FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By MaxRev
Hey

New here and new to F1. Been following the 2018 season and I am hooked!

I would like to fill the gap between 2018 and 2019 by watching full seasons of the previous years to get caught up all of the trivia and more.

What years would you say are MUST WATCH?

Thanks
:coffee:
By sagi58
Hey, Max Rev!!

I'm sure DD is right... I'm sure every year is amazing...
I'm also sure the years where FERRARI won are just that little bit more amazing!!
And, it's not really just because, you know, I'm a Ferrari fan, or anything like that!! :whistling:
By myownalias
You can't go too far wrong with 1987 through 1998, those were the best years in my opinion.
By darwin dali
To truly understand the 'DNA of Formula One', you can't leave out the 60's and 70's, the most dangerous and deadliest time of the sport.
By MaxRev
Thank you for the responses. From what year did F1 seasons become fully televised? I googled for am answer but it doesn't explicitly mention when, only that some years would only show some of the races.

I'd hate to be 25% into watching a season only to find out they never showed the rest of it.
By ibsey
Welcome MaxRev. :)

Thank you for the responses. From what year did F1 seasons become fully televised? I googled for am answer but it doesn't explicitly mention when, only that some years would only show some of the races.

I'd hate to be 25% into watching a season only to find out they never showed the rest of it.

IIRC BBC only started showing all races in 1978 (highlights). My 1st season was 1994, and loved it so much I'm writing a book on that year (www.1994f1.com). The racing at the front isn't the best, but the cars sounded cool, and the midfield / backmarker fights were awersome. Also it's a very important year for F1 as so much that happened that year (I won't spoil the surprise).
By darwin dali
I watched all races of the late 60's - 70's until 1994 back in Switzerland, so there was coverage there.
The mid-2000s (Alonso and Renault onwards, through to the rise of Red Bull and Brawn) is a pretty bonkers period to look back at.

Going chronologically through seasons is always great. Stumbled across some official season reviews on DailyMotion over the winter and watched from 1997-2005. Interesting throughout, but the craziness of those final few years was fun to relive.
By Martin77
To truly understand the 'DNA of Formula One', you can't leave out the 60's and 70's, the most dangerous and deadliest time of the sport.

Totally agree, the early to mid seventies are a must for me but The carnage that is interwoven into the early years of the sport are essential reading to fully grasp just how far the sport has moved on since those days which is why I have mixed feelings about the Halo.
By sanaeerumey
The mid-2000s (Alonso and Renault onwards, through to the rise of Red Bull and Brawn) is a pretty bonkers period to look back at for learning How to take phenq.

Going chronologically through seasons is always great. Stumbled across some official season reviews on DailyMotion over the winter and watched from 1997-2005. Interesting throughout, but the craziness of those final few years was fun to relive.

It was all planned to sustain the good with there creative ideas (Y)

See our F1 related articles too!