for F1 racing?

Sure, helps safety
43%
Nah, gives away too much info
7%
WTF do they need brakes for anyway (except on frigging Melbourne's Lygon Street)?!
29%
Oh brother! Next we'll see a DVD player and a TomTom navigation system mounted on the steering wheel...
21%
By darwin dali
Sources report that runners for Super Aguri, Toyota, McLaren, Renault and Ferrari - and possibly others - trialled the system at the Sakhir circuit.

The news is sure to spark speculation that the governing body could implement brake lights on the grounds of safety.

Further information is not available at this time, but it is clear that the single rain light below the rear wing glowed red when the drivers braked into corners.
By Irv the Swerve
The brake lights could become useful if say a driver is right on the tail of another driver, it would take the driver by suprise that the driver in front is braking early than smash right in the back wing. Make sense?? :)

The rain light is very handy because your totally blind by the spray so it would be interesting if the brought in the brake lights as well.

They could make a mistake with the lights as a fire like what MW said.
MW: ''There's a fiery glow coming from the back of the Ferrari!!''
James Hunt: ''No Murray, that's his rear safety light.'' :D
By bud
Thats called brake testing Coalin !

the option i think they should have is if the car is decellerating then the light should come on not just when he applies the brake as this can lead to the above happening! Brake testing!
By Marco
I'd much prefer them to fit a horn, or indicators, how about a roofrack where they have to carry their spare tyres? I'm trying to remember the last time a driver hit another, outside of a normal braking zone (where you'd expect the car infront to brake), due to the first driver slamming on the anchors.

If anything, rear wheel lock-ups due to engine failure are far more dangerous due to their unpredictable nature.
By Irv the Swerve

It's not Coalin, can you not read in BATracer? :roll::wink:
By bud

It's not Coalin, can you not read in BATracer? :roll::wink:

Caolin!!!!!! :P
By deMuRe
I like the idea, might help overtaking as you could see where your opponent is stopping and try to outdo him...
By Marco
I like the idea, might help overtaking as you could see where your opponent is stopping and try to outdo him...

True, but I can see this ending in tears, or sidepods!!
By deMuRe

True, but I can see this ending in tears, or sidepods!!

:lol:

Yeah, I can see it now...
By madbrad
What stops a team from rigging a button so the driver can make his opponent THINK he's braking? Oh wait I know, a rule. But you get my point. It can be abused or used in an unsporting manner. Sure it's safer but I think it opens a bag of worms that outweighs the benefits.
By R00DIT
What stops a team from rigging a button so the driver can make his opponent THINK he's braking? Oh wait I know, a rule. But you get my point. It can be abused or used in an unsporting manner. Sure it's safer but I think it opens a bag of worms that outweighs the benefits.

now theres an idea, schumacher would have loved that!!!!
By darwin dali
I usually get my worms in a can though :P:mrgreen:
By madbrad
Oh yeah, can, that's what I should've said. I think I was tired.
By darwin dali
I prefer Pandora's box though - it's sounds classier and is actually classic - I'm a philologist at heart :)

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam!
By Irv the Swerve
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam!
ab irato!! :D

See our F1 related articles too!