FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
Everyone's said something like that so i guess so. Just seems that things like changing down the gears for taking corners is so much an automatic part of driving that it'd be pretty weird not to do it.

Funny you should say that!! Never having driven standard/manual,
I can't imagine needing a third pedal, let alone gears to shift into!!
I have a friend who owns a driving school that has offered to give
me lessons. For free, even. I declined.
No idea how to drive an auto, would worry that id try to change gear and stick it in reverse or something. Am interested to hear what sagi says about the cvt.

Tuck your left foot behind your right leg so you can not use the brake pedal as the clutch.
Everyone's said something like that so i guess so. Just seems that things like changing down the gears for taking corners is so much an automatic part of driving that it'd be pretty weird not to do it.

Shifting down a gear for a corner or roundabout is satisfying when you match the revs and are able to just power out of the corner in a smooth and fuel efficient manner, it's one of life's little nice moments, I don't like not having that level of control.
Shifting down a gear for a corner or roundabout is satisfying when you match the revs and are able to just power out of the corner in a smooth and fuel efficient manner, it's one of life's little nice moments...

Maybe that's the difference? I drive to get from A to B, not because it's a pleasure.
Not that I don't love to drive; just that it's not why I get behind the wheel.

... I don't like not having that level of control.

Common ground!! If I'm in a car, I have to be driving! Not because I think I'm a better
driver than anyone else, just that I can't relinquish that "control"!! :blush:
I can't (afford to) drive a manual anymore. Probably because everytime I get into one now I tend to drive it like its a racing car.
Shifting down a gear for a corner or roundabout is satisfying when you match the revs and are able to just power out of the corner in a smooth and fuel efficient manner, it's one of life's little nice moments...

Maybe that's the difference? I drive to get from A to B, not because it's a pleasure.
Not that I don't love to drive; just that it's not why I get behind the wheel.

... I don't like not having that level of control.

Common ground!! If I'm in a car, I have to be driving! Not because I think I'm a better
driver than anyone else, just that I can't relinquish that "control"!! :blush:

It's a case of being safer too, I've noticed that the times I've driven an automatic, even though Its never been my car, I am paying less attention to the road than I otherwise would with a manual because you just don't have to think so far ahead/

I can't (afford to) drive a manual anymore. Probably because everytime I get into one now I tend to drive it like its a racing car.

If you drive it correctly, you can be fast and not wreck the gearbox :wink:
It's a case of being safer too, I've noticed that the times I've driven an automatic, even though Its never been my car, I am paying less attention to the road than I otherwise would with a manual because you just don't have to think so far ahead.

I don't find that to be the case, I hear many people refer to Automatics as lazy, especially in Europe where autos are less common. Personally I find driving an automatic more concentration intensive because I am aware that I am doing less physically , it must simply be a a mindset conditioning thing for some.
I flick it into manual and fiddle with my paddles.

I've nothing against what you do in the privacy of your own car but please keep that filth off of the forum.

I second that motion:nono:

Shifting down a gear for a corner or roundabout is satisfying when you match the revs and are able to just power out of the corner in a smooth and fuel efficient manner, it's one of life's little nice moments, I don't like not having that level of control.

SUCH a control freak :D
I would prefer a manual "stick shift" as well, and I am not young...

I'm sorry, I didn't meant to be offensive!! :blush:
I should have said "relatively young" instead!

You'll have to do better than that to offend me... :hehe:

...I'd be interested to know your thoughts on your new car, smaller engined cars and CVT's tend to be most annoying because the engine tends to be more noisy than a bigger engine, that coupled with the rubber band like CVT means a loud constant drone under acceleration, which would drive me crazy!

I'm betting that won't be a problem, as I tend to have my stereo cranked or I'm talking on my cell!:P
But, I will let you know how it goes!!

Careful with that, plus it's becoming illegal in more and more states south of your border.
It's a case of being safer too, I've noticed that the times I've driven an automatic, even though Its never been my car, I am paying less attention to the road than I otherwise would with a manual because you just don't have to think so far ahead.

I don't find that to be the case, I hear many people refer to Automatics as lazy, especially in Europe where autos are less common. Personally I find driving an automatic more concentration intensive because I am aware that I am doing less physically , it must simply be a a mindset conditioning thing for some.

Plus I have more time and focus to think ahead and watch my traffic environment for potential dangers precisely because I don't have to worry about selecting gears and pushing the clutch.
...I'd be interested to know your thoughts on your new car, smaller engined cars and CVT's tend to be most annoying because the engine tends to be more noisy than a bigger engine, that coupled with the rubber band like CVT means a loud constant drone under acceleration, which would drive me crazy!

I'm betting that won't be a problem, as I tend to have my stereo cranked or I'm talking on my cell!:P
But, I will let you know how it goes!!

Careful with that, plus it's becoming illegal in more and more states south of your border.

Well, I picked it up, this afternoon!!

MOA, I drove it home (about 10km) and in traffic, so not a lot of feedback, yet!
But, I can tell you it was a smooth, quiet ride!!
I want to take it out on the highway, in the morning, will tell you more!!

DD, it's illegal to talk/text and drive, up here, too!! :blush:

But, not to worry, this car has a bluetooth!!
Just came in from setting phone numbers... radio stations... changing the display colour...

Ok, then...

I've had the chance to drive on city roads and on the highway with my beauty!!
As far as I'm concerned, the car is very quiet, the ride is smooth and I love that
I don't feel my car stressing until it shifts into the next gear. The transition is
so smooth and so very gradual, you don't feel that sputtering that goes with the
changes in gears!!

All in all... LOVE IT!! :thumbup:
It works for you, that's great, but I kinda like the "shift-shock" that you get from a traditional six speed gearbox, but in the cars I have driven, if I drive less aggressively, the changes are smooth and hardly any engine noise, but I have a lead foot, which tends to become annoying in CVT's as it holds it revs under heavy acceleration. As I said, if a CVT works for you, that's great, everyone is different, which makes it an interesting world, we all can't be Lewis Hamilton fans... j/k :hehe:

See our F1 related articles too!