FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By 7UpJordan
Tis the season where we all laugh, smile or cry at the sight of the teams and their new liveries on their new cars. Are there any old liveries you are glad to see the back of?

2007 Renault - If it weren't for that ugly orange on the new ING Livery, this car would look pretty nifty, but alas tis not.

1993 Ferrari - A Ferrari?? I thought it was a Scuderia Italia Dallara!! The resemblance to Ferrari's 1993 car and the Dallara livery Scuderia Italia had used from 1989 - 1992 was uncanny! Lucky SI was using the fiery Lola chassis that year.

1998 and 1999 Williams - A red Williams = instant recipe for disaster. As a Williams fan I was disgusted, crap livery, crap car, crap engine, crap seasons. 2000 couldn't come quick enough.

1996 "Gold" Jordan - The car looked good in mustard yellow at Melbourne, but when they changed the colour scheme to gold for Interlagos, I thought the car looked tacky beyond belief, looked more like a brown car! Things were much better 5 years earlier...

Pink 1992 Brabham - What a car for our Damon to make a debut in. A PINK car! What a car for Brabham to go out in! (along with numerous failures to qualify AND pre-qualify).

2006 and 2007 BMW Sauber - When Sauber first entered F1 in 1993 I liked their nice black livery, but when BMW bought them out and gave them a very 2001 - 2005 Williams-esque livery which actually looked even less eye-pleasing, I thought this was just the exact opposite of that great colour scheme from the 1993 Sauber.

ALL Toyotas - BORRRRRRRING!!! Toyota still look like they're using the exact same car from their debut season, and that's not just the paint job, the only thing that looks to have changed are the drivers and the numbers! (I preferred the good old fashioned number system)

1997 - 2005 McLaren - I will always remember McLaren for their neat Marlboro sponsorship, but when West became their title sponsor in 1997, my new name for McLaren became "Team Grey". The car was GREY!! The car had gone from bright and vibrant (I even remember my Scalextric 1995 McLaren's red was almost illuminous!!) to dull and boring. The 2006 and 2007 "Chrome" McLarens are a pleasure to the eye fortunately (aside from those ugly winglets and fins etc that every team seems to love scattering all over the chassis these days!).

2006 Spyker - You thought Spyker would have taken an example from Arrows if they wanted to have an orange car, but instead they decided to just paint orange over the existing Midland livery. They turned a pretty decent livery into an ugly tacky livery.
By R00DIT
Tis the season where we all laugh, smile or cry at the sight of the teams and their new liveries on their new cars. Are there any old liveries you are glad to see the back of?

2007 Renault - If it weren't for that ugly orange on the new ING Livery, this car would look pretty nifty, but alas tis not.

i was about to say that! worst ive seen in a while.

williams haven't had the best history with liveries, 1999 was horrible and last year wasnt great either. the original bar scheme (1999?) was horrific, i think the fia eventually banned them for running different coloured wheels or something?
By 7UpJordan
williams haven't had the best history with liveries, 1999 was horrible and last year wasnt great either. the original bar scheme (1999?) was horrific, i think the fia eventually banned them for running different coloured wheels or something?

I quite liked last year's livery. If more than anything, Williams have made some shockingly "shaped" cars more than bad liveries, the fat FW10, the ugly FW12 and the "whalrus nose" FW26 come to my mind.

As for BAR, they wanted to run 1 car in Lucky Strike Livery and the other in 555 Livery, personally I would have gotten around the problem by doing what Larrouse did in 1994 by doing 1 race in the green Tourtel livery and the next one in the red/white kronenbourg livery.
By McLaren786
1997 - 2005 McLaren - I will always remember McLaren for their neat Marlboro sponsorship, but when West became their title sponsor in 1997, my new name for McLaren became "Team Grey". The car was GREY!! The car had gone from bright and vibrant (I even remember my Scalextric 1995 McLaren's red was almost illuminous!!) to dull and boring. The 2006 and 2007 "Chrome" McLarens are a pleasure to the eye fortunately (aside from those ugly winglets and fins etc that every team seems to love scattering all over the chassis these days!).

Your just about the only person who I know that dislikes the mclaren west livery. But at the end of the day your opinion is your own i for one think it was brilliant, black, silver/white and red. Bare in mind also that teams have to dictate their liveries on their title sponsers, because they give money and in F1 it's always about the money. Always follow the money!
By darwin dali
Mild seven Renault - yuck!
Arrows orange - puke!
By Marco
I have always liked the West McLaren liveries and no real surprise given the amount of effort McLaren pay to get it just right.

I disliked the Green/Yellow Jordon and the Telefonica Minardi, the Arrows (97?) was also pretty rough.
By McLaren786
I for one think the 2007 ferrari is ugly, it looked ok in the factory(maybe have something to do with the place it was photographed as it just seemed at home in the factory. And also the fact that they put 600KG's of polish on it.) But on the track it looks hideous, in fact anyone who has played F1 2006 on the ps2 will know what i'm talking about because in that game the ferrari is all red.

The renault id just ugly, what on earth were they thinking.

BMW looks great up close as the blue is actually metallic but from far it looks like every racing bmw.

Honda looks awesome in black, but will they bring a green car back to formula one since the departure of the jaguar livery. I think they should simply leave it in bare carbon fibre.

Toyota - Boring!

Red Bull looks great, colour combination is awesome.
By 7UpJordan
Honda looks awesome in black, but will they bring a green car back to formula one since the departure of the jaguar livery. I think they should simply leave it in bare carbon fibre.

Well, we all know what happened with the 1991 Jordan, they launched it without a paint job and still looked good in black carbon fibre when John Watson gave the car a test at Silverstone (and a Swiss journalist said "why do they bother? they can't even afford to paint the f***ing car!"). We all know what colour it did end up though, so there's still hope for a green Honda. ;)
By Irv the Swerve

Well, we all know what happened with the 1991 Jordan, they launched it without a paint job and still looked good in black carbon fibre when John Watson gave the car a test at Silverstone (and a Swiss journalist said "why do they bother? they can't even afford to paint the f***ing car!"). We all know what colour it did end up though, so there's still hope for a green Honda. ;)
Did you read F1 Racing mag this month, it was talking about your favourite car. :)
By 7UpJordan

Did you read F1 Racing mag this month, it was talking about your favourite car. :)

I have it. :D
By 7UpJordan
And just to bring this totally up to date, the new Spyker's livery is even WORSE than last year's, the car is ENTIRELY orange!! It looks more like the Netherlands' A1 GP car!!
By Marco
And just to bring this totally up to date, the new Spyker's livery is even WORSE than last year's, the car is ENTIRELY orange!! It looks more like the Netherlands' A1 GP car!!

Totally hideous, what were they thinking???
By 7UpJordan

Totally hideous, what were they thinking???

Like I said before about Spyker, if they wanted an orange car so badly, you'd think they'd try and follow Arrows' example, they manage to pull it off fine.

See our F1 related articles too!