FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Alonso may not be staying at McLaren!

This might explain the sudden renewed interest in Jenson Button by Dennis.

Briatore added of McLaren: "No one imagined it would be this disaster, but I know the people from Honda well and although they do things their way, they know engines.

"In 2016 they will be fighting for podiums."

However, if McLaren aren't able to become competitive at the front end of the field, Alonso is likely to look for a drive elsewhere, even if it is outside of F1.

"If he cannot get a winning car in Formula One, he will find it somewhere else," Briatore asserted.
http://planetf1.com/news/briatore-alons ... uncertain/
Unless Alonso has some sort of performance clause (on the part of McHonda) in his contract, I don't see how he can get another drive, even outside of F1.
ESPNF1:
Asked where exactly the Honda power unit was lacking, Alonso added: "I don't know, it's a question for Honda where they are lacking power. I am not an engineer or an engine designer yet, maybe in the future ... but I don't think it is a deployment issue because many straights here, so in one straight or another you deploy until the braking zone and you lose 30 or 40 km/h in every straight."

Insight into FA's future? :hooli-popcorn:
He claims he will end his career with McLaren, which looks likely to be at the end of 2017 the way it's going.

He has made stinging comments today against Honda saying "There is no reliability and there is no power. We are 30km/h down on the straight, every straight."

Maybe FA could head up Honda's engine design team, the Japanese in charge are doing a piss poor job, clearly, McLaren still way off the mark!
Alonso to miss Monaco to run the Indy 500

"McLaren driver Fernando Alonso will miss the Monaco Grand Prix in May so he can race in the Indianapolis 500.

The double world champion has the full approval and support of McLaren and engine partner Honda, who are having a difficult season in Formula 1.

Alonso, 35, will race for the Honda-powered Andretti team on 28 May, and the car will be branded a McLaren.

McLaren are yet to decide who will replace him in Monaco that weekend, but Jenson Button is a possibility.

Alonso said he had long held an ambition to win the so-called 'triple crown' of Monaco, the Indy 500 and Le Mans.

Only one man has won all three in his career - the late Graham Hill in the 1960s.

Alonso, who won the Monaco Grand Prix in 2006 and 2007, said: "It's a tough challenge, but I'm up for it.

"I don't know when I'm going to race at Le Mans, but one day I intend to. I'm only 35. I've got plenty of time for that.

The Spaniard added he would definitely race for McLaren for the rest of the season, dismissing speculation he could quit part way through the year because of the Honda F1 engine's poor performance.

"It's of course a regret that I won't be able to race at Monaco this year," he said. "But Monaco will be the only 2017 grand prix I'll be missing, and I'll be back in the cockpit for the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal in early June.

"I've never raced an IndyCar car before, and neither have I ever driven on a super-speedway, but I'm confident I'll get to grips with it fast.

"I've watched a lot of IndyCar action on TV and online, and it's clear that great precision is required to race in close proximity with other cars on the far side of 220mph [354km/h]."

Alonso acknowledged he would be on "a steep learning curve"."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/39576099
By gdh
It will be interesting to hearing his after race comments. Barrichelo often said that Indy was the scariest racing he had been involved in. I guess Alonzo wantd to take part in racing's premiere single event of the year.
Last edited by gdh on 12 Apr 17, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
[youtube]7isFOzcN7dM[/youtube]
Jenson Button‏Verified account
@JensonButton

Why do I have so many missed calls?

RETWEETS

9:26 AM - 12 Apr 2017
I find it interesting that the Andretti racing car will be painted in the McLaren livery... I wonder if McLaren is thinking about a possible entry into Indycar?

As for Alonso, why not, it's not like McLaren is going to provide him with podiums this season judging by the first two races.

However, it would be amusing if JB steps in and gets a podium; If McLaren are going to do it, it's likely to be on a street circuit where overall power is not as important.
^A factory team is on the table!

MCLAREN: WE MAY RUN A FULL-WORKS INDYCAR OPERATION
Editor 12 April, 2017 31 Comments

Fernando Alonso will contest the 2017 Indianapolis 500, arguably the world’s most famous race, and the project could be the first step towards a full time Indycar programme for Formula 1’s second most successful team.

Speaking in the wake of the Alonso announcement here>>>, major shareholder Mansour Ojjeh said, “I’ve attended the Indy 500, and I came away hugely impressed by the scope and scale of this enormous and well-organised event, and the sheer enthusiasm of the hundreds of thousands of fans in attendance.”

“More than 30 years [after McLaren’s Indianapolis 500 victory], I’m pleased and proud that we’re about to embark on a new IndyCar era for McLaren, this time with Andretti Autosport and Honda.”

“The Indy 500 is the only IndyCar race we’ll be entering this year, but we may possibly repeat that in years to come and it’s just possible that we may even run a full-works McLaren IndyCar operation at some point in the future. We’ll see,” added Ojjeh.

http://www.grandprix247.com/2017/04/12/ ... operation/
Last edited by overboost on 12 Apr 17, 22:42, edited 2 times in total.

See our F1 related articles too!