FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By overboost

By overboost
By overboost
Hamilton to take 5 place grid penalty for a new engine.

"Lewis Hamilton takes five-place grid penalty at Sao Paulo GP in fresh complication for F1 title bid
Mercedes driver to start no higher than sixth on Sunday's race grid in Brazil due to another engine change; Hamilton's starting position unaffected for Saturday's sprint"

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24181 ... -title-bid
By overboost
After qually Hamiltons car failed the DRS test - the measuring block passed through the open DRS element without any resistance meaning the opening exceeded the maximum opening of 85 mm.

The FIA is investigating and have summoned a team delegate to appear at 19:15pm local time.

The penalty for a technical infringement is dq of LH's qually time. A back of the grid start for the sprint race.

As we know from Vettel's minor tech infringement of too small a fuel sample post race earlier this year in Hungary which cost him a second place finish, the rules are black and white.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lewi ... n/6775016/
By myownalias
I saw a post on Facebook this morning suggesting that Max touched Lewis' rear wing, intimating that Max, with his superhuman powers physically adjusted the wing so it opened an extra 1mm, which of course is laughable, given the amount of force the wing has to endure when traveling at 200mph.

The FIA had judged that Max did touch Lewis' car, and have fined him €50k, but he will start from 2nd for the sprint, assuming he does not inherit pole due to Mercedes technical rule infringement.

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/verst ... g/6777819/
By myownalias
So, Lewis has been DQ'ed from qualifying, meaning he will start from the back for the Sprint qualifying session. Mercedes' mistake could have well cost Lewis the WDC this season, unless Max has an issue or crashes out!
By overboost
A rear wing produces about 400 lb of downforce. To suggest that Max's touch altered the wing is ludicrous.

Karun had a good comment on the subject:

Karun Chandhok
@karunchandhok
"For those asking if Max could have manipulated the wing, let’s all be clear that the wings are designed to sustain hundreds of kilos of load without breaking.

Andre the giant could sit on it! As fit and strong as Max is, I doubt he managed to bend the wing…."

8:04 AM · Nov 13, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
By overboost
This extra wide wing adjustment explains why Hamilton was 5.5kph faster than Bottas (with a legal wing) on the straight in qually.

Hamilton was desperate for pole so adjustments were made.
By overboost
myownalias wrote: 13 Nov 21, 17:37 So, Lewis has been DQ'ed from qualifying, meaning he will start from the back for the Sprint qualifying session. Mercedes' mistake could have well cost Lewis the WDC this season, unless Max has an issue or crashes out!
I spy with my little eye, a rear wing which does not comply!

Newey sees all!

By myownalias
Given how fast Lewis was in the sprint qualifying session, 20th to fifth in 24 laps is impressive, Mercedes, has made a massive jump, especially Lewis' car since Mexico. From 10th tomorrow, with the Mercedes which is so much faster than any other car, based on Saturday, Max could have a real fight on his hands, assuming he can pass Bottas for the lead.
By overboost
moa was dead on right.

The Merc engine was juiced and unstoppable. And gets the win for Hamilton.

By myownalias
I don't know what Mercedes did to the ICE, but it's definitely faster than any previous ICE, it's more than just NEW ICE performance. That said, even with the 0.5+ seconds a lap advantage, it's still an impressive drive, 20th to 5th on Saturday and 10th to 1st on Sunday. My Facebook newsfeed has been full of fawning news articles gushing over Hamilton, like no other driver in the history of F1 could have achieved the same feat with such a massive power and speed advantage. Oh, and of course, calling Max a cheat for defending his position, like Lewis has never done the same.
By overboost
Wasn't it Mercedes who was caught cheating in Brazil?

Oh my.
By Angel
Well, well, well. It seems Max is the favour boy this season. Where to start....

Let’s start before weekend when red bull complain about wing. Red bull who have changed wing THREE TIME in parc ferme and taped it up! 🤷‍♀️
So LEWIS investigated after quali and is DQ’d . Let’s forget incident of Max touching competitor car, which is against rule.
Fair enough LEWIS car break rule . Rule is rule. But to those who call this cheating. Seriously. 0.2 millimetre out. You know how big this is? and only at edges of wing not in middle on a wing that had sustained damage. No advantage was gained ..but as I say, rule is rule. Well is for Mercedes. Red Bull can mess with wing as they wish.

On to race. Max push LEWIS off track. This is against rule. Well it is for Mercedes. Not so for Red Bull. HORNER straight quick gets on to Masi say ‘we have to let them race’ HORNER don’t think this at Silverstone. Masi say , it’s okay . Max gets off free without even stewards to look at onboard footage! Previous races this move gets penalty, not for Max. I also think let them race. But you can’t have ‘let them race’ only when your driver break the rule! Rule is rule!!
Then there’s weaving over the track, also against the rule.
But LEWIS answer best by overcoming 25 place penalty and winning. ‘F*** you all” say Toto.’ On this occasion I do have to agree.
By overboost
How could Max race at Silverstone when Lewis put him into the wall at 306 kph and at 51g's?

You are having a logic fail.

See our F1 related articles too!