FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By sagi58
I realize the article was written from one perspective; but, it's pretty clear
the attitude of "we've always done it like this" just isn't going to wash!!
Giving everyone a say creates an atmosphere of responsibility and trust!

Bravo, Liberty Media!! Bravo!! :clap:
By darwin dali
Autoweek:

Former F1 boss says new owners running sport 'like a Starbucks'
Bernie Ecclestone is no fan of current emphasis on social media

Former Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone is no fan of some of the moves already made by F1's new owners Liberty Media.

The sport's long-time leader was ousted recently and replaced by Chase Carey, Ross Brawn and Sean Bratches. And Ecclestone, 86, told Germany's Welt am Sonntag newspaper that the trio is already doing "things I would never do or never would have done."

One of those things of the young Liberty Media era, Eccleston says, is the new emphasis on social media.

"I have never been convinced of this kind of communication because I do not believe it makes a good contribution to Formula One," said Ecclestone. "Formula 1 is now run like a branch of Starbucks, with someone else always throwing milk into the coffee."

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one ... z4iW2XeLb3

Ah, shut up you old coot! :rolleyes:
By myownalias
Social media is the future, Bernie is still sour because of the way he was deposed... I'm liking the more fan friendly F1 that Liberty has created.
By sagi58
Autoweek:
..."I have never been convinced of this kind of communication because I do not believe it makes a good contribution to Formula One," said Ecclestone. "Formula 1 is now run like a branch of Starbucks, with someone else always throwing milk into the coffee."...

Sure he liked it when he was the dictator, why wouldn't he?

...Ah, shut up you old coot! :rolleyes:

By darwin dali
ESPNF1: Bernie Ecclestone advises F1 to go all electric

Bernie Ecclestone has urged Formula One to become an all-electric racing series in order to remain in line with the future of the motor industry.

The former F1 CEO no longer has a direct influence over the direction of the sport after he was given the honorary title of Chairman Emeritus under F1's new ownership last year. Ecclestone often criticised the existing hybrid engines when he was in charge of the sport, but he now believes the future of F1 should be fully electric.

"We still own the name Formula One, we still have contracts with promoters, let's make different types of cars," he was quoted by the Guardian, "let's speak to the manufacturers and start a new all-electric F1, a Formula One for the future."

Formula E already exists as the FIA's all-electric racing series, but Ecclestone says F1 should sit above that. Although battery technology is not yet ready to produce F1 levels of power over a grand prix distance, Ecclestone believes the only thing stopping F1 is the risk it presents for Liberty.

"Can't we do this?" he said. "The manufacturers provide the cars themselves but we aren't going to pay them because they get massive worldwide publicity. It would be a super Formula E, if you like.

"You can make cars be like an F1 car and the only thing you would miss would be the noise and I do not believe that people could not come up with something to make more or less the old F1 noise. They [Liberty] would need to have the balls to do it today. I think they will have to do it."

Ecclestone also warned that Ferrari's threat to quit the F1 is real. Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne issued the threat last year after raising concerns about the direction of the sport under its new ownership, and Ecclestone says F1 must take the Italian manufacturer seriously.

"F1 is Ferrari and Ferrari is F1," Ecclestone said. "I would hate to see F1 without Ferrari.

"No promoter would be happy to see Ferrari leave," he said. "They would join Ferrari immediately if a new series started with the same elements as now but was cheaper for the racetracks.

"Sergio does not do things unless he is serious. I don't think he is the sort of guy who doesn't do what he says he's going to do."

Thoughts?
By myownalias
Going all electric, maybe in five or ten years, we are not ready yet, I believe electric motoring to be the future. If F1 is to stay road relevant, F1 will need to go electric. That said, I don't believe that F1 should necessarily be road relevant, it's the pinnacle of motorsport, not a highway racing league.

As for Ferrari's threat to leave, been there, done that, they won't leave, Ferrari threaten to leave every time they don't get their way, like a petulant child!
By sagi58
ESPNF1: Bernie Ecclestone advises F1 to go all electric

Bernie Ecclestone has urged Formula One to become an all-electric racing series in order to remain in line with the future of the motor industry...

Thoughts?

Couldn't get past the first line... wasn't it Bernie who was OK with hybrid cars?
Look where that got F1!!

Also, first he doesn't like the "future" look of F1 using social media and yet,
here he is looking into the "future" of electric vehicles...

Whatever!!
By overboost
It is a moot point as the battery/electric technology cannot produce enough power to compete at F1 levels right now. Maybe in ten years time.
By myownalias
It is a moot point as the battery/electric technology cannot produce enough power to compete at F1 levels right now. Maybe in ten years time.

I believe, with current battery/motor technology, we produce the power levels needed, the issue is longevity, do we have batteries with enough charge to last 80 - 120 minutes of racing without the car weighing 3 tons?
By overboost
Yes we are saying the same thing, it is not possible right now to store enough power in our current battery technology to have racing at F1 levels.

Bernie will have to wait but I doubt he will live that long to see it!
By myownalias
Yes we are saying the same thing, it is not possible right now to store enough power in our current battery technology to have racing at F1 levels.

Ah, OK, I read power as horsepower, not power as in enough power to run a race distance, that said, there was some talk of shorter 'feature' races coming out of the Liberty camp!

See our F1 related articles too!