FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Discuss your own car, automotive news and latest supercar launches.
You can drive a 911 properly everyday, have all the power and acceleration you will ever need around town, go shopping, airport, use it as a runabout, low service costs (as long as eletronics are ok) turning circcle like a London cab, visibility is perfect, everything is designed and evolved over 50 years, everything works and is thought about

and you can whip any posers in Italian rusting crap cars, cos the owners are too scared to drive them, and even if they race or drive them fast they have to take them straight into the service center to spend big money

50 years of continuous development and evolution - the best car in the world, (once you understand how a sudden snap of killer oversteer works on your average Uk roundabout hehe)
By Hammer278
My taste lies heavily on the look of a car while its standing still. I don't really look at the limits of a car (or its sheer functionality so to speak) since I don't believe I'd be testing them at any point, unless I take it to a track and even then I'd be just having fun going at speed.

Which is why I still love my old underpowered lamb of an E34, since it looks ferocious (to me) while standing still and rock solid at 180kph on a highway. :D
For me the fun is in driving, and you don't need top speed or a race track to get the real fun out of a car that handles perfectly. Ofcourse you don't drive dangerously in built up areas but you gonna have your known roads and 'road circuits' that give you things like a chance to go full bore through the first few gears or go round corners controlling the slip with throttle - real tracks are best when you have time
For this type of driving fun any 911 is the best bang for your buck by far IMHO
Last edited by CookinFlat6 on 29 Oct 14, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
One of the best racing quotes ever is from James Garner. ''Going 180 MPH down a straightaway is not that thrilling to me...what is more thrilling is taking a 30 MPH corner at 29.9 MPH."

60 Mph can be absolutely thrilling in the right environment, that's why I've been bitten by the AX bug. Old Porsches don't excel there but to me it's thrilling that I can more than hold my own against the majority of modern "sporty" cars even though I'm in a nearly 30 year old classic. Frankly the fun part of driving is from 40 to 120 anything more than that, I'm with James, you keep the change.

BTW Hammer, I've always loved the BMW 2002. You may not even know what it looks like but It's by far my favorite. I've driven a preponderance of German cars, mostly VW's and what I liked was being able to get the most bang for the buck in German engineering. I had a Mk II GTI that would in every way shape and form out drive the neighbor's BMW 318i for 1/2 the price. I thought I was so smug... but neighbor in the BMW got laid more I'm sure.
By LRW
My favourite BMW I never owned was the e46 estate:

My favourite BMW I owned was the e87:

Oh s*** this is so frickin' lame......

[youtube]C6l9rG90agk[/youtube]
By racechick
Ok so it's not a Porsche. But it's a very nice car. And it's yellow :thumbup:

:yikes::yikes::yikes: can't put pictures on anymore!! Is it that thing you were on about LRW? And I have SUCH a lovely yellow car to show you!!!
By Hammer278
One of the best racing quotes ever is from James Garner. ''Going 180 MPH down a straightaway is not that thrilling to me...what is more thrilling is taking a 30 MPH corner at 29.9 MPH."

60 Mph can be absolutely thrilling in the right environment, that's why I've been bitten by the AX bug. Old Porsches don't excel there but to me it's thrilling that I can more than hold my own against the majority of modern "sporty" cars even though I'm in a nearly 30 year old classic. Frankly the fun part of driving is from 40 to 120 anything more than that, I'm with James, you keep the change.

BTW Hammer, I've always loved the BMW 2002. You may not even know what it looks like but It's by far my favorite. I've driven a preponderance of German cars, mostly VW's and what I liked was being able to get the most bang for the buck in German engineering. I had a Mk II GTI that would in every way shape and form out drive the neighbor's BMW 318i for 1/2 the price. I thought I was so smug... but neighbor in the BMW got laid more I'm sure.

How 'young' do you think I am? :hehe: I drive a car which was manufactured in 1996, a facelift model of the 1992 E34. I've done a lot of study from the E24 (6s) onwards and just love the older cars. The ones on the road today, the 3, 5, 6 look almost alike and seem to have lost their identity unfortunately.

And fully agree on the James Garner part. I just appreciate how an 18 year old car still feels better (safer) at speed compared to the many new cars out there today. In terms of testing out the car at corners, I limit myself to go kart circuits. I've done a few mistakes before which cost me and promised to never monkey around on the pedestrian streets again.
By LRW

:):hehe::rofl::headpat:

You're so welcomed in my lounge!

Oi. Don't take the piss. I admitted up front it was amazingly lame.

I was young and excited at having my first ever brand new car.
By racechick
Ok, here's the nice yellow car, as I say , I'm afraid it isn't a porsche, but it's rather nice.

Ps. I still couldn't put the picture on the normal way.
By racechick
I know :blush: I'm sorry, but it's so pretty!
Did you guess straight away what it was?
That's okay RC, McLaren and Porsche have a very successful partnership in their past. It's the very reason I became an F1 fan. You're very welcomed in my lounge as well.
The only F1 link for Porsche is Mclaren, so we should welcome those with our dna into our lounge, we dont have any qualifiers like nationality or pure bloodlines here
By racechick
That's okay RC, McLaren and Porsche have a very successful partnership in their past. It's the very reason I became an F1 fan. You're very welcomed in my lounge as well.

Thank you. And I'm enjoying it here immensely. :cloud9:

See our F1 related articles too!