FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Here I think is the most interesting Team up of Drivers this year, Coulthard and Webber, But what do you guys think of Webber???, A man who did really quite well in F3000 but was never the champion, An F1 star for some years who got 2 points on his Debut IN A MINARDI!!!. Sinse then he has hustled absoloute Pigs with wheels onto places on the Grid they really shouldn't be and every now and then has shown flashes of brilliance on the track. More than not though he has bumped into people, gone off and overdrove the car till it breaks.
I personnally wonder about him, Yes he is a stunning qualifier, I think Better than Trulli, but you don't get points for Grid spots, his race craft is suspect, It says a lot that in his first year with a decent team mate ( Hiedfeld) he pretty much outqualified him, usually a couple of places in front of him. SO it says quite a lot that usually by half way through the race Nick would be in front of him and pick up the points.

Dicuss. :)
By Irv the Swerve
There is no doubting about his Q postions but he does fade through the race. Maybe it's him or maybe its the car underneath him. Give Webber a solid car and he'll move up the ranks.
By R00DIT
i think it's largely the car to be honest. the williams last year wasnt up to much, and so much for their final race hi-spec cosworth engine. did he even finish a lap?
By Stephen
I'm liking the 'Trulli Trulli' reference! :)

Like many on the grid, give him a decent car and he'll achieve decent results, however I'm not sure if he's World Champion quality. At the moment, I'd drop him into the DC bracket, a nearly man.
By darwin dali
Overrated, has been for years. This will be his last gig at Red Bull - after that, back to Aussieland and start a farm or somtin'.
By manmonkee
Well heres a thing, in the years Webber was at Jaguar even though the team loved him he didn't get one Podium, Now Irv the swerve did, Eddie got a Couple, at least one at Imola if my memory serves me right, even Coulthard got a Podium in the Red Bull which lets face it would have been the Jag if Ford hadn't sold up.

I think people get too impressed by qualifing, and Webber is a VERY impressive qualifier, people are constantly going on about how Webber beat Hiedeld, WHAT!?? how did he beat him?, by scoring less points than him??, in That case Fizzi has trounced Alonso the last 2 years. Webber out qualified Nick, but you don't get points for that.
By Marco
Manmonkee you've hit the nail on the head so to speak, great qualifier and perhaps lucky on his debut with Minardi. It's not all him though, his cars have been very poor when he's been exceptional, front row in Malaysia with Jaguar comes to mind, a faulty clutch and awful launch control system ended that day. He improved during races at the start of last year, with great performances at Monaco and Australia, only for his car to let go in podium position places. :roll:
By bud
DD the only thing overated has always been your posts!

Maybe he could come back and start a farm next door to mine, and catch a kangaroo and hop into town for a beer with some crocodile hunters? stupid yank comments!
By Irv the Swerve
There is win in him but not anywhere near a championship contender. A RBR win, maybe..
By x_laura_x
I think Trulli is a better qualifier than Webber... :P
By Stephen

But he's a flaming useless racing driver...just kidding! ;)
By x_laura_x

But he's a flaming useless racing driver...just kidding! ;)

Well, he certainly isn't the best racing driver! Ha ha... if only there was a scoring system for qualifying...
By Marco
I would be in favour of that, time for another poll! ;)
By manmonkee
God lets not get into that one again!, dodgey drivers who only have the capacity to drive fast for only a single lap shouldn't influence a change in the rules
By Stephen
God lets not get into that one again!, dodgey drivers who only have the capacity to drive fast for only a single lap shouldn't influence a change in the rules

Agreed, but perhaps an idea should F1 start using 22 identical cars! :wink:

See our F1 related articles too!