FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By LRW
Just listening to an interview from Alonso on the BBC website. He was asked if he thinks McLaren can give him the 3rd world title he is after, and he says:

I had some offers, interesting.., this year from people that are winning now, but I think McLaren Honda gives me the best..blah blah"

So I can only assume he was offered Vettle's seat, but turned it down as he doesnt think they are the future..?

Full interview at the bottom of the page
Can anyone really believe anything this guy mutters/insinuates.
He did say sometime ago that McLaren was more attractive than Red Bull. And we thought it was just sour grapes at them. Would they really have made him a seat swap offer, maybe they wanted Santander to drive with Ricc. Anyway this has a much higher chance of implosion and failure than his stint at Ferrari or than at RBR
The more I think about it the more I cannot see any good coming out of having that combo at McLaren
He could have been offered Massa's seat at Williams. :hehe:

Are they "winning"? They are doing very well - but winning? Not in my book.

They would be with Alonso. :wink:
it's all well and good if you're NOT fighting for a championship. do we need more proof of that than what we saw this year?
The second part of the Alonso last race with Ferrari video.

[youtube]MMiHa7WOZWM[/youtube]

He finishes the video saying that some will criticize him for being crazy and leaving Ferrari, a team everyone wants to drive for. But he needs to win and he's certain that the future is brighter ahead for him. Interesting choice of words to end with.
Alonso is shrewd!! He's probably banking on Honda having more development than Ferrari,
thanks to all the changes going on there, and figured he couldn't wait. Can't blame the guy!!

Good luck to him!! :thumbup:
I don't think even Alonso thinks McLaren are certain title contenders or anything, I just think he judged them to be a better shot/ team to drive for than Ferrari within the remains of his career span.

That Mclaren went for a top driver, and I'm guessing put up the cash, is at least an encouraging sign.
I don't think even Alonso thinks McLaren are certain title contenders or anything, I just think he judged them to be a better shot/ team to drive for than Ferrari within the remains of his career span.

That Mclaren went for a top driver, and I'm guessing put up the cash, is at least an encouraging sign.

Honda/McLaren or more than likely just Honda ------------------^^^^^^^^^

See our F1 related articles too!