FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By What's Burning?
I think you may have jumped the gun there Jabber, the official name is Manor Marussia F1 Team
By LRW
At least they'll get to keep their prize money from last year this way. Stop the other teams getting their sticky little mitts on it.
By racechick
Delighted they're on the grid. And credit to McLaren and Ferrari for helping out. Disappointed with FI for trying to block them to get their money.
By Jabberwocky
Well if FI are on their knees because they had to take on the cost of designing and building a new car, why should Manor/Marussia/Caterham or anyone else get a free pass?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
By Hammer278
Well if FI are on their knees because they had to take on the cost of designing and building a new car, why should Manor/Marussia/Caterham or anyone else get a free pass?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Exactly.
By racechick
It's not like they've chosen a free pass option. They were bankrupt. Their wind tunnel was sold so they couldn't design a new car, there only hope was to be allowed to run the 2014 one.
I understand that FI have their own difficulties , but trying to nab Marussia's prize money and put them right out of business I don't think is nice. And it's shortsighted, because if teams go under then the whole of F1 is the looser and is the poorer for that loss. Ferrari and Mclaren should be applauded for helping out a striken team.
By CookinFlat6
Ferrari are only in it to get paid their engine bill. If they had any sense they would have grabbed yet another deal offered by Toto over the unfreeze. Toto offered free tokens if Ferrari would put the money they wanted to spend into their struggling customers by cutting the engine price and all updates

Ferrari rejected this

McLaren are offering a great deal, but Ferrari are a creditor and wont let it happen, the new investor ideally would like to right off the debt to Ferrari and choose a new mcLaren Honda arrangement, but Ferrari wont write of th debt without a new deal involving paying back some debt in some way

nothing changes with these guys

Also gotta speak up or FI here, they are the fall guy, Williams and Merc were gonna vote for Marussis to continue, Ferrari not, and Ferrari used their veto/etc to get (the non permanent 5th place strategy group member) FI voting first after having a ""word"". This is as obvious as night and day. Merc and Williams would have gone first as the "doves"
FI are living on handouts from Merc re engines ( testdriver - why Merc were so selfish when Lewis went ill etc) - Ferrari didnt do the same for Marrussia

We never have to look far when underhand things happen - have FI ever been sneaky and mean? do they have to survive? - yes
By Hammer278
It's not like they've chosen a free pass option. They were bankrupt. Their wind tunnel was sold so they couldn't design a new car, there only hope was to be allowed to run the 2014 one.
I understand that FI have their own difficulties , but trying to nab Marussia's prize money and put them right out of business I don't think is nice. And it's shortsighted, because if teams go under then the whole of F1 is the looser and is the poorer for that loss. Ferrari and Mclaren should be applauded for helping out a striken team.

RC, that doesn't make it FIs problem.

If you bought a house later found out you couldn't pay the mortgage since you chose a house too extravagant for your income....and then in the next year you needed to buy another house again to stay in the game, would you expect the bank to give you a free pass?

At the same time I bought the exact same house though I somehow managed to stay afloat, and on top of that top up additional money to put a new downpayment for another house next year, why would I settle for having to pay the additional downpayment when I could get some of that prize money to help me out (money given by the bank as reward for maintaining the house) and give myself a slightly easier life? Or I continue struggling like mad and see you come back in as a declared bankrupt and you manage to get another house (slightly older) to stay in the game and continue competing in my field?

It comes down to business vs heart and when you have to survive, you will do what it takes to survive.
By racechick
I understand what you're saying here Hammer. I'd make a poor businesswoman when things got cut throat because I couldn't do the nasty deals. Also I hadn't realised the vested interest from Ferrari. And I think FI to a certain extent were the fall guys, because thy voted first it meant the deal wasn't on, and others would likely have voted the same way.
All that said I think teams in genuine difficulty should be helped to stay in F1 otherwise before long we'd be left with RedBull, Mercedes and Ferrari. ( I know it shouldn't be the team's that have to help out, the money situation is all wrong, but if it's the only way to keep a team afloat for a year Im glad the team is kept afloat)
By sagi58
I understand what you're saying here Hammer...

( I know it shouldn't be the team's that have to help out, the money situation is all wrong, but if it's the only way to keep a team afloat for a year Im glad the team is kept afloat)

Hammer does make a lot of sense! Putting into a more "personal" perspective made it more real.

As for the money situation in F1, it is all wrong. I agree. I think it's high time all the interested
parties sit down and work out an agreement that is more equitable for all teams. Most importantly,
transparency should be the order of the day. And, yes, that's my opinion as a Ferrari fan.
By LRW
Youve got to feel for the smaller teams - they came into the sport on a promise of capped spending.
By What's Burning?
I'm with Bernie, he isn't getting any younger so his earning potential is limited before he retires, it's always the small business man that gets the shaft in favor of the large corporations.
By sagi58
Sheez.... "When" he retires? :yikes:
If he hasn't got enough money to retire comfortably, at 85, he never will!!
By zurich_allan
I see that Manor Marussia have been given the final seal of approval to be on the grid in Melbourne. This is good news! :)

See our F1 related articles too!