FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Obviously, Newey would have had the specs of the Mercedes engine and we know is a great designer, you don't design a four time constructors title winning car without talent, so I believe Newey could have designed a chassis as good around the Mercedes power unit, maybe better than the Mercedes chassis.

He's also the same guy who built lemons at McLaren which couldn't even feature outside testing. With the new reg changes, he could've gone either way, fact remains Costa beat him to a pulp for 2014 and Newey has run off to play with boats.

Not to mention the illegal front wing RB had been running those years with other teams contesting it over and over even though the FIA were too dumb to figure out the trick.
The ram raid on the red Bull factory is about to come on crine watch on bbc

Edit. Just saw you beat me to it on this Ang. :rofl:
Obviously, Newey would have had the specs of the Mercedes engine and we know is a great designer, you don't design a four time constructors title winning car without talent, so I believe Newey could have designed a chassis as good around the Mercedes power unit, maybe better than the Mercedes chassis.

Its not likely it would be better than the one produced by Aldo and co. Why? because Neweys real strengths are in aero and the scope was greatly reduced and there is no evidence of chassis and mech engineers at RBR with the experience in winning teams that Aldo and his boys have. Lets remeber there was a time recently when it was said merc had a TD for every role - we saw the results - RBR didnt have that TD/near TP level in charge of each of the teams.

Finally we have evidence that packaging around mechanical is not his strongest point and indeed has bitten him hard in the past -'fast and unreliable' an epithat always applied to him that goes hand in hand with good aero but sh!t mechanicals sympathy, we saw that again last year with the turkey that turned up at Jerez and needed holes drilled in the side to make it to the first corner. even given Merc specs and allowed full control, there is no evidence he can ace this type of packaging without the dark arts of aero to over compensate (like it did in the previous era when Renault had a too small and fragile Kers - as a result of design input from Newey

Mainly though everyone likes winning and beating their peers and if he had a balanced skill set chances are he wouldnt have done such a quick vanishing job from RBR - guess the same goes for seb, and indeed for their hard 'won' trophy cabinet :hehe:
I wouldn't accuse Red Bull of not earning their trophies. There were some dubious practices for sure, and they were also caught with their hand in the cookie jar and suffered no repercussions from it whatsoever. But they earned their trophies because they brought the best car.

On the mass exodus from Red Bull, clearly the less of an impact that aero regulations have on F1 the less that you can carve out loads of rear grip, traction and lap time from it. So you don't have to beat Adrian's designs (assuming he got it right) just be close enough. I would question given some of the mid corner lap time graphics we got this year with corner entry/apex/exit speeds that Red Bull's chassis was matched by the boys at Mercedes.
Interesting how that guy read what the trophy was for and then launched it onto the floor.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Interesting how that guy read what the trophy was for and then launched it onto the floor.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

It was a Monaco trophy, then the other guy's all excited after picking up a different monaco trophy.
I would question given some of the mid corner lap time graphics we got this year with corner entry/apex/exit speeds that Red Bull's chassis was matched by the boys at Mercedes.

Those numbers looked spectacular in some corners in some cicuits. Every corner every circuit on balance the Merc chassis spanked butt. We could check that by averaging Rosbergs total lap times at speeds say under 150mph over the whole season vs Riccs total lap time spent at those speeds. As long as Ricc did not cover more distance in the same time under those speeds we could attribute a lot of it to the chassis as opposed to the engine. But the engine and its usability would still factor, so maybe its better to put it this way - what max speed taken over the whole season do you think Ricc would have covered more distance than Rosberg

I instinctively feel there wouldn't be any such speed. On some tracks yes, although I can even think without checking which ones, Monaco? Was Ricc faster than either Merc at speeds where each engine was pretty much doing the same. I just diont see it, could be wrong tho
By sagi58
 wrote:">

...the new Red Bull caused an instant stir at Jerez when it rolled out of the team’s garage in a striking ‘disguised’ livery on Sunday morning.

Not that aesthetics were the team’s primary consideration as they sought to prevent any prying eyes learning their design secrets.

"It came out of a helmet design which Sebastian ran last year,” said Horner. “It epitomises Red Bull because we are not afraid to do things differently. It also makes it more difficult to take detailed pictures of the car because it confuses your eyeline."

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I was confused until I saw the date of your respective posts.
By ang4f1
Top Gear..starting in a few minutes on BBC2 at 8pm
Daniel Riccardo is the star in the reasonably priced car....

Lewis 8-) set a stellar lap ..in the wet ...a while ago..
By ang4f1
Daniel tops the time sheet with a 1.42.2 :clap:
Lewis second fastest with a 1.42.9..... this time was set in dry conditions...
I bet they are hoping Lewis will be back soon....... :)

See our F1 related articles too!