FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss GP2, A1, Rallying, Indycar, Nascar and all other racing series!
By darwin dali
ESPNF1:
Nico Hulkenberg wins with Porsche at Le Mans

Nico Hulkenberg has become a Le Mans 24 Hours winner after the Porsche 919 Hybrid he shared with Nick Tandy and Earl Bamber took victory at the famous race by over a lap.

It was Porsche's first overall win at Le Mans since 1998 and its 17th of all time, extending its lead over Audi (13 victories) as the most successful manufacturer at the event. Hulkenberg became the first active F1 driver to win at Le Mans since Johnny Herbert and Bertrand Gachot won with Mazda in 1991, and will be back in action with Force India at the Austrian Grand Prix next weekend. The No.17 919 Hybrid of Mark Webber, Brendon Hartley and Timo Bernhard made it a one-two for Porsche ahead of last year's winners Marcel Fassler, Andre Lotterer and Benoit Treluyer in the No.7 Audi.

Audi and Porsche were locked in a tight battle for most of the race and on a number of occasions one of the R18 e-tron Quattros led the field. Lotterer took the lead from the No.17 Porsche as early as the second hour, but a puncture not long after saw him drop back down the field. The No.9 Audi was out of sync on its pit stop strategy with the leading cars and took the lead in the seventh hour as a tense battle raged between the No.19 Porsche and the No.7 Audi behind.

In the eighth hour, a safety car period backed up the top four cars with Audi No.9 leading Porsche No.17, Porsche No.19 and Audi No.7. At the restart Hulkenberg, at the wheel of No.19, passed Webber at the wheel of No.17, and when the No.9 Audi pitted, it gave the eventual winners the lead for the first time in the race.

A drive-through penalty for overtaking under yellow flags then dropped the No.17 Porsche out of contention, before Tandy put in an impressive stint through the night to cement No.19's lead over the No.7 Audi. The chasing Audi hit trouble in the 16th hour when part of its rear bodywork disintegrated coming through the Porsche curves and it was forced to pit and undergo repairs for seven minutes.

The No.9 Audi was in the running for second place, but fell to seventh in the final six hours after having its front driveshaft changed, promoting Porsche No.17 to second and Audi No.7 to third.

KCMG won the LMP2 class with Nicolas Lapierre, Richard Bradley and Matt Howson, while Corvette won GTE Pro with Oliver Gavin, Tommy Milner and Jordan Taylor. The SMP Ferrari of Victor Shaitar, Andrea Bertolini and Aleksey Basovtook took advantage of a late accident for the No.98 Aston Martin to win the GTE Am class.

Nissan made an inauspicious return to Le Mans with its radical front-engined and front-wheel drive GT-R LM NISMO. Only one of its three cars saw the finish, albeit 154 laps down, and all of them suffered reliability problems throughout the 24 hours.

:clap:
By Stephen
Given the state of F1, I wouldn't be surprised to see him follow Webber next year for the full series. His stock has gone up, I hope Rosberg has a bullet proof contract...for his sake! :D
By Jabberwocky
To be fair a drive through penalty is not that harsh for a 24 hour race lol

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
By overboost
Given the state of F1, I wouldn't be surprised to see him follow Webber next year for the full series. His stock has gone up, I hope Rosberg has a bullet proof contract...for his sake! :D

Quite an achievement for Hulk. I hope he brings the trophy to Austria and shows it off in the paddock!

As for Hulk replacing Rosberg - I doubt if would happen as Hamilton likely has a veto on teammates.
By darwin dali

As for Hulk replacing Rosberg - I doubt if would happen as Hamilton likely has a veto on teammates.

What? Are you saying LH prefers the bitch he knows?
Maybe so.
But remember even Nicole eventually got the boot :twisted:
By overboost
Lets just say he has a thing for his 'Heikki' Rosberg!
By overboost
Looking good Hulk! Show off that trophy!!

Check out Rosbergs expression. He is suffering from Coulthard syndrome - in a top car for most of his career but can't win and is obviously pissed about Hulkenburg's great victory!
By stonemonkey
Webber must be pleased with that, coming in 2nd to a German team mate.

See our F1 related articles too!