FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By bud
even in melbourne 06 Kimi set the fastest lap of the race on the final lap! makes you wonder as he needed that engine for the next gp.
By mstar
another explanation for kimis fast laps end of races... was due to the fact that the mclaren was easy on its tyres so well that in the end of stints (races) they were really quick, rather then kimi turning the engine up, tyres and the combination of the mclaren being great when the rubber went down made the car faster at the end of stints. Last years mclaren had understeer/pitch sensitve problem that JPM just couldn't drive around as good as kimi, but when the race progressed and rubber went down the front grip became more predictable and made the car more neutral, hence faster and predictable. But as bud said we will never know maybe kimi turned the engine up as well?? we will never know how hard kimi is on his car unless we work in mclaren :lol: as his engineer
By Alien_SAP_Fiend
Yes, the 2006 Macca was too kind to its tyres and this lost them any hope of the Constructors because their tyres were only up to speed near the end of the race!

McLaren often seem to be one year behind the rules, don't they? In 2005 they had a one-race engine and a chassis which suited the one-tyre rule... one out of two. In 2006, they had a two race engine, but the chassis was still suited for one set of tyres when they had seven to use!

Maybe this is why they kept up that insane quali-heavy one-stop strategy? They knew their tyres were going to last longer than everyone else and hoped they would be flying fast on low fuel when everyone else was pitting for fresh tyres. Pity their drivers kept getting caught up in traffic because they had to quali on such a heavy fuel load and their tyres hadn't had enough time to get nice and sticky during quali. This is why Kimi so often stood on the podium in 2005, after starting at the back of the grid. His car was fuelled to the brim and was so kind to its tyres that he could stay out while people who started ahead of him had to pit for fresh tyres. Even though I am a huge fan, I must admit that the Mac did make Kimi look good on occasion. He'd never have been able to scythe past Fiasco at the end of Japan if the Renault's tyres hadn't been in such a mess, compared to the Mac. It's ALL about tyres, I tells ya! Look at what happened to Ferrari when they changed the tyre rule in 2005. They needed to completely redesign their car and were so arrogant that they actually started the season in the 2004 car!!!

It's going to be a close year this. Ferrari haven't really got that much of an advantage because the B/stones are so different to last year and they suffered engine failures with the powerplant they have to use for the next few years.
Mclaren might get the balance right and if anybody can get tyres heated up quickly it's Alfonzolonzo (just hope the chassis can cope with his wild zigzag tyre warming anctics).
Honda have the engine and the drivers. If they have found a way to heat up their front tyres they could well steal second place from Renault or McLaren for the WCC.
Renault are going to have another awesome car, not sure about Heikki's racing skills, might be another Pedro.
BMW, RBR, Williams and perhaps Toyota will all get onto the podium once in a while and there will definitely be some entertainment at the back, where the STR and Super Aguris are well-staffed and evenly matched. Poor Spyker need to order themselves a Renault chassis or something if they are to be competative with STR and SA.

All in all, a LOT to look forward to... 'only' 53 days to go.

Edit: This should have been in the predictions thread :oops:
following on from this, i think its harsh to call Kimi a car breaker. mclarens have always been weak when it came to reliability. kimi is a driver who drives hard and its mclarens error for not providing a car that could do the same.

you dont give your best sniper a stick to take into battle! :roll:

But if we all know that McLarens have not been that reliable, surely Kimi should be able to see it (or at least learn it throughout his time there) and compensate by not driving quite so hard? Fernando and Michael always knew when to nurse their car a bit, shouldn't Kimi also if he expects to compete for World Titles?
By R00DIT
kimi is kimi, an all or nothing kinda guy!!! asking him to nurse a car would be like asking a rabid dog to roll over for a tickle! :shock:
By 7UpJordan
kimi is kimi, an all or nothing kinda guy!!!

And also said he "went for a s***" live on the air at Brazil on Brundle's gridwalk. :mrgreen:
By Irv the Swerve
kimi is kimi, an all or nothing kinda guy!!!

And also said he "went for a s***" live on the air at Brazil on Brundle's gridwalk. :mrgreen:
And Martin was speechless :lol:
By Red Five
kimi is kimi, an all or nothing kinda guy!!! asking him to nurse a car would be like asking a rabid dog to roll over for a tickle! :shock:

So you're now admitting that he's a car breaker?! :wink::lol:

That "going for a s***" line was one of he funniest moments of the year for me!
By Stephen

So you're now admitting that he's a car breaker?! :wink::lol:

That "going for a s***" line was one of he funniest moments of the year for me!

And for many others too! And R00DIT has dropped himself in it! :P
By welshie
There is a simple answer to the question "is kimi a car breaker?". We see if he keeps desroying his pretty new red car. They seem to have an extremely reliable car over the last few years so only time will tell.

If he breaks things then he is officially a car breaker!

If sod all goes wrong too often, them mcLaren just built him shoddy cars! :wink:

Easy :D
By Stephen
I'll have to agree with R00DIT, he is all or nothing. He's either winning, or retiring while in the lead (massive generalisation, but you get the drift). The following video sums this theory up nicely:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C76ZnvSFNPY:D
By Alien_SAP_Fiend
There is a simple answer to the question "is kimi a car breaker?". We see if he keeps desroying his pretty new red car. They seem to have an extremely reliable car over the last few years so only time will tell.

If he breaks things then he is officially a car breaker!
And so is (was) Mikey Schu.
By darwin dali

Another reason why I don't favor KR over FM.

Is it just me? Whenever I watch KR, I fear for his life or at least worry about some big shunt. As stated by ROODIT, he's an all or NOTHING guy. He seems to not have any fear, which to me is not an asset. Some fear or at least respect for the speed and physical forces can prolong your life in this business. I never felt that way about MS.
By Alien_SAP_Fiend
FM had some pretty spectacular moments last year, if memory serves. I seem to recall him losing it on a corner and very nearly taking the Fonz right out! Kimi's worst moment was running into the back of Liuzzi - which was because they were both being too careful (Liuzzi slowing down to let Kimi pass and Kimi staying off the racing line to let Pedro past).

The reason Kimi has so many fans is exactly because he makes us fear for his life... like Senna. He gives it massive Welly as all times and that's what we want to see. MS and Alonso are far more sensible and therefore less entertaining (except for when they lose their cool and push their car too hard).

Let's just hope that the safety measures that have been introduced since Senna's death will prevent Kimi (and any driver) from meeting the same fate.

See our F1 related articles too!