FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By overboost

By myownalias
Didn't we do this race last week? I have a distinct feeling of Déjà vu.

Will we see Hamilton and Mercedes fight back, or will Verstappen and Red Bull run away with it, I'd prefer the former, but can Mercedes find enough speed to challenge Red Bull in just one week?
By overboost
https://www.grandprix247.com/2021/07/02 ... more-pace/

Mercedes has put Lewis in the simulator. First time in years Hamilton is doing significant work in the simulator as Lewis doesn't like to do development work.

So they are pulling out all the stops and perhaps getting a bit desperate to find some lap time for this round 2 in Austria.
By myownalias
I guess that Hamilton hasn't needed to do any development work over the past seven years, as Mercedes has been all dominant, no one could even get close to the back of the Mercedes without a mistake or mechanical issue.
By overboost
And Merc is back on top

By myownalias
Verstappen and Red Bull looking good for another victory, Hamilton 0.3 seconds slower than Verstappen in qualifying, and starts behind Sergio Perez and Lando Norris. Amazing qualifying lap for Norris, no one would have predicted Mclaren or the Brit to be alongside the polesitter before this weekend. Also, excellent qualifying for Williams and George Russell, starting in 8th place, after Vettel's penalty for blocking Alonso. What can Hamilton do from 4th place?
By overboost
Here is what Hamilton thinks he can do from 4th place:

“In pure pace, a win is definitely out of the question,” Hamilton continued. “Those guys firstly have got two cars in front and they’ve got three tenths on us, I think they’ve improved their car again this weekend."

“So I’d say that’s an easy cruise win for Max."

“The thing for us is to try and see if we can at least get ahead of Perez and try to limit the damage this weekend.”

The question I have is will Norris give up again like last race and let Perez and the Merc's pass so he can run his own race?
By overboost
By myownalias
overboost wrote: 04 Jul 21, 00:53The question I have is will Norris give up again like last race and let Perez and the Merc's pass so he can run his own race?
I think, ultimately, yes, but I hope that he battles, at least in the first handful of laps, if McLaren has the race pace.
By overboost
By Angel
myownalias wrote: 04 Jul 21, 01:03
overboost wrote: 04 Jul 21, 00:53The question I have is will Norris give up again like last race and let Perez and the Merc's pass so he can run his own race?
I think, ultimately, yes, but I hope that he battles, at least in the first handful of laps, if McLaren has the race pace.
I think Norris prove he run his own race. Great driver! Not happy when team tell him about gap to drivers behind ( and was vindicated!) he want chase lewis in front...and he does!
By myownalias
I really hope that, despite Toto Wolff's assertion that Mercedes have no upgrades planned, I really hope that is not the case, Verstappen has now won 4 out of 5 races, and that would have been 5 out of 5 if he didn't have that tire blowout in Azerbaijan. I think the big takeaway from this race was the penalties, for what should have been racing incidents. If drivers are going to be punished for racing, drivers will shy away from racing, for fear of penalties.

Great drive from Lando Norris, to finish third despite the five-second penalty, special mention to George Russell, despite finishing outside the points, excellent drive all weekend, to get into the top 10 in qualifying to fending off Fernando Alonso for many laps in the closing stages, even if he ultimately lost out to the Spaniard. British motorsport looks bright with talents like Norris and Russell on the grid.

See our F1 related articles too!