FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Questions and answers about going to a race weekend
Eason at large: move the British Grand Prix to Donington, 'You having a laugh?'

Kevin Eason http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 191214.ece

Pity Bernie Ecclestone was in France watching Lewis Hamilton's travails this weekend. He should have stayed in Britain and tried punching the postcode DE74 2RP into the SatNav of his Mercedes and then taking a two-hour drive northwards up the M1 to Castle Donington. If he thinks the Magny Cours circuit is short on charisma to the extent that he is crossing it off the Formula One calendar, he should be here.

The diminutive maestro of Formula One is a notorious megaphone diplomat and dropping the bombshell the other day that he was negotiating to switch the nation's biggest motor racing event from Silverstone to Donington Park just two weeks before Silverstone opens its gates for the 2008 British Grand Prix was no surprise. But those of us who have been esconced in Donington this weekend for the MotoGP version of the British Grand Prix might be inclined to ask a serious of question of Mr Ecclestone by employing the comic catchphrase used by Ricky Gervais in his show, Extras: "You having a laugh?"

Has Ecclestone been to Donington Park recently? Blimey, even the MotoGP boys don't want to be here, from what I have been told at length.

Silverstone is, admittedly, a little frayed around the edges and the British Racing Drivers' Club, which runs the place, have proved about as bright as a 20-watt bulb when it has come to negotiating with sport's ace dealmaker over the years. But things have changed: Damon Hill is now president and brings not only the energy and intelligence of a younger man to the role, he actually knows what he is talking about, having been the 1996 Formula One World Champion. Under his aegis, plans for a massive refit to turn Silverstone into the headquarters of British motor racing, not just Formula One, have already been given the green light.

So, Ecclestone has a choice: stick with the historic home of the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, where the first grand prix of the modern era ran in 1950, or move it lock, stock and palatial motorhomes to Donington. Ooh, that's a good idea. Now, let's see: yes, the only way into Donington is on single-carriageway roads. Better still, the A453 runs right past the front door of East Midlands Airport. So when the grand prix turns up in its traditional July date, there won't be any problem getting 100,000 spectators in while the tourists are queueing up on the same piece of road to catch their Ryanair flight to Malaga or wherever, will there?

Oh, and then there are the magnificent facilities, such as the Paddock Cafe Bar, a sort of shed with chips. Or the perimeter gravel tracks that lead to grass car parks in fields that slope alarmingly. Can't wait for the downpour that turns that lot into a mudslide. Or the miniscule pits complex, not too bad for slimline motorcycles, but for grand prix teams with cars and 50 mechanics to a garage? But then, tens of thousands of spectators will be able to sink back into their sumptuous grandstand seats to watch Lewis Hamilton et al, happily sheltered from the elements. At least, they could if there was anything that looked like a sumptuous seat in anything like a grandstand.

Donington Ventures, who run the Donington circuit under the flightpath of East Midlands Airport, are ready to spend and spend big, says Ecclestone. Good, so this lot will be solved by 2010, by which time Silverstone will have lost its grand prix contract and Donington will be gagging to take over. Well, they must have a King's Ransom and a time machine.

Even if work started right now, this minute, there is no way that Donington would be ready to hold a race in 2010. And it would cost huge money - start with £50 million and work up. For a start, planning consents would have to be won for everything from building work on the circuit to a huge, new roads system that would obviously be demanded by Ecclestone. After all, he demanded the same of Silverstone and now there is dual-carriageway all the way to the front gates, courtesy of a funding from a Labour government that thought it had already helped lay the foundations for the home of British motor racing.

The most likely outcome of these shenanigans is that Britain simply loses its grand prix. Ecclestone just doesn't know how to deliver the bad news - yet. He did admit to Ed Gorman, our motor racing correspondent, that the chances of keeping Britain on the calendar were only 50:50. Make that 90:10 against as Ecclestone is forced to take his responsibilities as an employee of CVC Capital Partners seriously.

