FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For Formula One and Motorsport related videos and images.
ESPNF1:
An award-winning team of broadcasters will convey the excitement of the FIA Formula One World Championship to American viewers in 2018 as ESPN, Sky Sports and Formula 1 join forces to bring Sky Sports' presentation of the championship to the U.S.

Television audiences in the U.S. will be able to enjoy the Sky Sports coverage as ESPN and ABC air all 21 races in the championship under a multi-year linear and digital partnership between ESPN and Formula 1. Announced in October, the agreement brings Formula 1 back to its original U.S. television home as the first Formula 1 race ever aired in the U.S. was on ABC in 1962.

Sky is a leading entertainment company in Europe, serving 22.5 million customers across five countries -- UK, Ireland, Germany, Austria and Italy.

"We are excited to work with the Sky Sports team," said Kate Jackson, ESPN coordinating producer, motorsports. "Their coverage of F1 is second to none and we look forward to bringing their expertise and authenticity to our audiences."

Scott Young, Head of Formula 1 at Sky Sports, added "We are delighted to be working with ESPN and ABC, and with this partnership extend Sky Sports F1's award-winning coverage overseas. Each season we look to find new ways to improve the broadcast and entertain our viewers and this year will be no different."

Sky Sports' comprehensive coverage will include commentary and analysis from a lineup of former world champions and current F1 drivers including:

Martin Brundle - regarded by many as the Voice of Formula 1. A star in F1 and sports cars; became a broadcaster in 1997.

Damon Hill - Formula 1 World Champion in 1996, son of former World Champion Graham Hill.

Johnny Herbert - raced 11 years in F1, three-time grand prix winner.

Paul di Resta - veteran of 58 F1 races, Williams reserve driver last year and competed at the Hungarian GP.

Anthony Davidson - Mercedes No. 1 Sim (simulator) driver and works with engineers to test the design and performance of the cars.

The Sky team also includes expert presenters Simon Lazenby, Ted Kravitz, David Croft, Rachel Brookes and Natalie Pinkham. The agreement for ESPN to air the Sky Sports coverage was arranged by Formula 1, with the approval of ESPN and Sky.

ESPN and Sky Sports production personnel will work together on the U.S. presentation, with Sky Sports producing special segments that will appear on various ESPN platforms to supplement the television coverage.

Sky's F1 coverage includes storytelling innovations such as Sky's exclusive "Sky Pad," a large, interactive touchscreen TV used by pundits and guests to dissect highlights and information; race control and pit wall views, and some of the most advanced on-screen information available to race fans. Sky was awarded "Best TV Broadcaster for Outstanding Coverage" by F1 in 2012 and 2013.

Beginning with the season-opening Formula 1 2018 Rolex Australian Grand Prix on March 25, and ending with the Nov. 25 Formula 1 2018 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, all of the races will air live in the United States on either ESPN, ESPN2 or ABC. All in more than 125 hours of Formula 1 programming, including all practice sessions, qualifying and races, will air live and in replay across ESPN platforms in 2018.

More details regarding ESPN's Formula 1 content plans will be announced in the coming weeks.

Award-winning or not, I dread the extreme bias that is apparently common on Sky's coverage based on previous comments I've seen :( Well, I'll try to keep an open mind and if everything fails, there's the big old mute button...
I haven't watched the SKY coverage for a couple of years now due to my father passing, I was leeching his subscription via a VPN and streaming races. But I think Brundle and Coulthard are fairly even-handed, there is a little bias towards the British drivers, but not extreme, in my opinion, I heard them call out LH a number of times for his actions.
I haven't watched the SKY coverage for a couple of years now due to my father passing, I was leeching his subscription via a VPN and streaming races. But I think Brundle and Coulthard are fairly even-handed, there is a little bias towards the British drivers, but not extreme, in my opinion, I heard them call out LH a number of times for his actions.

Sorry to hear :(

As I said, I'll keep an open mind...
Same here, TSN in the far east of Canada. Lots of coverage but the Hamilton propaganda is overflowing at times.

It is quite odd at times to see the Brits endlessly fawning over a German team while ignoring their own teams on the grid. The Germans must get a big kick out of that!

Albeit late, my condolences!
Thoughts and prayers.
... Award-winning or not, I dread the extreme bias that is apparently common on Sky's coverage based on previous comments I've seen :( Well, I'll try to keep an open mind and if everything fails, there's the big old mute button...

