FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Did Nicos quali success cost him the WDC?

Nico knowingly ignored race day in favour of quali glory
11%
Nico fell for the bait of Saturday glory thinking he was getting one over on Lewis
67%
Nah, drivers dont think like this - its just coincidence - Lewis and Toto were lying when they said his car was setup for race
No votes
0%
Not another fricken poll, gimme a break my head hurts from the last one
22%
I chuckle at the boys with the Jenson bromance that to this day claim that the was absolutely nothing wrong at McLaren in 2012. Whitmash single handedly nearly gutted the team. Lost them a title sponsor two years running and lost them a title all in the hopes of moving Button three or four grid spots further up the grid towards Lewis.
Yup, everything we pointed out -that looks so obvious now - had the automatic useful idiot reaction of the classically educated fans - '

" theres nothing wrong, stop this stop that, dont hurt me, support the team, how dare you not to wait till we are told by someone in the media that something is wrong - how we expected to know???"

well heres Ron confirming what we wrote in threads years ago

“As a team and with Honda, we understand the challenges of these new power units and I am in a position to say that we will be strong,”

Whether Honda are at the races or not, Dennis argues the MP4-30 will be a far better car anyway. “You have to realise something: the group that designed the 2015 car is completely different to the one that did the last two.

It is believed as many as 50 changes have been made in McLaren personnel to the design and engineering staff who work on the prototype vehicles for the following year.

Thats a guy who is not leaving any chance that the frankly disgusting culture that infested around a guy who had to be helped intensely to drive faster even if it completely trashed the team - because he was 'easy going' and 'popular' with staff and disturbingly attractive to the Insidious TP, even if not to the sponsors

At the same time the teams greatest payoff in 30 years of taking massive gambles early on talented drivers - a guy who criticized sloppy team work and was demanding, and was thought not to be attractive to sponsors because he wasnt disturbingly attractive to the tastes of the insidious TP - was deemed secondary to the business of the team, their to carry water for his superior 'marketeable' and beauty of a model F1 driver.
Apparently the looks, class and colour are more important to sponsors than ability, because ability can be solved with engineering

Its the stuff that makes you wonder why people who face this type of corrupting, lazy and cheap mentality just leave to more competitive places with competitive attitudes. Oh hold on thats what happened. its like having a fat white boxer and matching him with a muscular and quick black one, and then trying to fix the outcome because the promoter has a sexual excitement about fat white guys and thinks this means the audience will enjoy the fight :rofl:
It's hard to get over it. It's impossible to forget it. And it taints ones view of Button. It cost Lewis big time, and the most annoying part is the way he just took it all, he never ever called out Whitmarsh, and still he had the crap written about him, while Button was Mr. Nice Guy.

Lewis' naivety was his weakness in 2011 and to be fair Perez received a similar treatment in 2013 and if not for sponsorship money, he probably wouldn't have a drive by now.

Whitmarsh pursued an ideology that was bound to fail but fortunately McLaren's shareholders listened to Ron despite the strained relationship.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/15674872

What I really didn't understand about Whitmarsh is that he's clearly a very intelligent fellow and has been in F1 for a long time. It's okay to naturally feel preference for a particular driver, we can't all be each other's cup of tea, but surely he knew how important having Lewis around was to making Jenson work and if he ever needed proof he only had to look at 2012. He clearly underestimated Lewis' options when he offered lower contract terms than what he was already on and Jenson's.

For me this has been the most satisfying F1 season since 1998, unproving a lot of the absurd theories peddled by certain sections of the F1 community.
Last edited by LH44 on 26 Nov 14, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.

For me this has been the most satisfying F1 seasons since 1998, unproving a lot of the absurd theories peddled by certain sections of the F1 community.

:thumbup:
Me too LH44, me too. It's just delightful! It's not just Lewis winning, it's the 'up yours' to all the people who put him down, all those who wrote untruthful things about him, all those who called him thick, all those who said he was distracted, all those who took advantage of his good nature, all the self interested, the sneaky, the whole lot. lewis has trumped them all. And it's sweeeet!
It's not just Lewis winning, it's the 'up yours' to all the people who put him down

:clap: feels good don't it?

:yes: It feels very good. :cloud9:
Maybe it's driver preference? Nico could be trying to get the fastest and most comfortable setup for him in practice that turns out to work well in qualifying but suffers in the race compared to Lewis. It became obvious that Lewis was setting his car up for the races more and more as the season progressed, not to mention the fact that Lewis has naturally been faster than Nico in the races, whilst being more economical and easier on his tyres.

Could I use an example: Australia 2012.

Hamilton qualifies on pole with JB second a tenth behind, but JB says he lost time in the final sector which cost him pole which I didn't believe at the time. This year I had access to an onboard of him on that quali lap and there were no noticeable errors in the final sector so I stayed with my original opinion that Lewis was very fast in qualifying that day and was unbeatable and will most likely win the race.

JB outdrags Lewis into T1 on raceday and speeds away building a 3 second gap in the opening laps. After the first stint JB has to start saving fuel and Lewis begins to, bit by bit, eat into his lead (now 9s after first stops since Lewis was stuck behind Perez). The gap begins to stabilize again until the SC is called which is when SV jumps Lewis into 2nd. The race resumes and Button speeds off into the distance as Lewis is struggling to stay within the DRS zone of Vettel before dropping 1.9 behind him at the flag with Webber on his tail. Button's fastest lap was 0.4 faster than Lewis' and set roughly at the same time (56 v 57).

Now afterwards Lewis says he'll set his car up more for the race and revealed that it turns out he had the perfect front end in qualifying but in the race it was too much which was why Button was faster than him.

I had access the the Sky onboards of both drivers in the race and JB's car looked much more hooked up and predictable and Lewis' was pointy and had to make small corrections.

Maybe this could be the kind of scenario that we had this season?
I imagine Nico was in the worst position of all. Option 1: set up for pole to try and beat Lewis in the race or Option 2: go for a race setup which would allows Lewis' one lap pace to give him pole but then know that his percentages of passing Lewis in the race is low to non-existent. He chose Option 1. At least he has a shiny little trophy for his troubles. :wink:
I imagine Nico was in the worst position of all. Option 1: set up for pole to try and beat Lewis in the race or Option 2: go for a race setup which would allows Lewis' one lap pace to give him pole but then know that his percentages of passing Lewis in the race is low to non-existent. He chose Option 1. At least he has a shiny little trophy for his troubles. :wink:

How do you know it's little? :wink:

How do you know it's little? :wink:

He's...emm...German. :rofl: (Here we go...)

See our F1 related articles too!