FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Celebrate over sixty years of F1 - your memories, experiences and opinions.
By sagi58
 wrote:">The Biggest F1 Rule Breakers Of All Time

Renault's mass damper 2005

Renault’s mass damper was basically a weight that was suspending by hydraulic springs in the nose (and some in the rear too) of the car that reduced bouncing in the chassis, helping the car to stay more stable. It was eventually banned as a “movable aerodynamic piece” even though it was mounted inside the the car and therefore obviously could have had no effect on aerodynamics!

By sagi58

BMW's turbo engines 1986

BMW would get close to 1,500 horsepower out of the 1.5-liter F1 engines... How? Simple... as there were no limitations in place then on the amount of engines a team could use in a season, after completing four very fast laps the qualifying engine would simply be driven to destruction and the team would simply put a new one in for the race.

By sagi58

Brawn's double diffuser in 2009

In 2009, Formula 1's rules restricted the size of the rear diffuser, so Brawn changed the shape which in effect created a 'double decker' diffuser! Although other teams protested it was illegal, it was so effective that it secured Brawn the championship.

By sagi58

The twin-chassis Lotus in 1981

The Lotus 88 used a twin chassis, one inside the other, one to old the cockpit and one designed to take the pressure of the ground effects. Although the outer chassis did not have discernible wings, it was, in effect one huge ground effect system, producing massive amounts of downforce.

By sagi58

McLaren's rear brake in 1997

The original MP4/12 was known to be a car which was so well designed that it totally eliminated understeer and wheel spin in any corner, that was until photographer Darren Heath took this picture and discovered that the car had one pedal too many... a rear wheel brake!

By sagi58

Benetton's traction control in 1994

It is unconfirmed (but widely believed) that Red Bull gave Vettel his fourth championship with the help of traction control... some may even say that the same system gave Michael Schumacher a decent start to his winning ways... there are even those who may well call this 'cheating'... but not us... obviously!

By sagi58

Brabham's fan car in 1978

Designed by the legendary Gordon Murray, the Brabham BT46 was literally sucked to the ground by a huge fan stuck on the back of the car. Other drivers complained that the fan picked up stones off the track and shot them at following cars. It won its first race, and it would have won many more, but Brabham agreed to give up the technology after months of development for the sake of the sport.

The fan car was too effective, too out-of-the-box for its own good.

The title is misleading, none of these examples broke the rules of the sport, they took advantage of loopholes in the rules; a very different scenario to breaking the rules, yes, these technologies / designs were later banned and the loopholes closed, but at the time of implementation, it was legal in the sport
By sagi58
Just to be clear, I didn't write the title!! :blush:

I wonder... do you think that they were referring to how big of a difference these changes made to the sport? :confused:
I understand you didn't write the title, but my point stands....

All these technologies that were banned did more to stifle the sport than change it; imagine how fast F1 would be with all these technologies still available?
By sagi58
If those technologies had been allowed, maybe we wouldn't have some of the regulations we have now.
By ibsey

Benetton's traction control in 1994

It is unconfirmed (but widely believed) that Red Bull gave Vettel his fourth championship with the help of traction control... some may even say that the same system gave Michael Schumacher a decent start to his winning ways... there are even those who may well call this 'cheating'... but not us... obviously!

I know alot of people believe the above, however there is a lot the general public don't know about the 1994 F1 season. I'm writing a new book about it, the Benetton cheating allegations & associated politics. www.1994f1.com
By sagi58
...I know alot of people believe the above, however there is a lot the general public don't know about the 1994 F1 season. I'm writing a new book about it, the Benetton cheating allegations & associated politics. http://www.1994f1.com

First of all....

Secondly, for the record, I'm a Ferrari/Schumi fan.
I don't believe that all the "bad" things that happened in F1 can be laid at their feet.
I fond that article and thought I'd share it.

:wavey:

See our F1 related articles too!