FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By overboost
By overboost
By myownalias
Where did that time come from? Hamilton is 0.4 ahead of Verstappen, even Bottas is ahead by 0.1, clearly, Mercedes have out-developed Red Bull over the past few races. I really hope that Red Bull can fight back, to keep the season interesting. It will be essential for Verstappen to get ahead of Bottas on the first lap, or Hamilton will be off into the distance.
By myownalias
What do we think of Hamilton's antics on the out lap and the slow down in the pitlane, in a clear effort to deny Red Bull a final flying lap, which half worked, with Perez not reaching the line before the chequered flag was waved?

From a rules point of view, Hamilton did nothing wrong, but I think maybe a shakeup in the qualifying rules needs to happen going forward, to stop this sort of gamesmanship, basically blocking a rival to gain an advantage.
By Angel
Why you think Hamilton go slow?
Outlap on Q2 was 2 mins 17sec
Outlap for first Q3 run was 2 mins 14sec
Outlap of which you complain was 2min 10 sec ...was fastest of the three!

Of all his outlaps that lap particular was mid range, some faster, some slower.🤷‍♀️

Should Hamilton prepare his laps to suit rest of grid??
By St.Fric
overboost wrote: 18 Jul 21, 16:35 I don't think the HAM/VER crash was accidental and the 10 second penalty was BS. Lewis is fast by himself and with DRS he can pass but does anyone remember when he has made an amazing pass because he is such a great driver? Nope, me neither.
Is good that Hamilton is such poor passing skills Recovering from bonehead Mercedes strategy to go from 14 on the grid to 3rd. So happy to see Ocon and Vettel battle, if only Ferrari can figure out how to build a good race car without cheating, they have good drivers.
By myownalias
Angel wrote: 01 Aug 21, 17:54 Why you think Hamilton go slow?

Of all his outlaps that lap particular was mid range, some faster, some slower.🤷‍♀️

First, if Hamilton did a 2:14 or 2:17, he may not have made it to the line himself, so the faster time was a necessity for Hamilton, to have his final run. I complain because I believe it was a deliberate attempt to stop Verstappen from having a second attempt at qualifying. There is already a precedent set by the FIA warning drivers for slow in the final two corners, so why not extend that to the whole out lap? Going slow when you are out by yourself, and going slow, holding up the cars behind are two very different scenarios in my opinion.
By overboost
Um St Fric, the bonehead strategy call landing Hamilton in 14th place was Hamilton's alone. Every other driver could see that it was dry except Hamilton. What an amateur mistake.

Cost himself an easy win.

These missed 10 points may be very important to the championship later on in the season.
Last edited by overboost on 01 Aug 21, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
By Angel
myownalias wrote: 01 Aug 21, 18:40

First, if Hamilton did a 2:14 or 2:17, he may not have made it to the line himself, so the faster time was a necessity for Hamilton, to have his final run. I complain because I believe it was a deliberate attempt to stop Verstappen from having a second attempt at qualifying. There is already a precedent set by the FIA warning drivers for slow in the final two corners, so why not extend that to the whole out lap? Going slow when you are out by yourself, and going slow, holding up the cars behind are two very different scenarios in my opinion.
So I think you make no sense now. You say If Hamilton do his normal previous times he go too slow to make the line, so he speed up to make the line and you say he go too slow. This silly.
By overboost

Chris Medland
@ChrisMedlandF1
·
2h
OK, so, brace yourselves...

Final race classification is in. Vettel is P2.

"The classification is provisional, subject to the outcome of the notice of appeal lodged by Aston Martin Cognizant F1 Team against Stewards decision 59."

So for now, he gets the points #F1 #HungarianGP
Last edited by overboost on 02 Aug 21, 01:11, edited 1 time in total.
By overboost
Not sure if AM can win this appeal.

Only 0.3 l sample of fuel could be gotten out of the car where the regs demand 1 l. The team though says there is 1.44 l in the bladder.

The car did meet all weight requirements, so not underweight.

We shall see.
By overboost
Angel wrote: 01 Aug 21, 21:17

So I think you make no sense now. You say If Hamilton do his normal previous times he go too slow to make the line, so he speed up to make the line and you say he go too slow. This silly.
Pretty obvious from the broadcast that Hamilton was playing tactics to keep the Bulls from getting either a proper warm up of their tires or to force them to miss their last timed lap attempt all together, Perez did miss out.

Standard tricks though.

I do remember Hamilton slowing down to try and force his teammate Rosberg back onto Vettel in an unsportsmanlike attempt to try and have Rosberg get passed or be crashed out handing Hamilton the title. So Hamilton has done this sort of thing before.
By myownalias
Angel wrote: 01 Aug 21, 21:17

Over team radio, Hamilton was surprised that his final out lap was faster than his previous out laps, which indicates to me that he was deliberately on a go-slow to disadvantage the Red Bull's. I'm not trying to convince anyone, it's what I believe given what I saw happen in the final Q3 run, ultimately, as the rules stand, Hamilton did nothing wrong, but I do hope that rules are changed in future years to stop it happening again, for the spectacle, and for fairness to all drivers.
By myownalias
OK, so the race itself, I would never have predicted that Ocon would win the race with Vettel in second, but all credit to both, when the sun shines, make hay, Bottas taking out 1/4 of the field made for an interesting race.

I really enjoyed the battle between Hamilton and Alonso towards the end of the race, some real racing, hard but fair, I was hoping that Alonso would be able to hold off Hamilton, but it wasn't to be, he did his Alpine teammate a solid with his robust defense. Hamilton definitely has to take the blame for the restart, every other driver worked out that dry tire was the way to go, while Hamilton went to the grid, it's on the driver to decide on the formation lap, the team cant help!

Conspiracy time; was Bottas offered a contract extension to take out Verstappen? :hehe:
By St.Fric
overboost wrote: 01 Aug 21, 20:35 These missed 10 points may be very important to the championship later on in the season.
You should know being a Ferrari fan, it has been a long time. Maybe your grandkchildren might see a Ferrari double championship some day?

See our F1 related articles too!