They own Formula One, Ecclestone runs it. They spent a fortune buying F1 and they want their money back, plus profits. After all, that's what they do for a living. And the big money comes from the flashy new races in the Middle and Far East, where ambitious governments are happy to underwrite the costs of new circuits and pay CVC fees so enormous - as much as £30 million - that they would sink Silverstone overnight. Even now, the £11 million basic fee Ecclestone is charging the BRDC for this year's race means Silverstone will struggle to break even.

Ecclestone knows he will unleash a storm in Formula One if he pulls his circus from Silverstone. Six of the ten Formula One teams are based within an hour of the Northamptonshire track - Force India are right across the road.

And somehow, I get the feeling that Ecclestone does not really want to ditch a race and a circuit so close to his heart. For goodness sake, he even raced at Silverstone as a Formula One tyro. But this is all about tactics, so hold on for weeks now of "will it, won't it" stories as Ecclestone, the FIA and Silverstone dig their trenches for the fight ahead. Actually, come to think about it: don't bother driving up here Bernie. Just get on with making a British Grand Prix at Silverstone the centrepiece of the British sporting year, just as it deserves to be.

AAAAAARRGGHHHHH!!! Silverstone thread been hijacked by too many words.

What I cant hear you as I'm verbally overloaded! :hehe:
From autosport.com:

Hamilton sets the pace at Silverstone

By Pablo Elizalde Thursday, June 26th 2008, 16:47 GMT

Lewis Hamilton got the perfect end to the Silverstone test by topping the times on the final day of work ahead of next week's British Grand Prix.

The McLaren driver, taking over from teammate Heikki Kovalainen, set the quickest time of the week with a best lap of 1:19.170, outpacing Toyota's Timo Glock by over six tenths of a second.

Glock had a positive day of work despite being involved in an accident with David Coulthard, the duo making contact at the Hangar straight.

"It was a misunderstanding - when I turned in at the end of the Hangar Straight David was there," explained Glock.

"I just didn't see him so I apologise for that. The mechanics did a really good job to get the car back into shape and they worked hard all day because we had a lot to do.

"We've made a good step in the last couple of weeks and the last two results have given the team a boost. Now we have to keep up the form at Silverstone next week."

The strong wind again caused problems for the teams, although there was no rain despite a cloudy sky for most of the day.

Only Hamilton and Glock lapped the British track in less than 80 seconds today, with Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen third fastest with a time of 1:20.321.

Renault's Fernando Alonso took over from teammate Nelsinho Piquet to wrap up the French squad's preparations for the British Grand Prix, the Spaniard posting the fourth quickest time.

Alonso caused the first red flag of the day when his engine seemed to expire around 10am.

Nick Heidfeld completed the top five in his BMW Sauber, the German squad finishing the day 25 minutes early because they were already satisfied with their work.

Red Bull's Coulthard had a difficult day after his crash with Glock, the Scot also causing the last red flag of the day due to an apparent engine problem.

He finished at the bottom of the times after just 31 laps.

Today's times:

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:19.170 88
2. Glock Toyota (B) 1:19.815 79
3. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) 1:20.321 60
4. Alonso Renault (B) 1:20.862 78
5. Heidfeld BMW-Sauber (B) 1:21.011 93
6. Nakajima Williams-Toyota (B) 1:21.059 70
7. Sutil Force India (B) 1:21.331 71
8. Barrichello Honda (B) 1:21.344 94
9. Bourdais Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:21.432 76
10. Coulthard Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:22.232 31

All Timing Unofficial

Hamilton boosted by McLaren updates

By Jonathan Noble Thursday, June 26th 2008, 15:39 GMT

Lewis Hamilton says he has been boosted by the updates that his McLaren team have been trying out at Silverstone this week, as he rounded off his preparations for the British Grand Prix on Thursday.

The McLaren driver was evaluating a number of aerodynamic and car improvements, including a heavily revised front wing that the team hope to run at the British Grand Prix to help get Hamilton's world title bid back on track.

