FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By myownalias
Should we be surprised? I think not.

I was concerned when Ron Dennis announced the decision to switch to Honda power and all he talked about was past glories, which we all know mean absolutely nothing. Just because Honda dominated in the last turbo era doesn't mean sh!t in modern F1, today's F1 engines are much more complicated than putting massive amounts of boost into the car.
By darwin dali
On paper you'd think it was a good decision with Honda being a pioneer in hybrid cars, but oh well...
By sagi58

Would they be getting a current engine, or would it be last year's version?
And, does anyone have a veto on this particular partnership?
By sagi58
On paper you'd think it was a good decision with Honda being a pioneer in hybrid cars, but oh well...

Yeah, well, they didn't help write the rules, now did they?? :P
By myownalias

Would they be getting a current engine, or would it be last year's version?

Heck, even if it was a 2015 spec Mercedes engine, it's still infinitely better than what Honda have brought to the table.
By darwin dali
ESPNF1: No sh!t!

After spending the past three years putting pressure on engine partner Honda for its lack of performance, McLaren admitted it would be left with no excuses once it switched to Renault power over the winter. But at the opening three races, McLaren's fastest Q2 time has been on average 1.023s off the fastest Q2 time set by Red Bull, which also runs Renault engines. Boullier admits that kind of deficit in chassis performance is not acceptable.

Isn't McLaren supposed to be the ultimate F1 constructor and Red Bull is just a drinks company? :twisted:
By darwin dali
Heads are rolling - finally!

Brown said Boullier's resignation had not come as a surprise after mounting pressure on the team in recent weeks.

"Eric's resignation wasn't a surprise," Brown added. "I spend a lot of a time with the team, a lot of time with Eric, he's someone I have known for a long time. Obviously we have been under a lot of pressure and underperforming for too long, so Eric and I have had many conversations around how we can improve McLaren, and so we'd had conversations in the past of what's the best way to do that.

"Ultimately, he wants what's best for McLaren as we all do, so when he ultimately made his decision it was not a surprise. It was something we had spoken about in our challenges and potential ways to address them."

Stop the sugarcoating, Boullier was fired.
By overboost
Good to see Boulliar gone.
By overboost
https://www.grandprix247.com/2018/07/05 ... t-mclaren/

Ron Dennis the architect of McLaren's fall. Interesting article. Also keep in mind that after he lost Newey he drove away Mercedes and then his creation Hamilton.

The last point on Newey is so pertinent right now as the two teams who let him slip through their fingers – Williams and McLaren – are languishing at the wrong end of the grid while the design genius regularly pumps out fantastic race cars. Case in point this year’s Red Bull RB14 versus McLaren MCL33, no contest by a large margin

To illustrate this I asked a contact and friend of mine at McLaren if I could publish the email he sent me regarding his thoughts on Newey in the wake of these latest developments, he agreed but asked that it be done anonymously for obvious reasons. Here it is:

Hi Paul

Good job on the McLaren coverage bit harsh but I can’t fault it and I think quite a few people I know on the F1 race team are jittery.

But I am not writing to you about that!

I was around in the days of Adrian and Ron, I think it is important that history is not twisted around to suit the story.

That Ron did not make Adrian a shareholder or gave him everything he wanted shocked me then and to be honest I am still in shock to this day. It was a big mistake.

I think it was around 1997 when Adrian came on board from Williams, he was a shy and quiet guy but obvious a genius.

We won 98 and 99, but at some point in early 2000 he nearly went to Jag. We found out then that Ron refused to make him a shareholder. Adrian stayed but he was never the same then Christian [Horner] came along and that was that.

RD poo-pooed the move at the time like it was no big deal. Some agreed with him but there were others who could not believe we lost Adrian. I still am!!!

What we have today is directly due to that missed opportunity.

Ron is admired for what he did here at McLaren, great cars, beautiful kit, painting pit garages, great jokes, proper team spirit, and our attitude. We were Boss remember! We were the real deal and the team everyone had to beat. We walked tall. He deserves eternal credit for that.

But even the big boys f@ck up and that cannot be forgotten in light of what history has shown us. RD won’t ever admit it, but if he is intelligent and honest he will agree.

Allowing RB to take Adrian is so inexplicable it makes me question really how good RD actually was.

Imagine that a car designer and recognised talent working for our F1-spawned supercar manufacturer is lured away to work for an energy drinks organisation!!!

That was so f@cking stupid and the day Adrian walked the rot began here. It took a while to manifest but now we have it. Its a friggin morgue.

So true source of today’s problem is RD was shortsighted (stupid???) enough not to lock Adrian into a deal which would probably cost the team a couple of a million quid a year at the time.

I think he gets ten or 12 mil a year from RB, cheap if you think of the wage packages they dish out for our design staff that put together that shitbox.

Instead, they went matrix with Martin, tasked by Ron to the change the culture from Adrian who at the time had a smallish team of hand-picked assistants to what it is now.

It’s a mess! Try pinpoint what is wrong, or in this case who is to blame, when they deliver a shitbox like we have now. Instead, goodbye Tim, Eric and many more trust me… as you say watch this space. LOL!

Matrix means no accountability, faction fighting and pointing fingers. It has not worked

So there you have it from the horse’s mouth.

See our F1 related articles too!