FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Eddie Jordan makes his prediction of Vettel to Mercedes,
Lauda complements Vettel as being the best driver in F1.

Vettel/Bottas would be a very quick and forward looking pairing.

Eddie Jordan: 'Vettel is talking to Mercedes'

F1 pundit, Channel 4 commentator and predictor extraordinaire, Eddie Jordan has no doubts that Mercedes and Sebastian Vettel have initiated talks over 2018.

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff, who was seen in close conversation with the Ferrari driver last weekend, played down rumors of talks with the current championship leader.

"There's nothing to it," Wolff facetiously replied when asked about the encounter.

"I was only chatting with my Swiss neighbour."

But former team owner Jordan is adamant that talks are underway.

"Of course they're talking with Vettel," he told Sport Bild.

"They need to be. Formula 1 is a brutal business. It's not just about strengthening yourself, but weakening your opponent," he insisted.

Lauda doesn't see Alonso at Mercedes anytime soon
Niki Lauda has also discarded the Vettel rumours, he the F1 legend does admit that the German driver is impressive.

"He's the best at the moment," said Lauda.

"He is a straightforward guy who knows what he wants, knows how to get something and knows how to extract maximum performance.

"Just an incredible guy," he added.

http://en.f1i.com/news/267294-eddie-jor ... cedes.html
Last edited by overboost on 05 May 17, 00:45, edited 2 times in total.
I could see SV at Mercedes. Remember MS? First Benetton (SV: Red Bull), then Ferrari (SV ditto), then after racking up a number of Ferrari championships move to Mercedes in the twilight of his career, but hopefully a bit more successful than MS who got all of 1 podium out of his time there.
I would think that Merc would want Vettel sooner than later especially if Hamilton is on the wane. But yes it would be a very similar career path to Schumacher. Merc is always on the lookout for a German champion to have one of their seats, Vettel a 4x or even 5x certainly would fit that bill.
Why would Vettel join Mercedes when Ferrari are obviously a race- and potentially championship-winning team this year? Mercedes are going sideways at best, Ferrari are going forwards.
Why would Vettel join Mercedes when Ferrari are obviously a race- and potentially championship-winning team this year? Mercedes are going sideways at best, Ferrari are going forwards.

Ferrari are making progress now, however, next season or even later this season could be a different story, Mercedes offers the safer option as they have been uber consistent over the past three years and are likely to continue that consistency into 2018 and beyond, Ferrari have been hit or miss for years since the Schumacher era.

See our F1 related articles too!