"Today's test was really encouraging," said Hamilton, who has failed to score points in the last two races. "The changes we've made in the last few tests have really improved the car.

"I haven't back-to-backed the new parts so I don't have a benchmark, but the car feels strong around here and I can't wait to be racing in front of my home crowd again."

Although Hamilton had a troubled time in France, failing to score a point and openly criticising the media for their coverage of him, he says the 10,000 British fans present at Silverstone today have helped lift his spirits.

"Driving into Silverstone this morning felt really cool - I couldn't believe how many fans were at the track so early in the morning; they're pretty special, the most dedicated F1 supporters in the world.

"At the start of the day I was really eager to get out on the track – this place it so super-fast that it feels amazing in an F1 car.

"At lunchtime I couldn't believe the amount of people that were waiting outside my garage – it was insane! And while I couldn't say hi to all of them, their support always gives me a special lift at this place."

Raikkonen predicts tight battle in Britain

By Jonathan Noble Thursday, June 26th 2008, 17:07 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen thinks the British Grand Prix will turn into an exclusive fight for victory between Ferrari and McLaren next weekend, after seeing Lewis Hamilton top the times on the final day of this week's test.

Despite Ferrari's total domination of the French Grand Prix, Raikkonen thinks that things are too close to call for the race at Silverstone - although he is sure BMW Sauber will not be part of the battle at the front.

When asked by autosport.com if he agreed with the common perception that Ferrari will be as quick at Silverstone as they were in Magny-Cours, he said: "I hope it will be. McLaren are always strong here, and I'm expecting that next weekend.

"I think it's going to be quite close between us and I don't see the other teams being close enough for the win, but with them (McLaren) it is going to be a tight fight."

Although Ferrari have shown strong speed this week, Raikkonen is well aware after his exhaust failure in France that just being quick is no guarantee of a win.

"We are going to try and do our best, but like we saw in the last race there are many things that can go against you, or can help you," he said.

"I expect to have a good car here, and for sure it would help with the points if we could win, but we need to have a good strong weekend and see where we finish. It will be a close fight. We will try to do another good weekend and hopefully one without any problems, and then have a good result."

Raikkonen also said that he was not bothered by the fact that teammate Felipe Massa was leading the world championship.

"There have been many leaders this year, and there is still a long way to go," he said. "It doesn't really matter who is leading right now, or who was leading before. It only counts at the end of the last race.

"Everybody is pretty close, and as we have seen in the last few races, it can change pretty quickly. Hopefully we can come back and lead the championship when it really matters."

I see Raikkonen has toned down his comments. Several days ago Ferrari were going to destroy the rest of the grid.
Will be there all three days - my 27th British GP at Silverstone, first one was 1965. Plus others at Brands eons ago..
Hope it stays nice and dry for everyone camping but a wet race could be exciting. Will be in the paddock most of the time, looking forward to the GP2 races too and make sure you all hang around for the last race before the GP party. A race for historic touring cars from the 1960s - 48 cars on the grid, Ford Mustangs, Minis, Lotus Cortinas, Imps etc...lots of sideways action. BTW - anyone know which band is playing the post race party?
From autosport.com:

Hamilton sets the pace at Silverstone

By Pablo Elizalde Thursday, June 26th 2008, 16:47 GMT

Lewis Hamilton got the perfect end to the Silverstone test by topping the times on the final day of work ahead of next week's British Grand Prix.

The McLaren driver, taking over from teammate Heikki Kovalainen, set the quickest time of the week with a best lap of 1:19.170, outpacing Toyota's Timo Glock by over six tenths of a second.

Glock had a positive day of work despite being involved in an accident with David Coulthard, the duo making contact at the Hangar straight.

"It was a misunderstanding - when I turned in at the end of the Hangar Straight David was there," explained Glock.

"I just didn't see him so I apologise for that. The mechanics did a really good job to get the car back into shape and they worked hard all day because we had a lot to do.

"We've made a good step in the last couple of weeks and the last two results have given the team a boost. Now we have to keep up the form at Silverstone next week."