Brundle "TRIES" to be fair; but, his bias always makes itself present.
I'll give him yet another shot and then I'll try not to complain ""too much"" ! :banghead:
ESPN reveals F1 TV broadcast schedule for 2018
See the broadcast time and network of each session below (All times are Eastern Time):

Rolex Australian Grand Prix
Practice 1 - Thursday, March 22, 9:00 PM - ESPN3
Practice 2 - Friday, March 23, 1:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 3 - Friday, March 23, 10:00 PM - ESPNEWS
Qualifying - Saturday, March 24, 2:00 AM - ESPN2
Race - Sunday, March 25, 1:00 AM - ESPN2

Gulf Bahrain Grand Prix
Practice 1 - Friday, April 6 7:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 2 - Friday, April 6 11:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 3 - Saturday, April 7 8:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Qualifying - Saturday, April 7 11:00 AM - ESPN2
Race - Sunday, April 8 11:00 AM - ESPN2

Heineken Chinese Grand Prix
Practice 1 - Thursday, April 12 10:00 PM - ESPN3
Practice 2 - Friday, April 13 2:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 3 - Friday, April 13 11:00 PM - ESPNEWS
Qualifying - Saturday, April 14 2:00 AM - ESPN2
Race - Sunday, April 15 2:00 AM - ESPN2

Azerbaijan Grand Prix
Practice 1 - Friday, April 27 5:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 2 - Friday, April 27 9:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 3 - Saturday, April 28 6:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Qualifying - Saturday, April 28 9:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Race - Sunday, April 29 8:00 AM - ESPN2

Spanish Grand Prix
Practice 1 - Friday, May 11 5:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 2 - Friday, May 11 9:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 3 - Saturday, May 12 6:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Qualifying - Saturday, May 12 9:00 AM - ESPN2
Race - Sunday, May 13 9:00 AM - ESPN2

Monaco Grand Prix
Practice 1 - Thursday, May 24 5:00 AM - ESPN2
Practice 2 - Thursday, May 24 9:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Practice 3 - Saturday, May 26 6:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Qualifying - Saturday, May 26 9:00 AM - ESPN2
Race - Sunday, May 27 9:00 AM - ESPN
Encore - Sunday, May 27 3:30 PM - ABC

Canadian Grand Prix
Practice 1 - Friday, June 8 10:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 2 - Friday, June 8 2:00 PM - ESPN3
Practice 3 - Saturday, June 9 11:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Qualifying - Saturday, June 9 2:00 PM - ESPNEWS
Race - Sunday, June 10 2:00 PM - ABC

French Grand Prix
Practice 1 - Friday, June 22 6:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 2 - Friday, June 22 10:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 3 - Saturday, June 23 7:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Qualifying - Saturday, June 23 10:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Race - Sunday, June 24 10:00 AM - ESPN2

Austrian Grand Prix
Practice 1 - Friday, June 29 5:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 2 - Friday, June 29 9:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 3 - Saturday, June 30 6:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Qualifying - Saturday, June 30 9:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Race - Sunday, July 1 9:00 AM - ESPN2

Rolex British Grand Prix
Practice 1 - Friday, July 6 5:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 2 - Friday, July 6 9:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 3 - Saturday, July 7 6:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Qualifying - Saturday, July 7 9:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Race - Sunday, July 8 9:00 AM - ESPN

Emirates German Grand Prix
Practice 1 - Friday, July 20 5:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 2 - Friday, July 20 9:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 3 - Saturday, July 21 6:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Qualifying - Saturday, July 21 9:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Race - Sunday, July 22 9:00 AM - ESPN2

Hungarian Grand Prix
Practice 1 - Friday, July 27 5:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 2 - Friday, July 27 9:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 3 - Saturday, July 28 6:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Qualifying - Saturday, July 28 9:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Race -Sunday, July 29 9:00 AM - ESPN2

Belgian Grand Prix
Practice 1 Friday, August 24 5:00 AM ESPN3
Practice 2 Friday, August 24 9:00 AM ESPN3
Practice 3 Saturday, August 25 6:00 AM ESPNEWS
Qualifying Saturday, August 25 9:00 AM ESPN2
Race Sunday, August 26 9:00 AM ESPN2

Heineken Italian Grand Prix
Practice 1 - Friday, August 31 5:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 2 - Friday, August 31 9:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 3 - Saturday, Sept. 1 6:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Qualifying - Saturday, Sept. 1 9:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Race - Sunday, Sept. 2 9:00 AM - ESPN2

Singapore Grand Prix
Practice 1 - Friday, Sept. 14 4:30 AM - ESPN3
Practice 2 - Friday, Sept. 14 8:30 AM - ESPN3
Practice 3 - Saturday, Sept. 15 6:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Qualifying - Saturday, Sept. 15 9:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Race - Sunday, Sept. 16 8:00 AM - ESPN2

VTB Russian Grand Prix
Practice 1 - Friday, Sept. 28 4:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 2 - Friday, Sept. 28 8:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 3 - Saturday, Sept. 29 5:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Qualifying - Saturday, Sept. 29 8:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Race - Sunday, Sept. 30 7:00 AM - ESPN2

Japanese Grand Prix
Practice 1 - Thursday, Oct. 4 9:00 PM - ESPN3
Practice 2 - Friday, Oct. 5 1:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 3 - Friday, Oct. 5 11:00 PM - ESPNEWS
Qualifying - Saturday, Oct. 6 2:00 AM - ESPN2
Race - Sunday, Oct. 7 1:00 AM - ESPN2

