FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
My son bought a car that has cvt, he's going back to a manual as too many expensive issues keep occuring.

That's something that I had heard a lot as well, CVT's being problematic; which is probably why so many car makers are sticking with standard auto boxes; manual's are fairly rare here in the US from what I've been able to gather!

Though not rare, here in Canada, most of the people I know have automatic transmissions in their vehicles.
Overall, it's those with pickups or the younger guys who prefer the manual stick shifts!

I would prefer a manual "stick shift" as well, and I am not young; but my wife can not drive a stick (no dirty remarks DD), so I had to get an auto.

That's said, I have never tried to drive a manual with the gearbox on the right; I tend to steer with my right hand as that's what I am used to in the UK!
I always swore I would never get an Auto - but now I have one, I'm never going back.

Ive got a Semi...

In my defence, I'm not sure if you mean Semi is the name of the car/truck/SUV, or if you mean it's a semi-automatic?
((when I googled it, all sorts of firearms came up!! :yikes: ))
I would prefer a manual "stick shift" as well, and I am not young...

I'm sorry, I didn't meant to be offensive!! :blush:
I should have said "relatively young" instead!

You'll have to do better than that to offend me... :hehe:

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on your new car, smaller engined cars and CVT's tend to be most annoying because the engine tends to be more noisy than a bigger engine, that coupled with the rubber band like CVT means a loud constant drone under acceleration, which would drive me crazy!

I always swore I would never get an Auto - but now I have one, I'm never going back.

Ive got a Semi...

What was you logic of getting a semi-automatic? I understand the logic of manual or a full auto, but semi-auto! It would seem odd to me having to shift gears without pushing in the clutch, or do you have one of those paddle shifter systems, which I guess would make more sense, no clutch with a h-gate would be weird!
What was you logic of getting a semi-automatic? I understand the logic of manual or a full auto, but semi-auto! It would seem odd to me having to shift gears without pushing in the clutch, or do you have one of those paddle shifter systems, which I guess would make more sense, no clutch with a h-gate would be weird!

No, its a modern semi-auto. Most the time its in its full lazy-boi-Auto mode. But every now and then I flick it into manual and fiddle with my paddles.
No idea how to drive an auto, would worry that id try to change gear and stick it in reverse or something. Am interested to hear what sagi says about the cvt.

No, its a modern semi-auto. Most the time its in its full lazy-boi-Auto mode. But every now and then I flick it into manual and fiddle with my paddles.

That's similar to what I have; but I don't have paddles, I have a stupid rocker switch on the side of the gearshift, which just feels weird, especially as the buttons are switched, click forward for up, click backwards for down!

No idea how to drive an auto, would worry that id try to change gear and stick it in reverse or something. Am interested to hear what sagi says about the cvt.

In every auto I have driven, it is not possible to shift into reverse and do any damage, the car makers had thought of that. And you do get used to it; at first I was searching for the clutch but after maybe 2 - 3 hours of driving that urge goes away.
Everyone's said something like that so i guess so. Just seems that things like changing down the gears for taking corners is so much an automatic part of driving that it'd be pretty weird not to do it.
I would prefer a manual "stick shift" as well, and I am not young...

I'm sorry, I didn't meant to be offensive!! :blush:
I should have said "relatively young" instead!

You'll have to do better than that to offend me... :hehe:

...I'd be interested to know your thoughts on your new car, smaller engined cars and CVT's tend to be most annoying because the engine tends to be more noisy than a bigger engine, that coupled with the rubber band like CVT means a loud constant drone under acceleration, which would drive me crazy!

I'm betting that won't be a problem, as I tend to have my stereo cranked or I'm talking on my cell! :P
But, I will let you know how it goes!!

See our F1 related articles too!