The strong wind again caused problems for the teams, although there was no rain despite a cloudy sky for most of the day.

Only Hamilton and Glock lapped the British track in less than 80 seconds today, with Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen third fastest with a time of 1:20.321.

Renault's Fernando Alonso took over from teammate Nelsinho Piquet to wrap up the French squad's preparations for the British Grand Prix, the Spaniard posting the fourth quickest time.

Alonso caused the first red flag of the day when his engine seemed to expire around 10am.

Nick Heidfeld completed the top five in his BMW Sauber, the German squad finishing the day 25 minutes early because they were already satisfied with their work.

Red Bull's Coulthard had a difficult day after his crash with Glock, the Scot also causing the last red flag of the day due to an apparent engine problem.

He finished at the bottom of the times after just 31 laps.

Today's times:

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:19.170 88
2. Glock Toyota (B) 1:19.815 79
3. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) 1:20.321 60
4. Alonso Renault (B) 1:20.862 78
5. Heidfeld BMW-Sauber (B) 1:21.011 93
6. Nakajima Williams-Toyota (B) 1:21.059 70
7. Sutil Force India (B) 1:21.331 71
8. Barrichello Honda (B) 1:21.344 94
9. Bourdais Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:21.432 76
10. Coulthard Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:22.232 31

All Timing Unofficial

Hamilton boosted by McLaren updates

By Jonathan Noble Thursday, June 26th 2008, 15:39 GMT

Lewis Hamilton says he has been boosted by the updates that his McLaren team have been trying out at Silverstone this week, as he rounded off his preparations for the British Grand Prix on Thursday.

The McLaren driver was evaluating a number of aerodynamic and car improvements, including a heavily revised front wing that the team hope to run at the British Grand Prix to help get Hamilton's world title bid back on track.

"Today's test was really encouraging," said Hamilton, who has failed to score points in the last two races. "The changes we've made in the last few tests have really improved the car.

"I haven't back-to-backed the new parts so I don't have a benchmark, but the car feels strong around here and I can't wait to be racing in front of my home crowd again."

Although Hamilton had a troubled time in France, failing to score a point and openly criticising the media for their coverage of him, he says the 10,000 British fans present at Silverstone today have helped lift his spirits.

"Driving into Silverstone this morning felt really cool - I couldn't believe how many fans were at the track so early in the morning; they're pretty special, the most dedicated F1 supporters in the world.

"At the start of the day I was really eager to get out on the track – this place it so super-fast that it feels amazing in an F1 car.

"At lunchtime I couldn't believe the amount of people that were waiting outside my garage – it was insane! And while I couldn't say hi to all of them, their support always gives me a special lift at this place."

Raikkonen predicts tight battle in Britain

By Jonathan Noble Thursday, June 26th 2008, 17:07 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen thinks the British Grand Prix will turn into an exclusive fight for victory between Ferrari and McLaren next weekend, after seeing Lewis Hamilton top the times on the final day of this week's test.

Despite Ferrari's total domination of the French Grand Prix, Raikkonen thinks that things are too close to call for the race at Silverstone - although he is sure BMW Sauber will not be part of the battle at the front.

When asked by autosport.com if he agreed with the common perception that Ferrari will be as quick at Silverstone as they were in Magny-Cours, he said: "I hope it will be. McLaren are always strong here, and I'm expecting that next weekend.

"I think it's going to be quite close between us and I don't see the other teams being close enough for the win, but with them (McLaren) it is going to be a tight fight."

Although Ferrari have shown strong speed this week, Raikkonen is well aware after his exhaust failure in France that just being quick is no guarantee of a win.

"We are going to try and do our best, but like we saw in the last race there are many things that can go against you, or can help you," he said.

"I expect to have a good car here, and for sure it would help with the points if we could win, but we need to have a good strong weekend and see where we finish. It will be a close fight. We will try to do another good weekend and hopefully one without any problems, and then have a good result."

