FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
By sagi58
Wasn't sure where to post this, since so many of the "green" car threads have been locked.
If any of the moderators feels there's a better place for this, you have the power to move it...

, Gerry Malloy wrote:">Do hybrids really save money?

Only about one in three saves customers money according to a recent U.S. study

According to a study recently released by Vincentric, a U.S.-based company that specializes in analyzing cost-of-ownership data for vehicles, only 10 of 31 hybrids analyzed were found to have a lower total cost-of-ownership than their closest gasoline-only counterparts.

Over the past three years, the company says, the percentage of cost-effective hybrids has dropped from 44% in 2012, to 39% in 2013, to just over 32% now.

When the costs to own and operate all 31 model-year 2014 hybrid vehicles were taken analyzed, the average five-year cost-of-ownership was $1,334 more than their gasoline-only counterparts. (All cost figures in $US.)

“In some cases, fuel cost savings associated with hybrid vehicles are able to offset their price premium," said David Wurster, Vincentric's president.

"However, hybrids are losing their competitive edge due to the improved fuel economy of gas-powered combustion engines and falling fuel prices,” he added.

The average price premium for a hybrid was $4,325, with an average fuel cost savings of $3,001.

Total cost-of-ownership was calculated using eight different cost factors: depreciation, fees & taxes, financing, fuel, insurance, maintenance, opportunity cost, and repairs.

The analysis assumed vehicle ownership of five years and 24,000 km (15,000 miles) of driving annually.

The 10 hybrids that did achieve lower ownership costs, in descending order of estimated savings were:

2014 Lexus CT 200h ($7,632)

2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid ($3,356)

2014 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid ($3,252)

2014 Audi Q5 Hybrid ($2,611)

2014 Acura ILX Hybrid ($1,613)

2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid ($1,379)

2014 Lexus ES 300h ($1,179)

2014 Toyota Camry 2014.5 Hybrid ($1,075)

2014 Infiniti QX60 Hybrid ($191)

2014 Honda Insight ($86)

“Consumers must look at individual models to determine whether a hybrid or its gas-powered counterpart has lower ownership costs and will save them money in the long run,” Wurster advised.

Image p.s. The Vincentric calculations for all 31 models are also listed.
Three very important facts and only one of them is addressed in this review. Gas prices (at least in the US) are lower than they've been in five years and gasoline powered cars keep getting more efficient. That's rightfully pointed out here.

What's more than a bit deceptive is the miles driven. No one drives 5000 miles a year. The average is 12000. That would favor the hybrids more. The other aspect is that it used to be that a hybrid vehicle was a Prius, or something practical like that designed for high mileage. Now everything from Cadilac Escalades to Luxury big Lexus cars... not the best example of a hybrid if cost of ownership is what's being compared.

It would be interesting to see this run again but with real world metrics.
Three very important facts and only one of them is addressed in this review. Gas prices (at least in the US) are lower than they've been in five years and gasoline powered cars keep getting more efficient. That's rightfully pointed out here.

What's more than a bit deceptive is the miles driven. No one drives 5000 miles a year. The average is 12000. That would favor the hybrids more. The other aspect is that it used to be that a hybrid vehicle was a Prius, or something practical like that designed for high mileage. Now everything from Cadilac Escalades to Luxury big Lexus cars... not the best example of a hybrid if cost of ownership is what's being compared.

They based their analysis on 15k, which is close enough to a real-life average.
Just wanted to point that out - as you were... :thumbup:

Shows my reading comprehension pre morning coffee. I swear I read it this morning as 5 years of ownership and 5k miles driven annually!

Shows my reading comprehension pre morning coffee. I swear I read it this morning as 5 years of ownership and 5k miles driven annually!

There are some things money can't buy
for everything else there's DD
:D
Tomorrow they'll look at my house and take some measurements. Next week, they'll present their proposal for converting my house to solar.
Currently, there are some appealing state and federal tax incentives available, which will be phased out over the next two years.
Can you sell electric to your provider?

UK deals on that used to be really good but aren't any more.
That would make my house too slimy. I Prefer the sunshine :)
Can you sell electric to your provider?

Yeah, at wholesale price. It works more like this: during the day or in the summer, the meter runs backwards and you build up a credit that you then use up at night or in the winter.
I'd have to cut down about 20 old growth trees to have effective solar. :(

Chop the trees down and burn them for heat in winter, then use the solar panels to store energy in spring, then grow the trees back in time for autumn to start the cycle again
could even add negative equity to your re-mortgage if handled correctly

err.....hold on, I havent really thought that through, scrap that

See our F1 related articles too!