FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
The Halo is just another way of the FIA protecting their wallet by avoiding the real issue of having heavy recovery vehicles on the track during active races. Adapting all the tracks with static cranes at all runoff areas would cost them much more than just developing a gimmick and making it mandatory - thus passing the cost to the teams. The Halo wouldn't have saved Bianchi, but a static crane placed behind the crash barrier would have. Even at Singapore they still had recovery vehicles on the track, during heavy rain and under safety car conditions. As long as that's still allowed then the danger that triggered the creation of the Halo is still there.
By darwin dali
Even at Singapore they still had recovery vehicles on the track, during heavy rain and under safety car conditions. As long as that's still allowed then the danger that triggered the creation of the Halo is still there.

That's not really what triggered the halo though - it's flying wheels and other parts.
Even at Singapore they still had recovery vehicles on the track, during heavy rain and under safety car conditions. As long as that's still allowed then the danger that triggered the creation of the Halo is still there.

That's not really what triggered the halo though - it's flying wheels and other parts.

I disagree. They already have wheel tethers and improved helmets since Massa's accident for those things, but soon after Bianchi's accident there was a sudden re-writing of what was considered a visual obstruction for decades so that they could push a very questionable safety device that has been rushed through development in what can only be described as a knee-jerk reaction. If it had some sort of thick plexi-glass shield in the big gaps I'd take it more seriously, but considering it sits so high above the drivers head and has no such screen I think it's also adding a chance of deflecting flying debris down towards the driver.
By darwin dali
I disagree: the Surtees, Wheldon and Wilson accidents were triggers. Bianchi's accident was always put forward as not one where the halo would have made a difference.
I disagree: the Surtees, Wheldon and Wilson accidents were triggers. Bianchi's accident was always put forward as not one where the halo would have made a difference.

Fair enough, but one can't deny that all of those mentioned drivers were driving vastly different machines, in different sports, with different safety requirements and that the timing of the thing is very questionable if that's the true series of events. I do think F1 needs improved protection in front of the driver, but I don't think the Halo in it's current form is the answer.
By darwin dali
I agree that the halo is a poor solution to a problem I don't foresee solved without changing to a completely closed cockpit, at which point we might as well give up on racing within the parameters of a formula such as Formula One.
I agree that the halo is a poor solution to a problem I don't foresee solved without changing to a completely closed cockpit, at which point we might as well give up on racing within the parameters of a formula such as Formula One.

I think the aeroscreen could be improved with a different manufacturing process to minimize the visual distortion, and it's more aesthetically pleasing than the halo, but I don't think it would be as strong in a crash. Putting a screen on the halo would be the best of both worlds in my opinion because it would be structurally sound and get rid of the risk of deflecting things that hit under the upper bar of the device.
By rob91
I have had a worrying thought that the halo might have an unintended consequence after watching Nico Hülkenberg stopping in the 2017 Mexican Grand Prix, his car was unsafe because of problems with the electric recovery systems so he had to climb out onto the area in front of the cockpit and then jump off safely so that he was not touching the car and the ground simultaneously. I assume he did this because he was trying to avoid electrocution.

My thought is that if there was a halo on the car that it may have prevented him from getting out of the car safely because it doesn't appear to me that he would have been able to climb out in the same manner if a halo was attached. It looks like the halo would be in the way of climbing onto the car, so surely jumping off safely in the situation where the ERS is dangerous would be very difficult, if not impossible. :eek:
By darwin dali
ESPNF1:
MONTMELO, Spain -- Toro Rosso's Pierre Gasly said he ripped his race overalls while climbing through the Halo and into his car.

The Halo cockpit protection device has been made mandatory for 2018 despite much controversy.

After his first day driving underneath the structure in Toro Rosso's new car, Gasly said: "I don't like it. It's just a big mess to get in the car and get out. I think my suit is already broken, so we'll have to ask for many suits from Alpine Stars this year.

"Already, it's the first day, and I have many holes on the back. You need to be a lot backwards to slide in the car.

"It's actually quite weird. Now with all the winglets you have on the Halo, you cannot really pull to get out and touch it. It's quite weird conditions, but it's nothing really important. I just prefer the old cars."

Gasly was quick to point out that he had no issue with the visibility from inside the cockpit.

"I'll accept that to drive with it doesn't make a big difference. In terms of visibility it's the same. Of course you see something on top of you, which is a bit weird, but when you start to drive you're still focused and you're just paying attention to your driving. You don't really see it. But to get in the car and get out is quite a big challenge."
By sagi58
Long story short?

This seems to be liability-driven.
i.e., has F1 done everything possible to keep drivers safe?
If not, boom, a law suit is filed.

Speed is the nature of the beast.
Most of the accidents we've seen wouldn't have been as
dangerous, if not for the speed.
But, without the speed, what do we have.. a bumper car series?
By Papaluci
Just my opinion.....we can save lives or we can go back to the old days of losing a life or two every grand prix.Perhaps Senna would have survived his blg one with a halo.....we just dont know.For me,lives come first and cars are only going to get quicker.
By darwin dali
Just my opinion.....we can save lives or we can go back to the old days of losing a life or two every grand prix.Perhaps Senna would have survived his blg one with a halo.....we just dont know.For me,lives come first and cars are only going to get quicker.

I'm pretty sure the halo wouldn't have saved Senna's life - ultimately it was his steering column that killed him.
By Papaluci
Oh,I was under the impression that it was a steering arm component that pierced his helmet,but yes,you are probably right,not really enough halo material to deflect the component.
By overboost
That is correct, his helmet was punctured by a metal suspension/steering component attached to his broken wheel.

See our F1 related articles too!