FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By darwin dali
If this is a reason, how do you explain the success of drivers from Brazil, a third world country?
By bud
i thought you knew geography :lol: look north from brazil and you will see a large continent with alot of money i think you may even live there! The latin americans main route to europe is through the US, then again you have drivers with rich families or large sponsor backing who could afford to go race in the UK ie Ayrton or even Rubens !
and Brazil while it has its poverty also has its fair share of rich people! the gap between is just larger than most western countries

Australia is isolated from the rest of the world and its open wheel racing is almost non existant with only "small" series of formula ford. Touring car racing is where the money is at in OZ. There isnt alot of money sponsor wise to go race overseas as most australian sponsors wont get anything in return with a driver racing in a lesser euro open wheel series as would get no coverage in australia and the companies who would be willing to sponsor are not based in europe so local spin off sales would be non existant. Webber almost had to come home a few times if not for financial assistance from friends or getting sponsorship money ie fosters aussie beer (big in UK wont even see a true blue ozzie drinking it though :lol: )

although with team australia in the champ car and atlantic series there is the main route which will help australian drivers race open wheel internationally and not let their talent go to V8 Supercars where the rest of the world will not see their skills.
By darwin dali
There are some F1 drivers (e.g., RS) who used to drive in Japan's lower series...
With the historical ties between Australia and the UK and almost no language barrier (mate!), I doubt it would be too difficult for an outstanding driver to get to Europe. Just face it, there aren't that many around in Aussieland. :D
Mudding around in the outback with a Jeep just doesn't lend itself to F1's high tech precision driving :mrgreen:
Maybe Paris - Dakar? :wink:
By bud
its not about the language barrier its about CASH many have been over but had to return due to lack of funds. its simple! Craig loundes whos won the V8 title while in his early 20's and just came runner up this past weekend used to be team mates to Juan pablo in f3 i think it was, in the uk and was just as good as him.
Money was the deciding factor in him returning home!

and youre lack of knowledge regarding australia with your stereotypes is making you sound Very VERY american are you sure you were born in Switzerland?

PS an aussie just won the world Karting title, 8) the pure racing category where skill is the major factor :wink:
By darwin dali
So you're saying there aren't to quote you "drivers with rich families or large sponsor backing who could afford to go race in the UK" in Australia? Is it the genes or your water down there? :D
By bud
So you're saying there aren't to quote you "drivers with rich families or large sponsor backing who could afford to go race in the UK" in Australia? Is it the genes or your water down there? :D

youre not taking into account population australias populas is the same as New York alone.....

so take the percent of australians that acutally participate in motorsport then the percent of those that have rich backgrounds and the percent of those who can afford to go overseas that actually have talent well the answers pretty easy to figure out for a PHD
By darwin dali
Well, that's a whole different argument you're introducing. Population size and all. That shouldn't matter if Aussieland was brimming with F1 talent. See, e.g., Austria with two champions and about the same number of drivers in F1 over the years as Australia with a third of the population.
And if you consider that the vast majority of Brazilians are poor or very poor, the absolute number of rich families and companies is most likely not vastly different from Australia.
Just admit it, Aussies don't have the knack for F1 - see the loser MW! :mrgreen:
By bud
Youre missing the point, Austria has the location, its smack in the middle of Europe! Brazil Mexico all has the Location of being in the Americas and the path through the USA where money and sponsors is right there for the taking.

You know nothing of Australia or its racing scene you dont know the drivers who struggle to stay in the sport due to the costs involved. Sponsorship for anything other than V8s is extremely hard to get in this country.
By Stephen
I was about to mention the commonwealth, but I think i'll keep my mouth shut! :D

So bud, given that Australia is into it's motorsport, are there any drivers you'd like to see move into F1?
By x_laura_x
I'd meet Jarno Trulli and ask him to tell me all the juicy stuff that went on behind the scenes during his love - hate relationship with Flav.
By x_laura_x
So Laura I suppose you have tasted Trulli's famous wine? :)

http://www.aladis.be/html-nl/index.php?selectie=film

Welcome!! :)

Ha! Thanx for the welcome... no i haven't tasted his wine unfortunatley.

1: I hate red wine!
2: I don't even drink...
3: I have no idea where to get it from!

But if I had the oppurtunity, i'd taste his wine anyday!
By Marco
Hola Laura - Stephen can you organise a group buy for some of Trullis plonk? :D
By x_laura_x

Eeek!!!! Sounds good to me! :D

Even if I hate red wine... haha!
By Stephen

Eeek!!!! Sounds good to me! :D

Even if I hate red wine... haha!

I'll do some investigation, it's probably at least 35 quid a pop! :shock: And I'm cheap! :twisted:

See our F1 related articles too!