FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Which was the most dominant F1 car (by season) of all time?

1978 Lotus
No votes
0%
1992 Williams
No votes
0%
1988 McLaren
50%
2002 Ferrari
No votes
0%
2013 Red Bull
17%
2014 Mercedes
33%
Thought with the end of the season and of course Mercedes dominating the 2014 season I would open a poll to see what you all thought was the most dominant F1 car of all time. For consistency, I am only including the main season in which the car was used.

1978 Lotus - Dominated by taking advantage of ground effect winning 8/16 races and getting a 1-2 in the championship despite Peterson's tragic death ( :( ) at Monza.

1988 McLaren - 15 wins and 15 pole positions in 16 races, and in an era where reliability was not bulletproof only had 1 mechanical DNF all season (Prost at Monza).

1992 Williams - 10 wins from 16 and ended a run of 4 consecutive seasons of McLaren Honda winning the Drivers and Constructors titles.

2002 Ferrari - 15 wins in 17 races and has the record of the only season in which a single driver (Schumacher) finished on the podium in EVERY race. Won 11

2013 Red Bull - Maybe didnt dominate the first half of the season too much, however it allowed Vettel to become the first driver in F1 history to win 9 consecutive races in the same season.

2014 Mercedes - Most F1 wins ever with 16 out of 19 races and 11 one-two finishes. Only downside was that the reliability wasn't bulletproof.
Last edited by Ferrari man 009 on 25 Nov 14, 00:47, edited 3 times in total.
I'm torn between two , can't decide.
Too many different yardsticks I think so we'll never have anything close to an apples to apples comparison. The 88 McLaren was the very definition of the word, the fact that Prost and Senna piloted the cars adds to the mysticism of it and it's hard to pass up the allure of that.

I think Mercedes could have trumped that record, more than any other car on that list, they came very close... but they fell just short. Had they won more than the 16 races I could have given them the nod because the number of 1-2 finishes as well. I know that reliability in the past played a factor, always. But to counteract that you have a bewilderingly complex machine coupled with a brand new engine formula and the harvesting that went along with it. The fact that we didn't see more mechanical issues is a wonder in and of itself. The WO5 is a fantastic machine, but I've got to put it second to the MP4/4. The gap that car on the rest of the field was frightening.
You missed the 1992 Williams FW14 in which WIlliams took driver and constructors titles, 10 wins from 16 races.

Tried to keep it to 1 season per team but your right, 1992 would have been better than 1987

not too late to change the name is it?
You missed the option for the 2015 Merc AMG MONSTER

already scaring the bejesus out of Horner and MnM/Newarrival/next panick hire

If they work out the rear brake issues... scary will be an understatement.
You missed the 1992 Williams FW14 in which WIlliams took driver and constructors titles, 10 wins from 16 races.

Tried to keep it to 1 season per team but your right, 1992 would have been better than 1987

not too late to change the name is it?

Edited
Too many different yardsticks I think so we'll never have anything close to an apples to apples comparison. The 88 McLaren was the very definition of the word, the fact that Prost and Senna piloted the cars adds to the mysticism of it and it's hard to pass up the allure of that.

I think Mercedes could have trumped that record, more than any other car on that list, they came very close... but they fell just short. Had they won more than the 16 races I could have given them the nod because the number of 1-2 finishes as well. I know that reliability in the past played a factor, always. But to counteract that you have a bewilderingly complex machine coupled with a brand new engine formula and the harvesting that went along with it. The fact that we didn't see more mechanical issues is a wonder in and of itself. The WO5 is a fantastic machine, but I've got to put it second to the MP4/4. The gap that car on the rest of the field was frightening.

Those are the two Im Dithering between.
The 2002 Ferrari did not start out well but after the flyaway races they were untouchable. Only DC managed to sneak a win in Monaco thanks to his skills :D but other than that it was Ferrari all the way in terms of performance and reliability.

I believe Hamilton would've scored more points than he did if he had that Ferrari. I voted for the 1988 season, but I'd put the 2002 Ferrari second. Then comes 2014.
1988 McLaren. Supreme effort, winning every race except one. That'll be difficult for any team to beat, although several have come close in subsequent years.

See our F1 related articles too!