Formula One related discussion.
By overboost
https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/stat ... 6165606400

Andrew Benson

Verified account

@andrewbensonf1
Follow Follow @andrewbensonf1
More
Charlie Whiting, the FIA F1 director and a huge figure in the sport, died on Wednesday night aged 66. Whiting suffered a pulmonary embolism, FIA said. FIA president Jean Todt pays tribute to "a central and inimitable figure in F1 who embodied the ethics and spirit" of the sport

5:54 PM - 13 Mar 2019
ESPNF1:
Charlie Whiting, the FIA's director of Formula One and one of the most influential people in the sport, has died at the age of 66.

The news comes just three days ahead of the season-opening Australian Grand Prix on Sunday. The FIA, F1's governing body, confirmed Whiting died on Thursday morning as a result of a pulmonary embolism.

Whiting held a key role in the running of Formula One race weekends, overseeing the FIA's operation of all on-track sessions. In addition to his duties at grand prix weekends, he also had a wide-ranging position at the FIA overseeing safety and technical matters in the sport.

FIA president Jean Todt said: "It is with immense sadness that I learned of Charlie's passing. Charlie Whiting was a great race director, a central and inimitable figure in Formula One who embodied the ethics and spirit of this fantastic sport.

"Formula One has lost a faithful friend and a charismatic ambassador in Charlie. All my thoughts, those of the FIA and entire motor sport community go out to his family, friends, and all Formula One lovers."

Formula One's motorsport boss, Ross Brawn, added: "I have known Charlie for all of my racing life. We worked as mechanics together, became friends and spent so much time together at race tracks across the world. I was filled with immense sadness when I heard the tragic news. I'm devastated.

"It is a great loss not only for me personally but also the entire Formula One family, the FIA and motorsport as a whole. All our thoughts go out to his family."

He began his F1 career in 1977 working for the Hesketh team before moving to Bernie Ecclestone's Brabham outfit in the 1980s. He joined the FIA in 1988 before rising to the position of race director in 1997.

The FIA has not yet confirmed who will replace Whiting in the role of race director this weekend.
Vettel on Charlie Whiting: "I spoke to him yesterday and walked the first couple of corners of the track with him. Difficult to grasp… He was the drivers man. He was open to everyone at any time. He was a racer, a very nice guy."

Charlie Whiting and Sebastian Vettel. Photo from yesterday.

Though I didn't agree with all the decisions he made, over the very few years that I've been following Ferrari,
I did respect this gentleman and the experience he brought to his role as Race Director!

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, his friends and his fans. I say "fans' because of all the
lovely things people have been saying about him, all the tributes and all the stories shared!

Rest in Peace, Sir!
Awful news, may he rest in peace. Some good words from someone who knew him well:

That was just be-a-u-ti-ful!
That someone can laugh at themselves is the one quality I can't do without in a friend

See our F1 related articles too!