Raikkonen also said that he was not bothered by the fact that teammate Felipe Massa was leading the world championship.

"There have been many leaders this year, and there is still a long way to go," he said. "It doesn't really matter who is leading right now, or who was leading before. It only counts at the end of the last race.

"Everybody is pretty close, and as we have seen in the last few races, it can change pretty quickly. Hopefully we can come back and lead the championship when it really matters."

I see Raikkonen has toned down his comments. Several days ago Ferrari were going to destroy the rest of the grid.

Destroy the field!! What arrogance :rofl:
It's going to be close. How close, I dunno. still believe Ferrari have an edge somewhat, but their advantage appears to have diminished.
It's going to be close. How close, I dunno. still believe Ferrari have an edge somewhat, but their advantage appears to have diminished.

I agree. I think it will be very close. Last yr was very close too... However, I don't think its the gap diminishing, its the track being different from Magny Cours. While there's many fast corners in Silverstone, there's also the last sector which is probably why Mclaren is strong.

Cool thing is I'll be watching the race from Germany as I leave tomorrow :):D and therefore will also get to watch (not at the stadium!) the Euro finals Germany vs. Spain the very day I arrive :woohoo::drink:

the question is: will I be unbiased and sober enough to not get beat up? :rofl: nah... I'm only a pain here on the forum... I'm much more reasonable in person :D
7 days to go... :yes::jump:

I know! I know! I know! This time next week I'll be sitting in the dying sun, in a field, finishing my BBQ wondering where to go next while listening to F1 engines revving up (????or is that a distant memory? are they still allowed to rev up engines in parc ferme?-I know Ive heard them, beautiful sound!!)
:bouncy1:
Hi all, I'm new here have a problem.

I've been gifted a three day ticket (I know, I'm a jammy git :D ) to Silverstone next weekend but only a sunday park & ride pass, which is a much use a chocolate teapot for the other two days.

Any ideas or I am I going to have to bite the bullet and try to get a campsite organised?

Muchly thankful and all that

Matt
Hi all, I'm new here have a problem.

I've been gifted a three day ticket (I know, I'm a jammy git :D ) to Silverstone next weekend but only a sunday park & ride pass, which is a much use a chocolate teapot for the other two days.

Any ideas or I am I going to have to bite the bullet and try to get a campsite organised?

Muchly thankful and all that

Matt

I would imagine you're just allowed to park at the track on the other days but I'd phone the track and check that. its never anywhere near as busy on fri or sat.
From F1 Live:

Championship leader Felipe Massa approaches next weekend's British Grand Prix with a bout of the 'flu.

The Ferrari driver tested for two days at the Silverstone circuit this week, topping the charts on Tuesday, before handing over to his team-mate Kimi Raikkonen for Thursday's final session.

"To be honest, I need to have some rest now," said the French Grand Prix winner.

Throughout the Magny-Cours weekend, Massa grappled with a stiff neck that he said he aggravated in an elevator at his hotel.

"Then I picked up a cold bug and had to do two days of testing with some sort of influenza and now I am completely tired," he admitted on Friday. "I need to relax and concentrate on the next race.
"

Following some treatment, Massa said his neck is now completely recovered. He hopes to also be over the 'flu by the time Formula One reconvenes at Silverstone late next week.

"I am sure I will be fine," he added.
Man flu you mean :hehe:

To be honest, I think so. :hehe:
I think the majority of people at Silverstone on Tues/Wed had a bizarre sort of flu... It's called hayfever.

Seriously, Felipe, word to the wise, get hold of some Beconase and Piriteze if you want to beat Lewis next week :wink:
I think the majority of people at Silverstone on Tues/Wed had a bizarre sort of flu... It's called hayfever.

Seriously, Felipe, word to the wise, get hold of some Beconase and Piriteze if you want to beat Lewis next week :wink:

:clap::laugh: Yeh, hayfever or snuffles...man flu as Hannah said. Sort it Felippe, no excuse!! Having said that he was excellent last year.

See our F1 related articles too!