FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.

Would you like to see more grid-fillers?

Yes!
77%
No!
15%
What's a grid-filler?
8%
By 7UpJordan
For the past 10 years we have had 11-10 teams on the F1 grid. I am old enough to remember the 1989 season when there were a record 20 teams during that season, and some teams had to pre-qualify, ok most of these were very slow cars which often had pay-drivers in them, but they filled up the grid nicely and sometimes there were some shock results (ie. Christian Danner finishing 4th in the US GP 1989 in a Rial after starting last!). Plus it added some nice colour to the grid as well. I for one would like to see more grid-filler teams back in F1. Plus it also added some nice humour when the very slow cars often blocked the leaders badly.
By darwin dali
Max. will be 24 cars because of the paddocks.
By Stephen
I would love to see more teams on the grid, and there's enough people who want to be in F1 at the moment - the bid Prodrive won proves that, over 50 teams wanted in I believe! The only downside is at circuits like Hungary pre modifications. Let's also remember that when the grid was larger, blue flags weren't introduced, so it'll be interesting to see if that still works with so many cars on track.
By 7UpJordan
I would love to see more teams on the grid, and there's enough people who want to be in F1 at the moment - the bid Prodrive won proves that, over 50 teams wanted in I believe! The only downside is at circuits like Hungary pre modifications. Let's also remember that when the grid was larger, blue flags weren't introduced, so it'll be interesting to see if that still works with so many cars on track.

One thing's for sure blue flags won't have worked when Olivier Grouillard, Phillipe Alliott et al were moving chicanes.
By Irv the Swerve
More cars the better. I'll love to see all the small battles between the midfield teams in the races and it'll be better viewing as well.
By certom
yes, i agree, but you know, times have changed, of course that F1 was better than this, but you can't go back and cancel 20 years of F1, although it would be better..
and what about all the electronic and aerodynamic aids? we should live just of memory...
By R00DIT
i would like to see more cars but it could ruin the spectacle of the sport. recently cars getting in the way of two faster cars competing against each other are more likely to block the second car than provide an opportunity to pass. but ive been wrong before. :)
By welshie
I also think that having more grid fillers would give more people a chance to race against the best. We may even find some bloody amazing drivers who then go and race for the top teams, but otherwise wouldn't have had the chance to prove their worth.
By Stephen
Agreed, perhaps Davidson would have a top drive by now, although given Super Aguri's recent test, maybe he's already got one! ;)
By Evaneoun
I did vote no but to be honest I'm not sure. I'm happy with 22-24 cars. Think that works fine.
By R00DIT
why is it whenever i read the title of this thread i think of 'fluffers'? :shock:
By sonic
The FIA make ever increasing demands on the circuit, I dont see it being out of the question to insist on larger paddocks for 15 teams or even more. With customer chassis available next year the aspect of them being "mobile chicanes" is not really relevent as they should be at least on the pace of Super Aguri, Spyker and Toro Rosso last year and should be able to keep up with development as the chassis development cost would be carried by all the teams using the chassis, not just one team. The big question is will the engine manufacturers be prepared to build enough engines and will Bridgestone be prepared to supply enough tyres for 45 cars (including T cars) every fortnight.
By 7UpJordan
The FIA make ever increasing demands on the circuit, I dont see it being out of the question to insist on larger paddocks for 15 teams or even more. With customer chassis available next year the aspect of them being "mobile chicanes" is not really relevent as they should be at least on the pace of Super Aguri, Spyker and Toro Rosso last year and should be able to keep up with development as the chassis development cost would be carried by all the teams using the chassis, not just one team. The big question is will the engine manufacturers be prepared to build enough engines and will Bridgestone be prepared to supply enough tyres for 45 cars (including T cars) every fortnight.

I'm sure engine manufacturers like Judd are still out there, and you never know Cosworth might make a return.

I don't see what the big fuss over Customer Chassis is, Dallara did chassis for Scuderia Italia and Lola did Larrousse's chassis and also Scuderia Italia in their final season in 1993, what's new?

With regards to tyres, when Pirelli pulled out at the end of 1991 due to financial problems, Goodyear provided the entire field with tyres until Bridgestone entered in 1997 (and pre-qualifying was still around in 1992), so if Goodyear coped with it, Bridgestone should.
By sonic
Just because Bridgestone should be able to supply enough tyres for more teams, their contract probably states they need to supply x number of tyres. If this figure were increased, Bridgestone could say no and even sue the FIA for breach of contract and pull out of F1 altogether. I can just see Michael Schumacher in a KwikFit boiler suit with a queue of 30 F1 cars waiting for him to change their tyres!
By 7UpJordan
Just because Bridgestone should be able to supply enough tyres for more teams, their contract probably states they need to supply x number of tyres. If this figure were increased, Bridgestone could say no and even sue the FIA for breach of contract and pull out of F1 altogether. I can just see Michael Schumacher in a KwikFit boiler suit with a queue of 30 F1 cars waiting for him to change their tyres!

The FIA could always try and negotiate with Bridgestone and if they say no, the FIA could always ditch their 1 tyre company rule and allow another tyre company to come in as well.

As for the Paddock size being a problem if we get tonnes of teams being allowed in, this is what they invented pre-qualifying for. So that the teams who fail to pre-qualify will be gone by Saturday qualifying free-ing up the paddock space, easy.

See our F1 related articles too!