United States Grand Prix
Practice 1 - Friday, Oct. 19 11:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Practice 2 - Friday, Oct. 19 3:00 PM - ESPN3
Practice 3 - Saturday, Oct. 20 2:00 PM - ESPN3
Qualifying - Saturday, Oct. 20 TBD - ESPNEWS (delayed)
Race - Sunday, Oct. 21 2:00 PM - ABC

Mexican Grand Prix
Practice 1 - Friday, Oct. 26 11:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 2 - Friday, Oct. 26 3:00 PM - ESPNEWS
Practice 3 - Saturday, Oct. 27 11:00 AM - ESPN3
Qualifying - Saturday, Oct. 27 2:00 PM -ESPNEWS
Race -Sunday, Oct. 28 3:00 PM - ABC

Heineken Brazilian Grand Prix
Practice 1 - Friday, Nov. 9 9:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 2 - Friday, Nov. 9 12:00 PM - ESPN3
Practice 3 - Saturday, Nov. 10 9:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Qualifying - Saturday, Nov. 10 TBD - ESPNEWS (delayed)
Race - Sunday, Nov. 11 12:00 PM - ABC

Ethiad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
Practice 1 - Friday, Nov. 23 5:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 2 - Friday, Nov. 23 8:00 AM - ESPN3
Practice 3 - Saturday, Nov. 24 5:00 AM -ESPNEWS
Qualifying -Saturday, Nov. 24 8:00 AM - ESPNEWS
Race - Sunday, Nov. 25 8:00 AM - ESPN2

*Tentative schedule - subject to change

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/227 ... edule-2018
Ok, first race weekend in with ESPN/Sky.
It was pretty bad: first they showed practice 3 on ESPNNews or so I thought, but when I looked at my DVR recording, it was all other stuff and about an hour into the recording it finally switched to F1, 5 minutes before the end of the recording. Fortunately I was able to watch the tail end live. Lesson learned: add 2 hours to the end time of your pre-programmed recording.
Then the race coverage itself: as expected quite biased and Merc/LH centric with the occasional color dot by Christian Horner. I can live with that by just saying whatEVER :rolleyes: They're fairly knowledgeable, though I miss Steve Matchett's keen eye for tiny things falling of a car or breaking or being not right, or just interesting, etc. And I miss David Hobbs' sense of humor - these guys are all drama. I could almost hear their tears roll down their cheeks when they saw LH 'robbed' of his victory.
The worst part though of the coverage was the commercials: ESPN interrupted the race willy-nilly with ad segments which the Sky announcers obviously didn't know about. Thus, they were rudely interrupted and then didn't catch up the audience after the commercials like Matchett and Co. used to. Thankfully most commercials were with picture-in continuous coverage, but some were not. I tried to switch to a live stream website, but that one was about 1 minute behind, so a third of the commercial break was then a repeat of the ESPN/Sky TV coverage.
Welcome to the Sky broadcast team of Hamilton surrogates. It gets mind numbing at times.

As for the commercials what TSN does is have a picture in picture screen split so you can at least see what is going on, ie the two Haas retirements.
NBC and ESPN both had split screen during ad breaks for the most part, but the sheer amount of ad breaks were insane on ESPN; and like DD said, the continuity was terrible as they were just taking the world feed, which includes the Sky F1 commentary, so the commentators we cut off mid-sentence and came back in the middle of another sentence with zero recap. Additionally, ESPN decided to not come back from commercial to see the restart happen after the V/SC. Bottom line, I hope that Liberty rolls out their streaming service ASAP people, as I don't care to watch many races with ESPN is this is an example of how they are going to run their F1 programming.
Is it me, or did they break every few minutes? The only reason I didn't "flip" is that they provided an inset with the race.

As for Hamilton... yeah, I'd rather not bother responding to the ridiculously obvious adulation and partisanship.
Oooops... I did it, again!!

Sure, Vettel benefitted THIS time; but, when the shoe is on the other foot, the comments will be quite different.
At the end of the day, this is racing... I have yet to watch a "perfect" game, where nothing went wrong for anyone.
s*** happens. Today Vettel got the upper hand, tomorrow someone else will.

I just expect CONSISTENCY from the announcers/sportscasters.
If Vettel got lucky, so will any other driver when the same thing happens.
And, it will...
NBC and ESPN both had split screen during ad breaks for the most part, but the sheer amount of ad breaks were insane on ESPN; and like DD said, the continuity was terrible as they were just taking the world feed, which includes the Sky F1 commentary, so the commentators we cut off mid-sentence and came back in the middle of another sentence with zero recap. Additionally, ESPN decided to not come back from commercial to see the restart happen after the V/SC. Bottom line, I hope that Liberty rolls out their streaming service ASAP people, as I don't care to watch many races with ESPN is this is an example of how they are going to run their F1 programming.

On TSN we got to see the restart including two complete laps before the restart. So obviously ESPN is running more ads in the States than TSN is in Canada.

See our F1 related articles too!