FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By Selcouth_Feline
D'you think STR haven't announced their drivers yet because Berger is trying to buy out Bourdais's contract from Newman/Haas?
By Irv the Swerve
Maybe, but Bourdais said it himself that he wants to retain his title for next year.
Given a lot of money though.... :)
By R00DIT
D'you think STR haven't announced their drivers yet because Berger is trying to buy out Bourdais's contract from Newman/Haas?

could be and this would make sense, nice insight sf. 8)

how many good young drivers are there right now. i find it very exciting for f1s future!!
By McLaren786
If I was bourdais i woudn't accept an STR deal for the following reasons:

1. Lose a top ride for a backmarker car.
2. STR doesn't allow talent to shine through because it will always be the shadow of red bull, look at Luizzi he isn't exactly talentless yet he hardly gets any recognition.

I think it's a smart move because in 2008 when you can buy customer cars and slick tyres and smaller budgets will allow STR to be alot more competitive.
By Stephen
Could be a gamble worth taking though, F1 is so hard to get into it's never a good idea to turn down a drive. Look at Alonso, he came from Minardi of all places!!

And with STR using some of Adrian Newey's input, they must be considered a team on the up. Especially when you consider how much annoyance they caused Red Bull last season.
By Marco
i agree with Mclaren on this, he'd be a fool to rush into STR right now. However, signing for 08, with conditions based upon the performance of the team during next season would be a sensible idea. But even then, why not Red Bull?
By Irv the Swerve
JV might come back since he hasn't done anything in America, to a race seat at STR.
By Selcouth_Feline
JV might come back since he hasn't done anything in America, to a race seat at STR.

I think he still wants to race in America but is struggling to find the sponsorship required?
By Stephen

I think he still wants to race in America but is struggling to find the sponsorship required?

So his singing career went well then? :roll:
By McLaren786
Could be a gamble worth taking though, F1 is so hard to get into it's never a good idea to turn down a drive. Look at Alonso, he came from Minardi of all places!!

And with STR using some of Adrian Newey's input, they must be considered a team on the up. Especially when you consider how much annoyance they caused Red Bull last season.

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=137661

Guess they're going to have more input than you think, in fact the whole chassis will be designed by newey. It's a legal loophole because the the RB3 is a biproduct of reb ull technologies and not red bull racing and are therefore allowed to use the RB3 next year.
By bud
I think if Bordais was offered the drive this year then he would take it over Champ car! what driver wouldnt? And he would replace Luizzi and have Speed as team mate. The US market would open its eyes to STR with a Yank and a Yank series title holder in the one team.
But if they do use Modified RB3's then thats just illegal i dont care if they find a loophole or not. then again Neweys design all revolved around the Renault engines cooling capabilities so just sticking a Ferrari engine in Neweys RB3 wont work. alot of changes to the aero surrounding the engines would need to be made and the thing with a newey design.... once its on one design path it doesnt like to go back a few steps and take another path
By Marco
But if it's just the tub, suspension, aero, brakes, electronics etc that are copied that would probably do it. For a different engine you're only talking about different cooling, exhaust, potentially where the fuel/oil tank lives and perhaps the rear cowling where the exhaust goes out.

It's very possible to use the same chassis, remember this doesn't mean car, just the tub.
By R00DIT
But if it's just the tub, suspension, aero, brakes, electronics etc that are copied that would probably do it. For a different engine you're only talking about different cooling, exhaust, potentially where the fuel/oil tank lives and perhaps the rear cowling where the exhaust goes out.

It's very possible to use the same chassis, remember this doesn't mean car, just the tub.

is that right? i thought the chassis was built around the internals, not the other way round?
By bud
Yeah its not a question of STR not being able to use the RB3 chassis with the Ferrari engine its just the question of optimum performance of the design.
Remember Newey designed the RB3 with the Renault engine in mind as its more efficient cooling and being able to package it tighter than the Ferrari,
so sticking the Ferrari engine in there will need the newey design altered thus the performance will lack, probably only slightly but enough for RBR to have an advantage, which is what Redbull would probably want anyway.

See our F1 related articles too!