FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By sagi58
 wrote:">Red Bull cautious on 2016 performance

Red Bull is keeping its expectations in check ahead of the new F1 season.

After a long and bitter spat with engine partner Renault, the premier energy drink-owned team is staying with French power for 2016, albeit as an unbranded customer.

"I wouldn't like to make predictions," part-time technical chief Adrian Newey told Britain's Sky.

"But Honda I'm sure will be making a good step forwards for McLaren. Even Toro Rosso having a one-year out-of-date Ferrari engine will have a good step on their performance. So it's very difficult for us to forecast exactly where we're going to be," he added.

Renault insiders are whispering about a 50 horse power boost compared to the end of 2015, and Red Bull team boss Christian Horner has hopes the deeper involvement of Ilmor's Mario Illien will also pay off.

"Wait and see. There's always hope," he said. "Mario's doing a great job."

At the same time, Horner is also not expecting that Red Bull can challenge Mercedes this year.

"The regulations are virtually unchanged," he is quoted by Speed Week, "so for me it's logical that Mercedes, given its big gap, will retain its dominance.

"I don't know what odds the bookmakers are giving, but I don't think it would be a good idea to bet against them," Horner added.

Team test driver Sebastien Buemi is also unsure what Red Bull will be able to achieve in 2016.

"We have big teams like McLaren that are behind," he told motorsport-magazin.com, "but Red Bull is doing a good job.

"It depends what progress Renault makes."

(GMM)
By sagi58
 wrote:">Formula 1: A closer look at the drivers' cars for the 2016 season

Formula 1 constructors have revealed the designs of their new cars for the 2016 campaign.

But what should we be looking out for ahead of pre-season testing? BBC Sport highlights a selection of key features...

...Red Bull

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner says anticipated improvements to the team's Renault engine will create a "season of two halves".

Key feature: This year, Red Bull's engine provider Renault will be assisted in its development of their engine by British company Ilmor.

Expert view from Christian Horner: "I believe it will be a transitional year. I think we are going to start the year with some progress from the end of last season, but I think with our engine partner's commitment to buying a team we will see staged progress during the course of the year."

By sagi58
Nate Saunders wrote:">The biggest issue facing each F1 team in 2016

Red Bull

In engine limbo

Red Bull approaches 2016 in a strange situation. After months of quit threats and posturing in 2015 and a rather embarrassing about-face to Renault, it will line up with engines branded as TAG Heuer. However, before a wheel has even turned on the RB12 or any of its rivals, the team has been on the losing side of two major battles which could shape its future in Formula One. The agreement between F1's four manufacturers to cut the cost of customer engines was a blow for Red Bull. Doing so effectively killed off the 'budget' engine Jean Todt and Bernie Ecclestone had threatened to forcibly introduce to the sport. If it had known a cheaper and, crucially, independent engine supplier was joining in 2017 it could have gone into this year knowing it was simply an interim season with what will likely be another uncompetitive power unit. The budget engine would have likely been equalised in some way -- explaining why manufacturers were resolutely set against it -- thus giving Red Bull a chance to return to competitiveness next year. Alas, that option for post-2016 is now off the table.

On top of that, the aerodynamic changes initially proposed for 2017 could be watered down due to fears initially raised by Mercedes about tyre pressures. Pirelli agreed with the world champions and that means F1 is likely to remain heavily slanted in favour of engine performance over aero under the new 2017 rules -- a bitter blow to the designers at Milton Keynes. Tempting another manufacturer into F1 is something Red Bull tried last year with Volkswagen but, as Honda's horrid first season proved, that is no magic solution either. Whether 2016 is another of Red Bull playing the pantomime role of pram-toy-ejector again remains to be seen, but at the moment it is hard to see how and when it can get back to the top of the pecking order under the current regulations.

So the paddock rumor mill has it that Red Bull is working on their own engine. Understandable after the acrimonious Renault fiasco, wouldn't you say? Still, this would be quite a herculean undertaking for such a relatively small outfit (compared to giants Mercedes, Renault, Honda, even Ferrari to a degree).
Fortunately, they just forged a sponsorship deal with Aston Martin and the new engines are to be branded with that venerable name. :morepopcorn:
ESPNF1:
Red Bull boss Christian Horner says the progress of Renault and Honda's respective engine upgrades in the lead up to June's Canadian Grand Prix will dictate the team's decision on 2019.

Red Bull is in the final year of its contract with Renault and it looks likely the pair will split, having seen its relationship deteriorate since the introduction of V6 turbo engines in 2014. The only alternative is Honda, who supplies junior team Toro Rosso. Red Bull started formal discussions with the Japanese manufacturer after the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

Renault previously warned Red Bull it would not budge on its deadline of May but Horner has other ideas.

"There won't be a decision in May," Horner said. "I think potentially both engine suppliers are bringing an upgrade around Montreal so we wait and see with interest."
Renault has not officially confirmed when it will bring an upgraded spec, but Horner believes it will be there for the seventh round of the season on June 10.

"Hopefully around Montreal time, there is a next [Renault] engine introduction; we are hoping for a performance increase."

Honda has welcomed Red Bull's decision to delay the deision. The Japanese manufacturer is yet to decide whether it is willing to take on the additional workload of supplying two teams in one season.

"We regard it as a positive thing, giving us time means we have time to consult more," Honda boss Masahi Yamamoto told Autosport. "We are very positive.

"To deal with Red Bull is a really big thing for Honda, because they are a top team. This gives us a sort of pressure as an engine manufacturer. We have to consider many aspects very well, can we really deal with Red Bull's size? We have to feel the responsibility to supply the engine."

I don't get it: why don't they simply say yes, one Red Bull team will continue with Renault and then decide later which one it will be and which one will use Honda? :confused:
That way Renault can plan for their production, Honda doesn't have to think too hard about supplying two teams (and plan and ramp up production), and Red Bull can decide later in the season which engine they like better for their A-team. :thumbup:
By sagi58
... I don't get it: why don't they simply say yes, one Red Bull team will continue with Renault and then decide later which one it will be and which one will use Honda? :confused:
That way Renault can plan for their production, Honda doesn't have to think too hard about supplying two teams (and plan and ramp up production), and Red Bull can decide later in the season which engine they like better for their A-team. :thumbup:

Considering that's a great idea, it's no wonder they haven't thought of it!!
After all, common sense isn't so common any more, is it? :P

See our F1 related articles too!