FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By Selcouth_Feline
Max Mosley apparently thinks that F1 could potentially be banned in the next few years. He reckons that politicians will start to use the sport as a political tool if an oil crisis starts and that F1 must show that they do care about the environment by being on the 'cutting edge of fuel technology' so that the cars become more fuel efficient. Obviously, banning the sport would grab a lot of people's attention and would be an effective argument for politicians.

To me, the cutting edge of fuel technology (in terms of fuel efficiency) are those cars which can go hundreds and hundreds of miles on a teaspoon of petrol. Whilst I think it's a good thing for the cars to become more environmentally friendly (I wonder how much fuel 1 team gets through in a season?) I don't think politicians would ever go so far as to ban F1...they'd alienate too many voters.
By R00DIT
I'm more for banning football. Compare the very little fuel used during an F1 season with all the fuel used by football supporters, travelling to 100+ matches every weekend, in most semi-developed countries.

Sure it wouldn't be a popular move, but it's an easier target than F1.
By Stephen
To be honest it's more likely F1 will either mature so much that conventional fuel is no longer required, or more likely, fall apart through petty ranglings.
By simac
On the subject of fuel, it occured to me that in the 3rd period of qually the drivers were delibrately circulating the circuit just to burn fuel off. I suppose this is so that the car is as light as possible for the last fast laps.

You could not normally refer to me as being very "green" but I think that this blatent waste of fuel is a bit much and i'm surprised I haven't seen a fuss made about it yet.

What are your thoughts ? ?
By Freddie
I fully agree ! This is the only thing they need to change about the new qualifying - it was completely ridiculous !
By simac
Yes, besides wasting all that fuel the new qually session was very exciting !

Driving around like that using up valuable fuel will only attract attention from certain people who have negative feelings towards motorsports already.
By Stephen
Agreed, perhaps a better way would be to allow the teams to have 20 minutes in which to run any fuel they like, making as many runs as they like - much like the 12 laps/hour long qualifying we saw way back when. :?:

Would be great to see drivers on a proper 'HOT' lap again.
By darwin dali
Yes, this is something I've been advocating for years. Finally, finally good news: ''All kinds of motors will be allowed,'' Max was quoted as saying by the Italian 'La Gazzetta dello Sport' newspaper, ''but every car will get an equal amount of fuel. So it will be based on (fuel) consumption. Who wins will be the one who uses (the fuel) best.''

Cool, we'll finally see what ingenious engineers can come up with to get from A to B the fastest with the least fuel. And with today's heavy involvement of the car manufacturers, chances are those new developments actually find their way into consumer cars.
By Marco
Ha ha, exactly. This kind of thing does nothing for our sport, i must admit to cowering behind the sofa when i watched the first qualifying in bahrain, not for fear of f1, but over what the 'environmental groups' were gonna say about it. I mean, you talk to even slightly 'car phobe' people about F1 and they already assume they use 20 times the fuel of a standard car over a race distance!!! :roll::evil:

See our F1 related articles too!