11%
9 Could be the best race of the season
No votes
0%
10 One for the Ages!
No votes
0%
By overboost
How was the race in Prince Albert's backyard?

Spain was rated 7.75

Russia was rated 5.0

Bahrain was rated 7.75

China was rated 6.6

Australia was rated 5.0
It was between a 4 and a 7 for me - lots of procession up front, but also some strategy with the pit stops. Gave it a 7 for the first one-two for Ferrari in ages and for SV's first Ferrari win in Monte Carlo since MS in 2001.
By sagi58
It was between a 4 and a 7 for me - lots of procession up front, but also some strategy with the pit stops. Gave it a 7 for the first one-two for Ferrari in ages and for SV's first Ferrari win in Monte Carlo since MS in 2001.

Gave it an 8, just because...
...the first one-two for Ferrari in ages and for SV's first Ferrari win in Monte Carlo since MS in 2001.

But, I was upset that Kimi didn't keep the win...
I realize Vettel took off, once he was in front and I realize he's the one with the best bid for the WDC;
but, I was hoping Kimi could share the limelight... sigh...
Gave it a 4, I can't even say there were good battles, the only battle was the battle of the strategists.

I've always found Monaco dull due to the nature of the track.
A bit boring so a rating of three from me. Good to see a Ferrari 1-2 although it was a bit odd with Kimi not having the better strategy which cost him the win.
A bit boring so a rating of three from me. Good to see a Ferrari 1-2 although it was a bit odd with Kimi not having the better strategy which cost him the win.

Yes, this is why I think it was preordained, even the ultra-soft tires took several laps to get up to operating temperature, which gave the advantage to Vettel being able to pump in faster laps on his already up to temperature tires. Yes, I know that Vettel had to deal with the same issue after his stop, but it is Monaco and overtaking is near impossible as proven by the stats.
The best strategy seemed to be staying out longer. Raikkonen pitted on lap 34 where the average of the rest of the field was 38 laps. By Kimi pitting early it meant that there was still lots of life in the tires including the (up to temperature) tires of his teammate who was able to use them to put in 5 more quick laps and take the win.

Ferrari gave Kimi the first call but was there an understanding of what was the best strategy? On the podium Kimi reacted like he felt that had been duped.
By sagi58
My question remains: knowing how unpredictable Monaco is and how hard it is to pass, why would
Ferrari intentionally put Kimi in a position where he would not be earning the maximum number of
points for the WCC?? At half point, in the race, no one could have predicted which cars would go into
which wall thanks to which driver...
No one could have guaranteed that the SC would be out for so many laps... No one could have known
and planned for all the possible permutations, probabilities and eventualities this race could hold...
or any other, for that matter... at best, strategists are banking on best case scenarios...

Purposely and purposefully "duping" Kimi would have been like cutting off your nose to spite your face!!
I believe Ferrari's only wish was to make sure that their lead driver, Vettel would end up in front of Raikkonen and then just hope that things pan out for a 1-2. During the Monaco weekend, I heard that Raikkonen is fighting to retain his Ferrari seat for 2018, while Ferrari's best chance of drivers title is definitely the golden child, it's the Ferrari way to have #1 and #2 drivers, which is their choice, it is a team sport. From a logical point of view, it makes sense to prefer the driver leading the title charge, especially when his chief rival was unlikely to score highly. It really makes no sense to take points away from the lead driver for the fourth place driver who is 50 points behind. I think if I were the team manager, I would do the same.
By sagi58
Oh, I agree with Ferrari's philosophy to have a #1 and a #2 driver, as it's what makes the most sense TEAM-wise.
I am having a problem believing that they intentionally manipulated the race, behind the scenes.

Team orders are legal, so why would they have to ""pretend"" that Vettel's strategy worked and Kimi's didn't??
Team orders are legal, so why would they have to ""pretend"" that Vettel's strategy worked and Kimi's didn't??

Optics, it may be legal from a rules point of view, however many fans dislike manufactured results, especially if you happen to be a fan of the driver on the losing end of the team order.
And they don't want Mercedes responding with the same set-up for Hamilton. Keeping something like this just out of view may allow Bottas to continue to take points away from Lewis.

See our F1 related articles too!