FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By arnoldc
Wow. At first look at this, it smacks of the old AVUS Circuit in Berlin, Germany. Anyone else get that impression too?

Curious also if this event is added to the schedule count, or if another event will get dropped? Personally, I would like to see the event count capped at twenty. But, chances of that happening are slim to none.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-vietnam-street-circuit.2BvFoOV82kcqi88y0mMsUU.html

Cheers. arnold
I have to say that I am not exactly thrilled about another street circuit, and I question the wisdom of extending the season further and going to a country that is an unknown quantity in terms of motorsport heritage and fanbase. I say, extend the season further as I have not heard about any potential circuits being dropped in favor of Hanoi, but that of course, can change.
I have to say that I am not exactly thrilled about another street circuit, and I question the wisdom of extending the season further and going to a country that is an unknown quantity in terms of motorsport heritage and fanbase. I say, extend the season further as I have not heard about any potential circuits being dropped in favor of Hanoi, but that of course, can change.

I agree with the above. However, I was only talking about the layout and that looks to be quite good. Not a street circuit in the conventional sense with some parts actually being purpose-built.
By arnoldc
Agree. Am not for street circuits either, caveat being Monaco. To me, they are a cop out, bent only on putting more butts in seats for economic benefit. VSC to me the south straight is w-a-y too long. How the heck to gear for this track? Runoff looks too short for the approach speeds. Engine displacements are small. Gear for top end, and even with hybrid, low end suffers. Flip same.
From what I understand, they can't change the gear ratios anymore once the season has started, so it is what it is.
It looks to be quite a challenge to set up, but that's a good thing in my book since you can get it right and be the hero or you can get it wrong and be a zero.

I agree with the above. However, I was only talking about the layout and that looks to be quite good. Not a street circuit in the conventional sense with some parts actually being purpose-built.

I'll reserve judgment on the layout until I see cars going around the track at full tilt.

We have seen many tracks over the years that look good on paper, but fail to impress when the tarmac is on the ground and cars are racing.

See our F1 related articles too!