FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By Hammer278
She is not classy... well not in my dreams..... ;-)

Reported to SWMBO.
By Hammer278
By What's Burning?
Pat Symonds reminding us that engineering on a budget is what he's most proud of.
Looking ahead to this year's campaign, Symonds concedes there is less room for huge improvements from the team.

"We have set the bar high. We are not a team that is in financial troubles by any means, but we are not a team that has the budget available that our competitors have.

"It is one of the things that gives me great pleasure in beating Ferrari last year, it is not the fact that I am a competitive person, but that we beat them on half their budgets!
By Hammer278
Pat Symonds reminding us that engineering on a budget is what he's most proud of.
Looking ahead to this year's campaign, Symonds concedes there is less room for huge improvements from the team.

"We have set the bar high. We are not a team that is in financial troubles by any means, but we are not a team that has the budget available that our competitors have.

"It is one of the things that gives me great pleasure in beating Ferrari last year, it is not the fact that I am a competitive person, but that we beat them on half their budgets!

Still doesn't beat 'engineering' that Singaporean win with such a tight string, how much did Piquet's damaged car cost to repair? :P
By CookinFlat6
What I dont get is that Williams spanked Ferrari last year, and this year Williams are bound to benefit further from the bedded in Merc engine that will be much better from the start of the year, whereas Ferrari are gonna bring their 'evolved' engine later in the season, and have lost Alonso and have had to restart the 2015 car again much later.

yet the latest Ferrari boss has targeted 2 wins next year when in the last year they, or Williams didnt win a race

i mean, the mind boggles. Williams are in pole position to take the wins Merc give away, like RBR did last year, yet I havent heard them mention winning 2 races next year

For williams to beat Ferrari in 2014 is great, to do it properly in 2015, at the same time Ferrari are adopting Williams' fiscally responsible model, well this will be nothing short of the stamp of F1 complete ownership of the nobility throne for Williams. They will be the undisputed owners of F1 history
By Hammer278
I'd actually be disappointed this time if Williams fails to beat the truly lost Donkeys in 2015.

Btw that reminds me.....the old Arrows team of the 90s had that "LOST BOYS" logo on their car...anyone remember that? I thought it was cool....a midfield team which recognizes what they are. :hehe:
By sagi58
, Laurence Edmondson and Nate Saunders wrote:">Symonds: 2015 a 'consolidation year' for Williams

Williams technical chief Pat Symonds says 2015 is a "consolidation year" for the team as it looks to permanently re-establish itself at the front of the grid.

In 2014 Williams bounced back from one of its last ever seasons as it finished third behind Mercedes and Red Bull, a remarkable achievement having scored just five points the year before. Despite often being the second best team behind Mercedes a conservative approach to races meant it did not secure a podium until Austria.

The team also missed out on several opportunities to win races through a risk-free approach to race weekends and Symonds admits this outlook will change.

"Yes, I do," Symonds told ESPN when asked if Williams can aim for outright victories in 2015. "I call this year a consolidation year because what's really important after a season like '14, where we really did tip things on their head and got it all working, we need to make sure we keep it like that. It's important to consolidate. That's if you like a business ambition.

"It was so important last year to just get a few points every race, just keep momentum. I feel we can now recover well from any situation. So if we do take a slightly risky strategy and it doesn't come off we'll still be OK, it won't be a disaster. I have very firm rules of how I do risk assessment so I think we'll be OK and if we have potential in the car we'll certainly do what we can to challenge."

Symonds thinks Williams still needs to find the complete winning mentality it lacked last year but is confident the team is moving in the right direction.

"In terms of racing I'm really pleased with the way the race team grew with time. There's still a bit of a need to convince them their winner, and that's a very important attitude. If you don't go into a race thinking you can win you don't win, simple as that.

"So there's a little bit along the way but we've strengthened the race team even further this year. Bringing Dave Robson in, bringing Carl [Gaden] up into the engineering group … and Mark Pattinson who is new chief mechanic. It's all designed to get the whole thing running a bit more professionally, a little bit more modern. It gives me confidence that we can afford to, I'm not going to say take risks, but we don't have to be as risk-averse as we were last year."
By myownalias
That's good to know that Williams are going to play it less safe and consolidate their position, with Bottas and Massa in their cars and a Mercedes PU; wins are a reasonably expectation.
By LewEngBridewell
That's good to know that Williams are going to play it less safe and consolidate their position, with Bottas and Massa in their cars and a Mercedes PU; wins are a reasonably expectation.

I hope so! I've always had a lot of love for this team. 2015 will be a huge year for them, and it'll be a major turn-around if they can re-establish themselves at the front for a second year running.
By sagi58
 wrote:">Feature: Why 2015 is a big year for...

In the fast-paced world of Formula 1, each race, and every season, counts. Ahead of this weekend's season-opening Australian Grand Prix, GPUpdate.net looks at why 2015 is important for those competing.

Williams

Williams' revival was one of the feel good stories of 2014 as it racked up nine podiums, a pole position and third in the Constructors' championship. But one key component was absent: a victory. At times the team's natural conservatism held it back as after early season errors it focused on racking up the points in order to beat Ferrari. As it transpired, the Italian marque was but a distant threat to a Williams squad which excelled.

Once again Williams has the advantage of a Mercedes power unit and, if it can develop the aerodynamic side even further, the outfit will be in a fine position – Barcelona was not a fantastic circuit for the team last season and its progress suggests that downforce levels are increasing. The few things to iron out remain largely on the operational side, in terms of improving strategy and pit-stops.

For Valtteri Bottas, he proved in 2014 why many have talked up his natural talent for several years and, if he can continue his momentum, he'll be in good stead. A rejuvenated Felipe Massa improved towards the end of the year after being plagued by misfortune for a large chunk of last season. If the Brazilian can cut out a few errors and apply his speed on a more consistent basis – especially in races – then he'll be well placed to collect a first win in seven years.

Imagethe other teams on the grid
By sagi58
Irony at its best:

wrote:">Williams appoints Sutil as its official reserve driver

Williams Martini Racing is pleased to announce Adrian Sutil as its official Reserve Driver for the 2015 FIA Formula One World Championship season. Adrian made his Formula One debut in 2007 with the Spyker F1 team before continuing to race with the team under their new guise of Force India from 2008 until 2011. He returned to the sport in 2013, again with Force India before contesting the 2014 season with Sauber.

Adrian will spend time in the team's race simulator to ensure he is fully accustomed to the Williams Mercedes FW37 controls and procedures should he be required to step into the cockpit at any time during the current season. He has also spent time integrating himself into the team to ensure he is fully prepared to join Williams Martini Racing at any event should the need arise.

Speaking about the appointment Sir Frank Williams, Founder and Team Principal, said: "I'm delighted to have Adrian join our stable of drivers for the 2015 season. Adrian brings extensive racing experience, having competed 128 Formula One races during his career. Having most recently raced during the 2014 season also gives him excellent knowledge of the current generation of race car and new Hybrid power units, which is invaluable for anyone needing to step into the cockpit in 2015. The fight for a top Constructors’ Championship position will be intense this season, therefore we have selected a driver with recent race experience and are confident that if the need arose, he would be a solid pair of hands to race the FW37 and assist our 2015 campaign."

Adrian Sutil said: "I'm very proud to be a part of such a famous and great F1 team. To work for Sir Frank Williams and his team means a lot to me. I would like to thank everyone at Williams for their belief in my qualities and the opportunity to work with such a successful and competitive outfit."

See our F1 related articles too!