FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
We always chat about our favourite F1 drivers, but whose your number one hero in F1 who hasn't held a super licence at any time?

Mine would have to be Norbert Haug, a great man in so many ways. He's actually meant to be a really nice guy too, something that McLaren probably detest. :roll:
By 7UpJordan
Mine's got to be Murray Walker, I grew up listening to his brilliant commentary most sundays with the late James Hunt commentating alongside him. For a quality commentating duo, nothing will ever beat Murray and James. What made their combination so good was Murray's style and enthusiasm and James' vast technical insight and also the fact he was never afraid to speak his mind on occasions (although most of the times in his early commentating days he picked on Riccardo Patrese).
By darwin dali
I'd go with the three German giants:

Nicolaus Otto:
One of the most important landmarks in engine design comes from Nicolaus Otto who in 1876 invented an effective gas motor engine. Nicolaus Otto built the first practical four-stroke internal combustion engine called the "Otto Cycle Engine," and when he completed his engine, he built it into a motorcycle.

Gottlieb Daimler:
In 1885, Gottlieb Daimler (together with his design partner Wilhelm Maybach) took Nicolaus Otto's internal combustion engine a step further and patented what is generally recognized as the prototype of the modern gas engine. Daimler's connection to Otto was a direct one; Daimler worked as technical director of Deutz Gasmotorenfabrik, which Nikolaus Otto co-owned in 1872. There is some controversy as to who built the first motorcycle Otto or Daimler.

The 1885 Daimler - Maybach engine was small, lightweight, fast, used a gasoline-injected carburetor, and had a vertical cylinder. The size, speed, and efficiency of the engine allowed for a revolution in car design. On March 8, 1886, Daimler took a stagecoach (made by Wilhelm Wimpff & Sohn) and adapted it to hold his engine, thereby designing the world's first four-wheeled automobile.

Karl Benz (Carl Benz):
In 1885, German mechanical engineer, Karl Benz designed and built the world's first practical automobile to be powered by an internal-combustion engine. On January 29, 1886, Benz received the first patent (DRP No. 37435) for a gas-fueled car. It was a three-wheeler; Benz built his first four-wheeled car in 1891. Benz & Company, the company started by the inventor, became the world's largest manufacturer of automobiles by 1900.
By R00DIT
Mine's got to be Murray Walker, I grew up listening to his brilliant commentary most sundays with the late James Hunt commentating alongside him. For a quality commentating duo, nothing will ever beat Murray and James. What made their combination so good was Murray's style and enthusiasm and James' vast technical insight and also the fact he was never afraid to speak his mind on occasions (although most of the times in his early commentating days he picked on Riccardo Patrese).

i'd agree with that however much i detested Murray in later years, his work with James Hunt (and James famously correcting him all the time) was very entertaining.
By McLaren786
Mine's would be gordan murray, because of his innovative cars, such as the fan on the brabham but most importantly because he was the genius behind the Mclaren F1. Which is my favourite car of all time and in my heart will never be bested therefore i have infinate respect for the south african.
By bud
Why not list the guy who invented the wheel Darwin... has as much relevence to F1 as the above mentioned by you :P
By Irv the Swerve
Gary Anderson would be mine. Great tech director for the Jordan team and then helping the Stewart team to their first win by developing the Stewart-Ford SF3. Now is Team Ireland in A1GP, hoping to get our first win.
By sonic
Murray Walker
When will he get his long overdue knighthood

Colin Chapman (Lotus)
Immensley talented, immaginative and slightly crooked! Always found a way around the rules.

Adrian Newey
With the possible exception of Colin Chapman, the greatest designer F1 has ever seen. Also worth considering is that in Chapman's day computational fluid aerodynamics were unheard of and wind tunnels were uniquely for the aviation industry.

Alain Prost (Prost team principle)
Ok, technically he was a driver too, but I refer to his efforts (or lack of them) as a team principal. Managed to turn the respected and admired Prost name into a laughing stock as team principal. No one could have destroyed the name better.

Jackie Stewart (Stewart team principal)
Again, technically a driver too, but I refer to his enterprising as a team principal.
Got Ford to fund the seting up of Stewart GP. Got paid for running the team with the funds provided by Ford. Sold the company to Ford who rename it Jaguar. (Did anyone at Ford realise they had already paid for it? Ford then pull the plug and sell it to Red Bull at a loss.
By madbrad
Steve Matchett.
By darwin dali
Steve Matchett.

Good choice - he's great!
By madbrad
I've read his books - He's an amazing man though he'd tell you otherwise.
By darwin dali
And he's funny, not ha ha funny, but with good humor - can't wait to hear him again. Less than 2 weeks!
By R00DIT
agree with that, couldnt put his book down. :)
By 7UpJordan
Jim Bamber - legend. :D
By Marco
Jim Bamber - legend. :D

Who? Know the name, don't know who he was/is?

See our F1 related articles too!