FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By sagi58
...Merc has every right to use team orders and I support team orders especially when the #2 driver late in a season could be taking away points from a wdc contending teammate. However in this particular team and knowing that it is a one way street with Hamilton, Rosberg imo needs to stand up and fight for every point if he is to have any chance...

Maybe that's the problem with having 2 roosters in the same hen house? :thumbup:
By overboost
...Merc has every right to use team orders and I support team orders especially when the #2 driver late in a season could be taking away points from a wdc contending teammate. However in this particular team and knowing that it is a one way street with Hamilton, Rosberg imo needs to stand up and fight for every point if he is to have any chance...

Maybe that's the problem with having 2 roosters in the same hen house? :thumbup:

More like one timid rooster. And one rooster with it's head firmly up the farmers bottom!

If Rosberg, instead of flying out of the way as soon as farmer Wolff gave the order, had held Lewis behind for just one or two more laps, 5 seconds, then Ricciardo would have come out ahead of Hamilton, taken the win and Rosberg would have preserved 7 points of his lead.

Those could be an important 7 points come the end of the season.

Christian Danner is making the same point I am in this article. Marc Surer is taking the team point of view.

http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/06/01/ ... in-monaco/

Massa made the same mistake of not defending against Hamilton at the 2008 German gp, letting him past after only two corners. Hamilton went on to win that race and eventually beat Massa by 1 point for the wdc.

Here is Wolff on Rosberg's willingness to move over:

"Wolff said Rosberg did not even question the call when it came from the pit wall.

"Not one single question. First we told him to pick up the pace if he would be capable of doing so and if not to let him by. A lap later we gave him the call of letting him by and he did that immediately.""
Last edited by overboost on 16 Mar 17, 22:29, edited 4 times in total.
By sagi58
Thanks for the link, overboost!

As I read this...
...former F1 driver and pundit, Marc Surer, says Rosberg was right to let Hamilton past because not doing so would have handed a win to Mercedes’ rivals.

...I began to wonder...
Even if the win had gone to Red Bull... even if it had gone to Ferrari... so what?
At the end of the season, what would that even mean, if the last few years are anything to go by?
It may have delayed Mercedes sewing up the WCC; but, again, so what?
By sagi58
What do you mean?

signed:
Fox in the hen house

Fox, eh? A little phonetic Freudian slip, me thinks!!
By overboost
Rosberg though if he was serious about winning the championship should never have let Hamilton past. Make him earn it. Having Hamilton being gifted the lead twice in the race really took away what could have been an epic Monaco.

I really don't agree with that statement, F1 is a team sport after all, why keep the faster driver behind while the leader was stretching out a 1.5-2 second lead each lap, it was upto 15 seconds by the time Hamilton was released, it was the smart team decision. That alone would not have ensured victory, if Red Bull didn't have that botched pitstop, Ricciardo would have been out ahead of Hamilton and the Briton would never have been able to chase down Ricciardo as the Australian was clearly faster for much of the race.

Rosberg should have kept him behind to keep Hamilton from scoring more points than him!

In making Hamilton work for it he could have forced a mistake and Hamilton could have put himself out or damaged his car, many things could happen to help Rosberg in the wdc rather than just giving up points. This also comes just one race after Hamilton took himself and Rosberg out (costing Rosberg 25 points!), he would have had to be extra careful before risking anything so advantage Rosberg and a damn good reason not to let him past.

Also the favour will not be repaid. The context for my comment is pretty much covered in this article. Lewis isn't going to comply.http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/i-m-h ... -hamilton/

This is probably Rosbergs only shot at winning the wdc, he shouldn't be handing charity to Lewis Hamilton imo.

Hey, I got it right about how the season would play out, it was destined to be Rosberg's only shot at a title. And also correctly predicted Hamilton would not follow team play as Rosberg had done for him at Monaco. :D

Instead Hamilton paid Rosberg back by desperately pushing him into the clutches of Vettel and Verstappen in Abu Dhabi in spite of his team ordering him to race!

It is good that 2016 still worked out in the end for Rosberg, he put everything he had into achieving his goal.
By sagi58
Hey, I got it right about how the season would play out, it was destined to be Rosberg's only shot at a title. And also correctly predicted Hamilton would not follow team play as Rosberg had done for him at Monaco. :D

Instead Hamilton paid Rosberg back by desperately pushing him into the clutches of Vettel and Verstappen in Abu Dhabi in spite of his team ordering him to race!

It is good that 2016 still worked out in the end for Rosberg, he put everything he had into achieving his goal.

ImageImageImage

See our F1 related articles too!