FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By Marco
Seeing at the old V10 3 litre is being replaced for that V8 2.4 I thought it an interesting time to ask when the engine was introduced, more because I want to know how long it'll be until the FIA introduce a 8v 1000cc alternative! ;)
By R00DIT
I have a feeling it was introduced in the early eighties, although I can't find anything to back that up.
By Stephen
I've done a search and came up with 1983, but again, not a great site so not sure of the accuracy of this.
By simac
I think they have been around for a while, but I seem to recell Minardi using a Ford V8 not all that long ago ? and where the 3.5's a V10 ?

Better do some research me self LOL
By Stephen
Yes, think you're right - the 3.5 was a V10 IIRC.

Are the old Minardi team running restricted V10s this year?
By simac
I think so, I read that they are limited to 16,000 RPM and have reduced the size of the air intake to give the V8's a chance. But the same article, whereever I read it, said that the V10 could still produce more torque than the V8.

To be honest i'm just starting to wake up now and take notice of it all, I have some catching up to do after the winter break !
By darwin dali
Theoretically, for the V10 configuration the best V-angle is 72°; with this angle there is no vibration in vertical and transverse directions. The complexity of designing this made the V10 difficult to engineer without computer-aided design (CAD), and therefore the V10 was never used before the 1980s. To save development and parts costs, many V10 engines available today are based on 90° V8 engines, which is less than ideal for balance.
In Formula 1 racing, the configuration was introduced by Honda and Renault before the 1989 season. The introduction of the 3 litre rule made the V10 seem the best compromise between the V8 and the V12. Renault had a more flat 110° angle motor in 2002 and 2003, but reverted to a conventional layout following the change in rules which dictated that an engine must last two race weekends.
By simac
Also, wasn't there an advantage to use a wider V10 to achieve a lower centre of gravity ? I suppose there would have to be a compromise reached between vibration and centre of gravtiy.
By darwin dali
Yup, COG considerations were at play.
By sonic
Renault tried a wider V10 when they returned to F1. Most of the 3.5 litres were V10 but Cosworth continued with V8s and Ferrari persevered with heavy V12s until 1996 at least. They were the most powerful and went great at Hockenheim and Monza, but places like Monaco and Hungary they would have gone better with a skateboard, just too heavy.
By 7UpJordan
I think it was Renault in 1989 when they returned and powered the Williams cars with V10's.
By madbrad
I didn't have time to thoroughly read all the posts so I might be repeating someone here...

The Turbo was banned after the 88(or was it 89?) season, and the 3.5 Litre NA format began with the beginning of the following season. I don't know what size the NAs were during the turbo era, and I don't know if there were V10s any time before this new 3.5 era, but Renault, like 7up says, had a V10 out of the gate while others stuck with V8s and V12s.

Here is a bit of useless trivia: Nigel Mansell won both the first and the last 3.5 litre race! The first was for Ferrari in the first race of the 3.5 era, and for Williams in Austrailia 1994 filling in for the late Senna(OK a celebrity taking DC's seat) while Herr Butthead punts Hill off the track.

The 95 season began the 3.0 litre era, and Ferrari went from 12 to 10 pots, Some had 8, some had 10, and eventually, I forget the year, the FIA mandated 10 pistons, no more no less. It went like that until the 2.4 L V8 was mandated, and yes it must be 8, no more no less.
By Capelli
I think it was Renault in 1989 when they returned and powered the Williams cars with V10's.

thats spot on, its my favourite sounding engine of all time too 8)
By 7UpJordan

thats spot on, its my favourite sounding engine of all time too 8)

Infact whilst I remember now, Honda also made a V10 engine for 1989 as well.
By bud
I thought Renault were the first to make the V10s while others went the V12 route after the turbo ban? Honda didnt make a V10 til 92 or there abouts.

See our F1 related articles too!